1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama Avid T4 , Michelin HydroEdge, or Comfortred?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sdgeiger, Dec 13, 2006.

1. sdgeiger

sdgeiger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My original tires have failed state inspection, so I need new ones. The dealer is trying to sell me Yokohama Avid T4's ($90/each), but I know nothing about them.

I've been looking at the Michelin HydoEdge, but the dealer says they are about $135/each.

Does anyone have any options about the Yokohama and where to get a better price on the HydroEdge than $135?

Has anyone used the Goodyear ComforTred? They have an 80000 mile warranty.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sdgeiger @ Dec 13 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]361483[/snapback]</div>
    I was doing a fair bit of research between the ComforTred and the TripleTred when I replaced the stock OEM tires this fall. From all of the reviews I read and research I did, both tires had excellent reviews, but the ComforTred had more responses from people saying they found it noisy at high speeds.

In the end, I went with the TripleTreds, and have been very happy with them. About 3 weeks after purchase, we got a lot of rain, followed by heavy dump of snow and the TTs gave me good traction in all of those conditions.

I also decided to "upsize" to a 195 from the 185. Pretty minor change, however it does give a slightly wider profile and a bit more traction (at the expense of a few MPG).

Dave

3. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sdgeiger @ Dec 13 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]361483[/snapback]</div>
    I've read somewhere that you have to be careful with high-mileage warranties because the tread tends to be extremely stiff.

I realize this is somewhat off-topic, however, I bought a set of Nokian WR's the week after I bought my Prius, and I love them. I've not noticed any problems with MPG. In the summer, I was averaging about 52 MPG. The Nokian WR's have my recommendation as a superb all-weather tire. I paid about $95/each for them, and I consider it a very worthwhile investment.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Dec 13 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]361557[/snapback]</div>
    I must agree with the suggestion to look at the Nokian WRs (if you can find them). They are great all-weather tires and have a low rolling resistance, which is not true for the tires asked about (except perhaps for the Yokohamas). The other interesting option is to get the Michelin MXV4+ Energy Saving tires (I have them and they are performing nicely), which actually improve MPG over the OEMs, but are not as good in snow as the Nokian WRs (only true snow tires can match them in snow).

JeffD

5. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Goodyear CT work great for me...much quieter than OEM tires at all speeds, in my opinion.