1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yosemite Trip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BellaHMB, Aug 2, 2007.

1. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

Hi All!

We are loving our new Seaside Pearl, package 6 "Gem"! So much so that my 325ci BMW is NOT taking the trip to Yosemite with us! But I have been thinking, are there are any tips about mountain driving that we might need to know? My husband has been reading up on the B gear for downhill braking, but besides that?

Any help is appreciated!

Victoria

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Check spare tire inflation before you go. Take lots of pictures. Many great hikes if you are so inclined. You can use B gear coming down from Glacier Point.

Perseid meteors overnight 12-13 August.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Are double posts deletable?

4. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Aug 1 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]489081[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Victoria,

As I mentioned in a different thread, we took our 2007 Touring up to Tuolumne Meadows -- above Yosemite Valley at around 8700 feet, and had only a few moments of trouble. We lost power for about 3 minutes when the temperatures were at the highest, we were climbing, and we had the AC on to recirculating instead of fresh air. We are surmising that you would want to use Fresh Air under those circumstances, but aren't sure exactly why. Switching to it, immediately restored the power. We only got around 43 to 45 MPG with the car fully loaded and three people in it, but that's okay. Our normal summer MPG is 52 plus. We used B when going down step hills.

Enjoy!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Aug 1 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]489081[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Victoria,

As I mentioned in a different thread, we took our 2007 Touring up to Tuolumne Meadows -- above Yosemite Valley at around 8700 feet, and had only a few moments of trouble. We lost power for about 3 minutes when the temperatures were at the highest, we were climbing, and we had the AC on to recirculating instead of fresh air. We are surmising that you would want to use Fresh Air under those circumstances, but aren't sure exactly why. Switching to it, immediately restored the power. We only got around 43 to 45 MPG with the car fully loaded and three people in it, but that's okay. Our normal summer MPG is 52 plus. We used B when going down step hills.

Enjoy!

5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Aug 2 2007, 04:10 AM) [snapback]489122[/snapback]</div>
    You may want to bring your tire guage, and an inflator if you have one. As you gain altitude, the tire pressure increases. If you are running high pressures to begin with, you could exceed the rating for the tire. So you may have to bleed some air off halfway up the mountain , and then re-inflate at the bottom. After several climbs this gets to be a real PITA, so most settle for lower pressures and take the gas milage hit.

6. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 2 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]489184[/snapback]</div>
    What is the recommended tire pressure range?

Thankyou,
    Victoria

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Aug 2 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]489267[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on your tires. "Factory spec" is 35 front 33 rear. I set my TripleTreds at 42 front 40 rear. The OEM tires are a bit lacking in traction so I set my wife's at 38 front, 36 rear since I don't think it wise to 'round" them too much. Both have a MAX COLD pressure of 44 psi.

Remember that those are cold tire pressures, i.e. the car hasn't been driven for about 2 hours. You can't drive for a while, then stop and check the pressures and make any assessment as to equivalent "cold tire" pressure. If you drove for 2 hours, then let air out until the tires read 35 front, 33 rear, you would find they were a LOT lower when you checked them the next morning. While it is possible Doc Willie has a valid point about the air expanding at higher elevations, I really don't know how you could reset them unless you stop for a really long lunch. If it makes you feel any better, MANY years ago, I drove from L.A. to 10,000 ft near Mono Lake and had no problems with my tires. Maybe it isn't a very serious problem?

Additionally, when I bought my car (200 miles from home, about half interstate at 65 MPH) the dealer apparently hadn't thought to check the tires. I checked them the next day and one was reading 49 PSI cold. Given I didn't blow it, I think there is a pretty large safety margin.

8. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Aug 2 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]489335[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks so much! Very helpful!!

Victoria

9. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 2 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]489184[/snapback]</div>
    Is this true? Where does the extra pressure come from? This sounds backwards, I always thought that air pressure dropped at higher altitudes.

10. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Victoria,

I'm jealous. We returned from our 7,500 mile trip three weeks ago, including Yosemite. It was wonderful and I want to go back!

Since we were fully loaded, I had our tires at 45/45. At highest elevations they reached 50 psi. I'm thinking the tire manufacturers must include the possibility of altitude changes when setting their maximum recommendations.

We rarely used B gear, it sends the engine racing, especially when the battery is fully charged. Our driving was such that minimum brake use sufficed. Since we were camping up at Bridal Veil Falls Campground (beautiful and not full) we made the trip down to the valley (from Glacier Point) four or five times. No problem, and we even averaged 50 mpg those days.

If you are interested in reading more on our trip see either--

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=11065&start=0 (forum, comments welcome!)
    http://www.priusownersgroup.com/?page_id=2840 (refined report with a few pics, including fromGlacier Point)

Have a wonderful trip and let us know how it went!

PA P

11. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

We are staying at Crane Flat Campground which is near the entrance and I think at 5000 or so feet elevation.
    I am SO excited! And all of your helpful comments calm my nerves about driving a new car with only 500 miles on it for a camping vacation!

Victoria

12. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Aug 2 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]489362[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm... My only suggestion is not to drive Old Preacher Grade - It's a bit hardcore for most vehicles, anyway. The Prius is the perfect camping vehicle. We were able to pack 2 adults, a dog, and all of our crap for 2 weeks with no problem.

