1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You CAN siphon from a 2nd gen fuel tank!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mattski, Nov 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. mattski

mattski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been so grateful for the work that galaxee and others have done, demystifying the fuel tank on this forum. After pulling out two fuel tanks with dead pumps, I was faced with the problem of how to get the remaining fuel out.

As galaxee and others have pointed out, there are anti-siphon devices in the line which make things dicey. However, when the fuel tank is out of the car, it's possible to ease surgical tubing into the filler tube on the tank, past whatever device is in there. In fact, in order to avoid getting a mouthful of gas, I eased a second, shorter tube in as well and then packed a rag into the remaining space to make it airtight as possible. By blowing into the short tube, it created enough pressure to force gas into the long tube, and into my waiting gas can.

As always, inhaling gas fumes is dangerous and nasty, so there's a pump you can use instead, by all means do that. But for those of us with dead fuel pumps, siphoning is possible.

Thanks again for all the wisdom on this forum. So helpful!

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.