1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You can drive it just like any other car!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by marjam, Jul 31, 2006.

1. marjam

marjam Member

Now that I have been on PriusChat for over a month I want to take a moment to rave about this web site. I have had more fun reading it and have learned so much about the car that I own. And I thought I knew all about the Prius. It is a wonderful site with really great people.

I can see, though, how some new owners and those considering a Prius can become nervous about owning the car. I have owned two Prii, one of the first 10 '01s to come to the Washington area and I now have an '04. And guess what! You can drive a Prius just like a normal car. I never worry about the SOC of the battery; the car takes care of that. I never worry about how much gas I can get into the tank. I never run out of gas. I run the air system on AC/AUTO and just adjust the temperature and let the car worry about how to make me comfortable. And I still get better mileage than almost anything else on the road!

I applaud those who use special driving techniques to improve MPG and I have used some of them when safe to do so. I also applaud those who try to stretch the technology of the Prius to its limit. I mourn with those who worry when their gas mileage drops from 51.3 to 49.8 and know it is important to them. But you can drive just like you drove your 2001 Taurus.

I have never had a breakdown, have only been to the shop for TSBs, maintenance and recalls (one of which got me new tires on the '01 at 20,000 miles when I really didn't need them!) and have only had roadside service once when I did something stupid that caused the 12V battery to discharge.

We all relate to our autos in unique ways and that it what I love about PriusChat. My only fear is that when the Gen III comes out (and I know I will want one!) I won't be able to afford it.

Drive safe, drive happy and revel in all the marvels of the Prius.

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree! I've had my 2006 a little over 3 months.

For the most part I don't do anything special in driving. I DO keep my MFD display on the CONSUMPTION screen because it shows me my 'instantaneous' MPG. It's a nice visual cue for me to take my foot off the accellertor sooner than I used to when I'm approaching a stoplight or somewhere I need to turn. But I DON'T usually use the ENERGY screen that so many people talk about using in order to perfect the "pulse 'n' glide" technique - I find the screen to be too 'busy' for me to pay attention to it, and I'm quite pleased with the gas mileage I'm getting on my mostly-short-trips.

I HAVE learned some things on this web site that would help ANYONE driving ANY car get better gas mileage, like making sure the tires are inflated properly (and, basically, the coasting when approaching stops/turns - I've always tried to do that, but the CONSUMPTION screen has shown me I can start the coasting earlier than I used to as long as I won't be impeding traffic).

There are a LOT of things to learn when you get your Prius, but they're mostly quick learning things - like how to lock the car from the outside when your smart key is in your pocket, and how to set the climate controls so they match your preferences. But those are the kinds of things you need to learn with ANY new car by reading the owner's manual. (I'd always have to consult the owners manual to change the clock settings twice a year on my old car because it wasn't intuitive!)

3. B Rad

B Rad New Member

I agree too!!!! The 1st couple of tanks I was really into doing everything I could to get the highest mpg. It was great fun and more power to those who can drive that way with out causing problems. Now I just drive the car, some of the things I did at 1st have stayed with me and probably made me a better and saver driver. But some things just create problems for others on the road and are better left for the few times you may be the only one in sight, ie. if you are holding up traffic, step on the gas !!!!!!!

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All very well said. The Prius is after all, just a car. Don't let it become an obsession.

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Aug 1 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]295840[/snapback]</div>
    Problem is...it isn't the CAR that has become the obsession...it is PriusChat! :eek:

PriusChatAnonymous branches started yet? "Hi. My name is Rufaro and I am an addict..." :rolleyes:

6. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 2 2006, 02:32 AM) [snapback]296131[/snapback]</div>
    HI RUFARO!

7. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Aug 2 2006, 06:47 AM) [snapback]296225[/snapback]</div>
    <div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

8. bsoft

bsoft New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Jul 31 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]295346[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, I own a 2001 Taurus and I don't drive my Prius like it! For one, I don't have to feather the gas because the Prius has much more linear gas pedal. And I don't have to smash the brakes to stop - the Prius allows you to brake just a little bit if you want.

I personally find the Prius far too fun to get excellent mileage. I smash the gas pedel at intersections and have a blast outaccelerating Hummers. And, you know what? I still get around 46-48MPG.

We're missing the Prius while it's in the shop (crashed it into a small SUV during a left turn). The 2001 Taurus is a nice vehicle, but it's nothing like the Prius.