Prius and dog at 8600 feet:
    [attachmentid=10322]

Suggestions:

Spend time in the high country - It's less crowded than the valley floor.
    Make sure you go on the night sky walk out of Toulumne Meadows campground. The stars from that altitude are unbelievable.
    If you hike the Vernal/Nevada falls trail to the top, or farther to Half Dome, start early in the day. Otherwise, you will be hiking back in the dark. Same applies to hiking from Toulumne Meadows to Glen Aulin.
    Don't overlook the nearby Inyo National forest. In some ways, it is every bit as spectacular as Yosemite.
    Don't think that 1 short trip is enough. See what you can, at a comfortable pace, and plan to go back several times. My family has been going to the park for 40 years, once a year or so, and I still find new and spectacular aspects about the park.

Here's another teaser:
    [attachmentid=10324]

Attached Files:

13. thfrancis

thfrancis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We are doing a similiar trip to Yosemite at the end of this month. We will drive the Prius to Toulomne Meadows, then hike down to the Valley floor over three days. Our route will take us to Vogelsang and Merced Lake. From the Valley you can catch a bus back to Tuolomne.

Have fun on your trip.

14. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

Isnt Old Preachers Grade the one that is straight up
    the mtn while the new one zig zags? That's the one
    we would take..

Victoria

15. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Aug 2 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]489690[/snapback]</div>
    Hummm,
    Camping.....Several people have drained thier 12 volt auxilary battery while camping due to listening to the radio(turning back on after one hour) and leaving doors open and hatches open and forgetting to turn off all of the cabin lights that they manually turned on previously. I highly recommend you purchase one of the inexpensive jump start devices that you can plug in to charge in a 110 Volt outlet to charge or the moderate one that has a 12 volt DC outlet to charge cell phones and anything else you may need the 12 volt power for. The 12 Volt aux battery in a prius are no where near as powerful as a standard car battery. Hope all goes well.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 2 2007, 05:22 AM) [snapback]489184[/snapback]</div>
    Please do not deflate tires based on pressure measurements taken while the tires are hot.

The sidewall max pressure (for example 44 psi) is a 'tire cold' specification.

17. thfrancis

thfrancis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Aug 2 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]489725[/snapback]</div>
    That can be an issue if you are car camping. Most of these posts are about backpacking and camping in the wilderness quite a ways from the car.

18. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Aug 2 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]489690[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: It is called "Old Priest's Grade"! Highway 120 from moccasin on the way to "Big Oak Flat" and eventually Yosemite. I have been up it several times and prefer its steepness to the zig zagy route designed for tour busses and road slug RV's. The grade is very steep but not a problem up or down for our mighty Prii! Even Tioga Pass was a piece of cake! Priest's grade is not very long and saves about 15 minutes off the trip. Drive it with respect for the speed limits and on the way down use the "B" gear.

Lee B)

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Aug 2 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]489690[/snapback]</div>
    I have taken our Prius both up and down Old Priest Grade several times in both the winter and summer.
    THE PRIUS HANDLES OLD PRIEST GRADE JUST FINE!!!
    But, of course, it depends if the driver and passengers can handle Old Priest Grade! :eek: :huh: :unsure: :wacko: :unsure: :blink:

I love driving Old Priest Grade. It's an average 11% grade from bottom to top (and visa versa :eek: ) 910 feet AMSL elevation to about 2,450 feet in 2.7 miles, but it is 3.3 miles shorter than New Priest Grade.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moccasin,_California
    I feel New Priest Grade is more dangerous since it has more curves, higher speeds, and more cars. The only time I take New Priest Grade is if the temperatures are near freezing or snowing. No way would I take OPG under those conditions. :eek:

Suggestion for a hike in Yosemite:
    It is a very easy hike, but one of my favorite!
    Taft Point.
    The trailhead is off of Glacier Point road. You will see a small parking lot to the left about 13 miles after you turn onto Glacier Point road.
    http://www.thecaliforniahikingpage.com/yos...ures-index.html
    http://www.yosemitehikes.com/glacier-point.../taft-point.htm

When done returning from Taft Point, if you are feeing up to it, continue on to Sentinel Dome.
    http://www.yosemitefun.com/yosemite_short_hikes.htm

Another of my fun things to do in Yosemite during late summer/fall is to swim under Lower Yosemite Fall. If the falls aren't running very strong, (and there are no thunderstorms in the area to create flash flood conditions), there is a large, deep pool at the base of the fall. Cross over the bridge and follow the wall and cliff up the far right side to the pool. It is very beautiful. I actually did some SCUBA diving there! Yes, it's cold . . . but if it is hot in the valley, nothing is more refreshing!

During late summer/fall, even little kids do the minor climb/rock scrambling . . . it's relatively safe.

BUT . . . During the spring runoff, bring a very good rain suit, gloves, good hiking boots and climb up the far left side. (Yes, it can be quite treacherous and slippery, but I've done it about ten time in the spring and never saw anyone get hurt.) You will experience cold hurricane force winds, but once you reach a certain point, it becomes very calm (except for the almost deafening roar of the falls!). At that point it becomes warm and dry as the air is being sucked down the side of the mountain and toward the falls. You can actually sunbathe there on clear days. It's fun to sit and experience the overwhelming power of the falls and watch it going away from you and out toward the valley.