1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama vs Michelins?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by justslappy, Nov 8, 2011.

1. justslappy

justslappy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Need new tires. Decision down to the Michelin Energy Saver (about $730 after rebate) versus the Yokohama Avid Touring ($450). User comments about the Michelins sound great, but hard to justify the price, and leaning towards the Yokohamas.

Appreciate your thoughts.

2. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Too bad one can't easily test drive a set. You'll prob discover that $300 extra dollars is toally worth it for the driving experience you'll get from the Michelins.

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $730 for a set of the Michelin's sounds really high. I got mine from TireRack 7 months ago for about $115/tire, which is about 40% lower than what you were quoted. In fact, the Michelin Energy Saver in the 195/65/15 size is listed at $96/tire on TireRack now. I didn't "add to cart" to check the availability, but I think you're getting a rip-off price at what you were quoted. So you might have another $10/tire for shipping, but still, you're quoted close to $180/tire. You also get the $70 prepaid rebate card through TireRack.

Just to give you another option, of course. There's several other LRR tire options for the Prius, with tires on their site around the $80-90/tire range.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As my friend, wick1ert, stated. Something isn't right with the price they quoted you on the Michelin tires.
    That is slightly more than I paid for my 17" Michelin LRR tires. A set of high quality 15" tires should not top $550 installed.

I agree with checking the prices on tirerack for a comparison. I would drop the Avid Touring for a better LRR rated tire.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Before rebate you are saying the Energy Savers are $200 per tire? Even if these are installed that is mighty high. I just had Michelin Primacy MXV4 installed at Sam's for about $535 including installation and road hazard warranty. They were about $125 per tire before rebate.

The Energy Savers were not available at the time but what I remember the price was pretty much in line with the MXV4's.

I came from the Yokohama Avid S33D OEM tires and there is day and night difference between the Michelin's and the Yokohama's. Well worth the difference in cost to me.

6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Avids will handle better but have worse MPG. Micheline A/S are not bad, and after getting them our MPG stayed ~58-62.

730 for set is too much, they are 96$ at tirerack. Set is $384 + shipping ($52) - rebate ($70) = 366$. They have local installers and you can have tires shipped to installer. Installation is usually less then 20$ per tire good luck.

Michelin Energy Saver A/S

Another one to look at is Bridgestone EP422
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

7. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I have had good luck with Tire Rack and my dealer installed the Michelins for a nominal amount, I am sure it was less than $20 per tire.

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tirerack price + $15/shipping + tax + $25 for install and disposal = a reasonable tire price.

Your price quote is way too high. Also, Michelin is running $70 off at certain retailers right now.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Original post removed. Primacy tires in the 195/65-15 size are apparently not LRR tires. Primacy in the 215/45-17 size are.

10. justslappy

justslappy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tom, why Primacy over Energy Saver? Did u consider ES? thanks

11. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is a great way to simplify determining if a price quote is reasonable. You might need to up the install and disposal to $30 now, as some tire shops will install a new TPMS kit (about $3-5/tire) each time.

I've noticed here, that a lot of shops increased the lifetime mount/balance price by about $5/tire and usually price quote the non-lifetime one. This may not be true everywhere, though, as a lot of people got used to the lifetime being a standard thing.

It's also a lot cheaper if you go to, and trust, your local walmart to do the mount, balance, etc. part. I think the one here said it was $5/tire, but wasn't a lifetime. It might be worth the gamble in price if you trust them (I've used Wally in the past on other cars and didn't have any issues).

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good question, the Primacy tires I have are LRR and have the "X Energy" label on the sidewall. But I see what you mean, the Primacy in the 195/65-15 size is not listed as an LRR tire. I will retract my recommendation and suggest you try the MXV4 S8 or the Energy Saver A/S instead:

Tire Search Results

13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Primacy in 195/65-15 are in fact, Green-X complaint. I presume this means that it has low rolling resistance technology.

I say this based on the e-mail I received from Michelin today.

14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it is hard to compare but some Green-X are not that much LRR, they had done worse in tests then non-LRR tires. For example HydroEdge with Green X had done worse then Goodyear Integrity:
    When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

here is some more info on LRR tires:
    Fuel Efficient Low Rolling Resistant Tires

15. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Back to the original topic. My daughter has suffered her third puncture with the Yokohamas on her SV21 Camry in 4 months. I drove the same camry on the same country roads for years with michies and never had a puncture. I acnowledge that any tire can puncture But in 45 of years of driving I cannot remember ever having a puncture with Michelins.