1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama AVID Ascent LRR tire now available for Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Mar 6, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yokohama AVID Ascend LRR tire now available for Prius v

UPDATE

Introducing the Yokohama AVID Ascend

An all-season grand touring tire optimized for Long Tread Life, All-Season Performance and Fuel Efficiency. It utilizes Yokohama's Orange Oil technology and earns their BluEarth designation for ecological friendly tires. It appears the Yokohama has created the BluEarth designation for tires in their lineup that exhibit LRR characterstics much like the Green X designation used by Michelin. The Avid Ascend is available in most Prius-oriented sizes except 215/45/17.

Quick Facts:
    85,000 mile warranty for T rated sizes (treadwear of 800)
    75,000 mile warranty for H rated sizes
    65,000 mile warranty for V rated sizes

Rolls 11% better than Michelin Hydroedge

Click to view the Yokohama website: AVID ASCEND Tire Details

Click to view the Avid Acsend PDF.
    http://yokohama-media.unitedfuture.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1330020056-AVID-Ascend-Bulletin-final.pdf

For LRR tire information see my current list thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...esistance-replacement-tires-current-list.html

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I look forward to reading reviews on this tire. W

3. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Today, I ordered the Yokohama Avid Ascend T rated,from TireRack.com as the H&V rated would have cost much more for shipping - different warehouse. (I don't take my Prius 2010 IV to 118MPH, so I was not worried about the H&V -vs- the T rated Tires.)

They should arrive to my installer this week. Time permitting and getting off work in time, I should have these installed.

I'm at 35K Miles, and it is already time to replace the OEM Tires. These Yokohamas should last more than double that -- warranty wise. I can only hope they are quieter than the stock tires.

These only became available March 1st, and no one locally (in the SF Bay Area) carries them. Lets hope being an early adopter proves to be a good choice this time around.

1 person likes this.
  4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for being our guinea pig! I'm looking forward to a full review if you have the time and remember after they break in. :D Just remember they take a few thousand miles, IMO, to fully break in and deliver.

Here is the format we use.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/95554-michelin-primacy-mxm4-review.html

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ordered a set today as well, but for a non-Prius. Bought the T-Rated version in the 175/65/15 size, $87.50/shipped per tire. From what I can tell, it appears to be a longer wearing and LRR version of the Avid TRZ-- but for 30% more money.

6. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll do what I can. I've done product reviews before in a previous computer journal life, but I'm no tire expert....so I do not have a lot of experience there to pull from.

7. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Funny on tirerack.com that the T and the H&V were the same price, just that the H&V weren't available at my closer warehouse. I'll take the extra 5000 mile tread life on the T's, as if I would ever take my Prius to the T rated speed (118MPH) in the first place! :car:

8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The H-rated version is a safer tire due to additional reinforcement. Too bad they were not cost effective for you.

MB860 ?

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One can always try and run higher pressure to compensate for the lower load rating and thereby reduce sidewall flex. The drawback is harsher ride. Thankfully the Ascend sports a max pressure rating of 51psi compared to 44psi most tires in this size range sport.

You are correct that the high load rating of the H or V would be better from a handling perspective and possibly for gas mileage if pressures are kept the same between them and the T. The drawback is a lower treadwear rating and increased cost. So for non-v Prii I would still opt for the T-rated tire unless one puts and emphasis on handling. On the v I would normally opt for the H or V rated tire but I think the T will do just fine. :)

10. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The issue I have with not opting for a H-rated tire if available, is the safety aspect.

The tread's speed rating is mostly dependent upon the reinforcement structure. As stated by a tire engineer:

(From: Do we really care about Speed Ratings? - Bob Is The Oil Guy)

If you look at that thread, he also mentions that tread separation incidents are extremely rare with H-rated (or higher) tires, but more common with S and T-rated tires.

Point is, I agree with CapriRacer (from that thread's) remarks that a tire should have at least a full cap ply (overlay). This is why I feel that H-rated tires at a minimum, should be used whenever possible.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree when all other factors are equal go for the H rated tire (with the corresponding higher load rating). This is especially true for heavier vehicles but may become less important for lighter vehicles and/or vehicles driven conservatively at lower speeds so that heat is not as much of an issue.

The real advantage to the H rated version of this particular tire is the higher load rating (91) AND the higher temperature rating (A) vs. the 89 load rating and B temperature rating on the T rated version. The Prius v is heavier than the Liftback model so the H makes more sense Since the OE tire sports a 91 load rating, V speed rating and A temp rating.

If the H tire was available I would have ordered it but given the number of Prii on the road with 89T rated tires (OE and aftermarket) I am not real worried. There is a point where one is being overly cautious. Kinda like changing your transaxle fluid every 20k. This another reason to stick with bigger companies known for high quality tires.

12. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Safety should be anyone's #1 priority.

MB860 ?

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Safety is overrated. If it were a big deal Toyota would have used a higher load and speed rating as OE equipment.

14. RainJ

RainJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These seem to be the best bang for the buck. I've put 35,000 miles on my 2011 in the first 11 months of ownership and the dealership said all 4 tires are toast. The dealership covered the service on it for the first 30k miles and they've never mentioned one word about the tire wear. I now loose pressure in two tires and have to air them up every few days. Headed by another tire shop today in an attempt to have them repaired until I can get a set of the Yokahamas ordered. TireRack seems to be the lowest price.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the Prius v I would highly suggest getting the H model when it is available. I'm sure you'll be fine with the T model but for no added cost you can have the higher load index and speed rating which important for your heavier car. :)

16. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had my Yokohama AVID Ascend tires installed on Saturday Morning. I've put on 60 miles on them, and I must say, at first impression I can see 2 very different results. (The OEMs were the Yokohama AVID 422's).

The road noise is dramatically lower. It is specially apparent on the freshly resurfaced highways around the Bay Area, and even makes the horrible rumble-strips on the Bay Bridge quieter and less jarring.

The other new effect is how far these things roll when I let off the gas. It was a bit startling at first, but I quickly adjusted.

I can only assume this will get better once the tires are broken in. My average MPG (according to the computer) has gone up 3 MPG. (I did the NAV recalibration as soon as I had the tires put on).

I can't give much opinion on handling yet, as I don't drive very crazy; and just missed the storms of last week, so no wet traction observations.

1 person likes this.
  17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely give us an update after they break in and you get more mpg data collected. Unfortunately 60 miles really doesnt say much about the mpg difference. :(

I have about 250miles on my new Ascends and I agree about the quiet ride although they are a bit louder than my Michelin Primacy MXM4 17" tires on my old GenII. I'll write up a review for the Ascends once I hit 1,000 miles or so and this rainy weather ends. Since you are running the 16" tires I am looking forward to your long term impressions. :)

18. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any update on the mileage?

19. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, love that they are quieter, but so far, I'm getting (according to the trip computer) about 43.3MPG average. So not really better than before.

20. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For the fuel economy to even match the OE tires, says a lot.