1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You buying flowers for Mother's Day?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, May 8, 2012.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where Do U.S. Flowers Come From?

This obviously is a loser from a carbon footprint point of view. With food that's shipped, at least you consume it. Flowers, you watch for 5-7 days and then chuck it. Most people don't even compost it. Yet in people's minds and the media, it gets a total free pass on how crappy this is for the environment. Happy Mother's Day!

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got her an orchid plant with flower. It'll live more than 5-7 days, hopefully.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We bought Hallmark greeting Card software, back in the day of windoz98. Still works on XP. Throw in a sheet of glossy/recycled paper and we're good to go. My better half read me the riot act when we paid (something like) $49 for it. After 14 years and over 500 cards ... well ... you do the math.
    ;)

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Buying local flowers (Yunnan Province is China's 'flower basket'). And, um, gold.

Gold kills gold miners in a variety of ways. It's actually rather grim. But I am in denial about that. Diamonds might actually be worse, but it is hard to quantify.

Few things can we do (as dominators of the planet) are actually squeaky clean. But there it is, and everybody just needs to work out their own path. And ideally, not be too hard on your neighbor for their path chosen.

OK if your neighbor is the Unabomber you can be a hard on him. I permission you.