1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohoma Avid: Touring, H4S, TRZ

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by silentak1, Oct 31, 2006.

1. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm set on getting Yokohoma tires. I've been a big fan of Nitto and Yokohoma tires for many years now. I'm not interested in the Michelin or Good Year tires eventhough PC embraces them. Nothing wrong with them, except that they cost quite a bit more.

I need your opinions on the tires and your mpg BEFORE and AFTER (500+ miles).

Yokohoma Avid Touring 195/60SR15
    $285.44 installed (set of 4)

Yokohoma Avid H4S 195/60HR15
    $301.44 installed

Yokohoma Avid TRZ 195/60TR15
    $307.62 installed

From thread looks it seems that the Avid Touring would achieve better mpg compared to the rest (which have more aggressive thread design).
    One of the reviews about the H4S by a 2nd generation Prius owner suggests that he/she experienced a 3mpg hit.
    I'm most interested in MPG effect and noise levels. Not so high priority is wet/ice traction and thread wear.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 31 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]341656[/snapback]</div>
    I have no more comments on the minimal MPG hit.

For noise if anything, it's deeper into the low Hz range from the Integrities. Deep enough it can be masked out with some low db earplugs. It's a low rumble, depending on road surface, and "seems" to be the same 15K+ miles later.

With the Sportivo now, I'm feeling like I want to get some sound insulation into the doors, or at least replace the speakers because my friend's Fit still has an easier to hear stereo system (when trying to hear AM at volume 30).

To be fair, my next set of tires might be Dunlops Sport A2 Plus, or the 5000, just so I can do some fair comparison besides against the horrible Integrities.

I recently realized all the accidents and squealing I experienced in my previous vehicle were mostly due to the horrible OEM Firestone FR680s that even make me glad that I was using GY Integrities recently.

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for your comments.

The integrities don't have a terrible noise level factor so i'm taking your comments that the H4S are slightly less noise in the beginning stages.

Could you the effects of the H4S in terms of handling?

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bump! I'm about to buy something this evening and last minute inputs would be great.

Final choices: H4S or TRZ

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 1 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]342067[/snapback]</div>
    Thought you didn't care about handling info? :)

Anyways, handling is great and I've pulled 0.8G+ turns on these tires and they barely chirp, in dry. You have to push the Prius really hard on a sustained turn to get TRAC to kick in. No complaints in wet, actually still very difficult to loose traction in wet, and about what I expected compared to the Dunlop Sport A2 experience. This is pre-and-post Sportivo.

I've done a 30 min run, both ways, on Angel's Crest Highway, and was pulling 0.5Gs turns without issues, for my first time runs.

Not much sidewall flex, and I run at 40/38 psi. The TRZs are probably more quiet because they're passenger tires like the Comfortreds with more forgiving ratings on Tirerack.

H4S is directional, so YMMV. Still plenty of thread left after almost 15K+ miles...

You still get a chance to return if you are unsatisfied, right?

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reply! I noticed that the h4s was directional but that isn't a huge concern. i almost bought the h4s due to your comments, but america's tire co. gave me a michelin deal too good to pass. Remember that i mentioned above that i didn't want michelins due to price, but a set of 4 michelins pilot asalto a/s costed me $353 with tax (after rebate). Very happy with the purchase!

7. LoveThatPrius

LoveThatPrius New Member

From personal experience I would stay away from the Tourings. I had them on a 1987 Corolla and 1995 Windstar. They were nice riding, HOWEVER they were horrible as far as wearability. They were rated at 80,000 mile tires. I got 27,900 miles out of them for the Corolla. The Windstar front ones lasted 26,100. Due to the experience with the other 6 tires I stopped rotating the Windstar's tires and the back ones lasted for 43,866 miles.
    Check tire rack for more experiences. It isn't pretty, lots of complaints about the tourings.
    I replaced the corolla's tires with some no names while I fought with Yokohoma for a refund on the unused portion of the tires. It wasn't fun. I went through 2 levels of management but got an acceptable settlement. Basically they bought me one set of tires.
    The VP I worked with was great! He knew what staying behind the product was all about and keeping the customer happy! The 1st level manager was rude and completely useless until her boss directed her to write a check for goodwill. Basically I let them know I usually buy used cars (The Prius was my first new car purchase in 35 years of buying cars) and I will be buying a lot of tires in the future. Also I made sure they knew all my friends, acquantances and any strangers with tire questions would know the story if they didn't do anything about the unused portion of the tire warranty.
    Interesting my brother had bought Tourings for his Acura or Lexus and had bad luck with them also.
    Since Yokohoma stood by their product, I followed through and bought new TRZs for the Windstar. They have been great tires! I would have to check how many miles are on them but they seem to be wearing a lot better and wearing evenly unlike the Touring and this is without an alignment! The TRZs are also a lot better at cornering. The tourings on both cars would have a lot of roll, making me feel like the control of the car was in jeopardy. Good luck with your decision. Greg