1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yikes...question for everybody.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lvgal04, Mar 8, 2005.

1. lvgal04

lvgal04 New Member

2. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Some of the claims I've read about replacing parts are not for normal Prius driving but for their use in racing (yes, the Prius can race and has been modified for races).

I will simply say it is misleading to state that a Prius battery must be replaced. Your respondent may be referring to a guarantee of at least x miles of battery life.

You will find reassuring stories of high-mileage hybrids by searching for "Prius taxi" or John1701a. And perhaps you will get more reassurance than I (only 4500 miles) can give you.

Your caution and research into any used car are laudable.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think the primary hybrid bashers are those hicks with pickups. I'm sure you 've seen the rear window graphics of a little boy peeing on the other brand pickup.

Classy.

4. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    If the car has been well maintained, there should be no problem. A lot has to do with how it was driven and if the proper fluid changes were done. The only thing I recall about the first-gen Prius was that they were hard on tires, but when owners upgraded to better tires, things went better. With gas prices rising wildly, the Prius may be an excellent choice for someone with a limited income.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Make sure they incorporated all TSBs and recalls.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would add one thing the routine maintenance on the G2 ( 03 or less) was covered by Toyota was covered in the purchase. Unless the person you are buying from is a total slug (and from you post it seems not!!) I would say go for it. We expect our gas to be at 2.30 a gallon here in Washington in a few weeks or less. It is never going to get better. I am not an expert but from my view point we are in trouble as far as the weather and environment is in trouble. The Governor of Montana has requested the National Guard to be returned for the fire season. My son works in the DEQ and folks there are getting nervous. This may work for you on many levels.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you add up the numbers and reliability record, the "new" prius will cost you a lot less and last a lot longer. With the use you will get out of it, it will be like owning a new car. Just make sure (mentioned above) that you get all the services and recalls done.

8. jonm

jonm New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"70587)</div>
    OMG Jayman that has got me thinking...we should have someone design that little kid peeing on a gas barrel! hehe that would be hilarious.

9. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonm\";p=\"70644)</div>
    A gas pump would be more identifiable.

Does somebody own a copyright/trademark on that character, or is it public domain? The first time I saw that kid I thought it was Calvin of Calvin & Hobbes.

10. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    We bought a 2001 Prius here in Japan in December 04. It has been the best car we have ever bought - it was well maintained and we had it checked before we bought - just in case, you should see if you can do the same. It had 75,000 kms on it and it looks and drives like a new car.

I track the auction prices of used Prii weekly and they are going up in value as Japanese consumers (very fussy consumers, I might add) realise the reliability, gas savings and environmental beneifits of the car. There has been little advertising here as well so even though the cars have been sold here since 1997, not many people know about them.

I saw one 1997 Prius sell last week for almost $5,000 US and it had 245,000 kms on it - normally Japanese will not buy used cars with more than 100,000 kms so this speaks volumes about the reliability of the Prius.

Since we bought ours, 3 of our neighbours have decided to upgrade their cars to Prii - one will buy used and 2 new...

Have the car looked at if you can - and then go for it!

11. jonm

jonm New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kidtwist\";p=\"70649)</div>
    A gas pump would be more identifiable.

Does somebody own a copyright/trademark on that character, or is it public domain? The first time I saw that kid I thought it was Calvin of Calvin & Hobbes.
    [/b][/quote]

Your right a gas pump would look better. You can use the Calvin character for anything. If you look at varius bumper sticker websites they sell him all over the place. Simply just buying his peeing stance and then adding a graphic of your choice is something a lot of those sites are doing.

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

lvgal04
    we bought a use 2k1 Prius and never had a bit of trouble other than the small 12volt battery which was replaced under warranty. There is a 5 year warranty on the electric steering rack and there are a few other small TSB's on the Classic. If there is a Toyota dealer there have the Prius tech do an inspection for you and a search of the TSB's If all checks ok don't hesitate about the purchase. The Classic is as reliable a Toyota as Toyota makes.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonm\";p=\"70644)</div>
    John:

Deal! Though as a personal and strictly enforced rule, anybody who applies a bumper sticker to my Prius will get their hands chopped off.

14. jonm

jonm New Member

Haha...ok.

Here is what I was thinking about the sticker. =)

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John:

HAHA!

When I was about that age, I tried that once on an electric fence. I learned a very valuable - and lifelong - lesson that day.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Ok, where can I get the sticker? I will put it right next to the "Hybrid" decal that I am going to apply to the lower part of my rear window.

Oh, and Courtney, I agree that taking the car to a Prius trained Toyota tech to make sure that all checks out would be very wise indeed.

Sounds to me like you will be getting a very good car that should actually save you money and aggrevation over buying any other used auto.

Remember, that the '01 as the first North American generation of this ground breaking auto is in a perfect position to be the next '66 Mustang. Or a classic late 50's bug. You may be buying yourself a collectible as well as a car.

You might also check with your insurance company to find out if you will get any discount for driving the Prius vs another similar sized vehicle. Depending on what supplemental airbags it has and whether it has the theft deterrent engine (I don't know much about the classics, I have an '05) you could also be in line to save yourself there.

Oh, and if you are going to have to finance any part of the purchase, you might check with your credit union (if you have one) or join one if you don't to take advantage of any "clean air car loan" that they might offer.

You don't say where you live, but I can tell you that the Buena Vista Credit Union (which services California Disney employees) and can be joined by anyone offers a discounted car loan for any clean car purchase, new or used (clean being defined as a zero, or partial zero emmission's vehicle like the Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid or Honda Insight).

Every little bit helps, right?

Good luck & take care,

Tisza

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tisza:

Now there is a good idea. A Credit Union offering a break for anybody who buys a "clean" car. There should be more incentives to purchase like that. I doubt the big banks would ever do that.

I like Credit Unions. They appear to invest more back into the local community.

20. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonm\";p=\"70708)</div>
    Actually, Bill Watterson has never licensed his characters. Universal Press Syndicate did for a time, but their right to do so ended years ago. Any use of them now, despite many images you may see, is illegal.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=720

Yes, I grew up with Calvin, and I think the concept of him caring one way or the other about truck brands or NASCAR drivers is absurd. I find the stickers mildly tasteless for their subject matter, but much more tasteless for their wholesale appropriation of a popular character to make utterly irrelevant statements.