1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama Avid H4s Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by suemarnold, Nov 21, 2006.

1. suemarnold

suemarnold New Member

My husband I are thinking about replacing the OEM tires on our 2004 Prius with Yokohama Avid H4s tires (rated well in 11/06 Consumer Reports except for snow/ice, which we don't have) as we just put them on our Previa Van and have had good results with Yokohama tires previously. Anyone have any experience with them on a Prius?

Thanks, Sue in Northern Coastal California (lots of rain)

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(suemarnold @ Nov 21 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]352803[/snapback]</div>
    Been running 195/60-r15s for 30K miles now (about a year). The newly rotated rears are getting close to the wear bars.

No complaints in dry/wet, less road grinding sound than Integrities; instead lower Hz rumbling sounds probably related to tire higher pressures and harder suspension.

Definitely better in all stats than Integrities.

3. moneytrain8

moneytrain8 New Member

I am about to purchase four H4S tires. Local tire joint has "Buy 3, Get One Free," so they will be $320 "on the rim and out the door." Good price (I think) for these tires. My wife has Yokohamas on her Cabrio, and they have worked nicely thus far. And I think a number of people here have had good things to say about them.

Best part is that my dealer (Jones Junction) told me at my oil change last week that I needed new tires (32k, 14 months owned). He tells me they are having a "great" deal on tires - buy 3, get one free (sound familiar?) anyway, the best priced tire? Their Goodyear Integrities... $343 installed. I ask him "why is it so much?" He tells me that they charge ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS for installation etc. So for $20 less, I get a far superior tire (in my opinion).

And he then tells me that he asked his mechanic about Integrities, and he said that they used to have problems, but now they are fine. I tell him that I've heard many a person (here!) complain about how terrible they are. He looked surprised. Too bad!

4. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moneytrain8 @ Nov 22 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]352873[/snapback]</div>
    I did a lot of research before replacing the Integrities (see "Tire Upgrade"). The Yokohama H4S's were one of the top 4 tires I was considering. They looked like great tires. I didn't get them because I was concerned about snow and ice performance here in New England. If that's not a concern for you, I think they'd be great.

I suggest you go with the 195/60R15, instead of the US OEM size 185/65R15. You could also use a 195/65 or 205/60. The wider tire will give you better safety, handling and looks, with little to no mileage reduction.

5. moneytrain8

moneytrain8 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Nov 22 2006, 01:33 AM) [snapback]352917[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll call them today and have them order the 195s instead. Like I said, my wife has them, and they have been great thus far on her Cabrio... As for the Cabrio itself.... ugh. I was thinking of getting her into a Highlander Hybrid, but why pay a $9k premium when it only gets about 7 more mpg?

6. moneytrain8

moneytrain8 New Member

In case anyone cares, here's my experience this far with the Yokohamas.

I bought these just before Thanksgiving, and since the day I bought them, my MPG has CRASHED. Now, mind you, I'm not some hyper-mileage driver like some people who roam these forums. That being said, I make a conscious effort to drive in gas-saving fashion, taking mileage friendly routes, and maximizing it the best I can. Like someone said here when I first researched buying my Prius in 2005, I turn it into a video game of sorts, seeing how well I can get the MPG for each tank.

Anyway, I was getting a solid 46-50 MPG before the switch to these tires, and since then, even in the milder winter we've had thus far, I've never gotten a tank much above 45, and had my first tank below 40 mpg this past week. Needless to say, I have been very disappointed in the whole thing.

I know that winter is partly to blame, and who knows what other circumstances might be at play that I haven't considered, but I think the fact that it dropped as soon as I got the tires rests some blame on them.

I've put about 5k miles on them since purchase, and just had them rotated for the first time. If I remember correctly, the front treads were at 8.5mm and the rear treads at 10mm. So they are certainly "broken in."

Thanks.

7. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moneytrain8 @ Feb 6 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]386180[/snapback]</div>
    Winter gas has lower energy content than summer gas (for air pollution reasons). This would lower your mileage by 1-5 mph. Also, having the air pressure at 42/40 will help mileage. If you got 195s, that might lower mileage by 1-2 mph. A reasonable trade off for better safety, handling and looks I think. I've got 10K miles on 195/60 TTs with no mileage loss.

8. moneytrain8

moneytrain8 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Feb 10 2007, 12:39 AM) [snapback]387905[/snapback]</div>
    With last winter's gas mix Integrities, I was getting 45-47 MPG. Since the new tires, I am struggling to stay above 41 MPG this winter. I got the 195s, as recommended. I just hope that the warmer weather will bring the mileage back up. This 41 MPG thing is getting old really quick, especially when I see other people still breaking 50 MPG in the dead of winter. I may have to try that pipe insulation in the grill trick I've been seeing on PriusChat.

Thanks for your input.