1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You know what I just realized?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by That_Prius_Car, May 26, 2011.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Reading on and seeing in the past about the second generation Prius and all the awards it's won truly warms my heart. In example, here's a few of those awards alone;

• Motor Trend 2004 Car of the Year
    • North American 2004 Car of the Year
    • 2004 Design of the Year
    • Best Engineered Vehicle for 2004
    • International Engine of the Year 2004
    • Best New Engine 2004
    • Best Fuel Economy Engine 2004
    • Best Engine 1.4-liter to 1.8-liter 2004
    • Car & Driver One of the Ten Best in 2004
    • Fortune Magazine 25 Best Products of the Year
    • Popular Science Best of What's New award
    • Europe's 2005 Car of the Year
    • Canada's 2005 Car of the Year
    • 2008 JD Power Owner Satisfaction award - France
    • 2008 JD Power Owner Satisfaction award - Germany
    • 2008 JD Power Owner Satisfaction award - United Kingdom
    • Green Engine of the Year 2004-2008
      ... and there's many more...

For the time, it was very ground-breaking, and continued to win awards for several more years until competition got better, but what I'm saying is, Toyota should have made this third generation Prius even more ground-breaking! Push the envelope like they did with the second generation, make the styling daring and crazy cool, design it to look amazing, with lot's of "oooo's and ahhh's" yet keeping it at a practical price like the second generation.

When you think more into it, it's the truth. In 2003, when Toyota introduced the 2004 Prius, the dramatic styling, advanced HSD technology, very futuristic, and all for a base price of $19,995. With the third generation, changes were made, but nothing huge that make people speechless. Every generation of the Prius was a huge step forward. The first generation was something for its time, the colorful LCD display looked to be straight out of a sci-fi movie, the digital readouts, the smart packaging, then the second generation was introduced and BAM! That one was a big one! Winning all kinds of awards for years!

I just feel like now, the third generation Prius is left in the dust with all these other awesome cars on the horizon. Almost like... Okay, for example, you know how the first and second generation Prius were vehicles styled way ahead of their time? The second generation Prius could still pass for a car being sold brand-new today, in my opinion. The third generation is almost like, todays car. It's not tomorrows car like the Prius has always been... It isn't winning as many awards, it's not pushing the envelope. I need more time to this this through before I say anymore, but at least you guys get the just of what I'm talking about. It's not making car journalist say "Hm, that's very cool!!! The Prius wins this and continues to pave the way for the future of cars!" Like in the past, it's almost a "meh, it's alright." car now. ): At least to me.

Any thoughts?

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Gen 3 is my first Toyota. I understand there are no drive belts, an improved CVT transmission and no gas tank bladder. There are many threads here on the new "pluses" for the G3. I'm just hoping for Toyota reliability and love getting 50mpg in the city!

3. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know that stuff, and even though those are good improvements, their not exactly spectacular. Still good though! I'm happy for what we have.

Being a Toyota which is reliable and efficient is a plus too, just saying I was a bit disappointed. I over estimated what the third generation Prius would be like and got let down. :(

4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Stay tuned for next year's models.

Anyway, that's like saying, for example, when they cured cancer it was cool and all, but now that they have cured the common cold, it doesn't seem like such a great thing.

5. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's important for young drivers today to be passionate about efficiency and to expect more from our automakers - whether foreign or domestic. If you are really on your second Prius at your young age - kudos to you!

As far as what future Prius will bring...I can only hope Toyota makes a reliable plug-in version that can go 100 miles per charge and then if need be, revert back to the hybrid system seamlessly. And all of this for about the same price as the base model. Now that would "wow" me.

6. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you! :)
    The Prius is a very smart decision for me, I don't need a fast sports car or big SUV, the Prius is perfect. I love it.

That would be pretty good, that would make me say "wow." too! :D
    I'm happy that the new Prius is the way it is, I just expected more from a car that's supposed to be so "advanced" and keep advancing. The hybrid system is advanced, but the design could be better.

7. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think that was a very good analogy. Nice try though. :)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's because we've never seen anything like it before - 1.5 litre engine mated to a sophisticated hybrid system, powering a 2,900lb car to a respectable 10.5 secs while getting 50mpg. It came with a large 7" LCD screen, push button start, Smart Key System (then known as Smart Entry & Smart Start) and bluetooth handsfree. The last two also made it to the redesign Acura RL and updated Lexus LS430.

Lastly, it was also a sleek hatchback compared to the sedan beforehand. You got the interior room of a last generation Camry but with the footprint smaller than a Corolla. It was also unique in that the people that initially bought it formed a small group no different from MINI owners, Corvette owners and so forth. It was an "exclusive" club. You were defining the future; going ahead of the curve.

With the Gen 3, Toyota played it safe. They made the necessary updates to achieving the all-important 50mpg combined under the new EPA testing (imagine what it would've been under the old tests!) while attempting to appeal to a broader audience.

A sedan appealed to the Japanese homemarket (and I suppose it would to the US market) but not to the European market. One of the concepts drawn were a hatchback-like sedan (think 1G Mazda6 hatchback that looks very similar to the sedan version) but was dismissed because it violated the competition rules in that it must be a 3-box sedan. (Taken from The Prius That Shook The World).

2 people like this.
  9. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You hit it right on the nail, I just expected a little more with the third generation Prius is all. It's great, don't get me wrong, but you know what I mean. Make it shock people again! :)

10. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's called getting an ROI. ;-)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep but I guess Toyota wanted to broaden the appeal first. Maybe the shock would be the Prius c?

12. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope so! If I like the Prius C enough, I might have to get one, but according to Toyota, it's supposed to be the smallest one. I sure hope it's a ground-breaker though!

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't mean it can't be ground-breaking. Remember that they have the lessons that they learned from the iQ. It has a really slim and efficient A/C and a flat fuel tank for better packaging. Some of the ideas are being transferred to the new Yaris.

14. Lsegovic

Lsegovic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Prius Gen 3 is my first Toyota, I love the design and concept It could be the best car out there but Toyota decided to make it a plain car, yes under the hood seems to be a reliable car.

The small details, interior plastic quality, software/screen , rattles, buttons, leather sits, lighting department and some incongruous parts of the interior sucks.

Every time I sit down in my car I sigh !!! how I would change the car, for example; when you open the center console and hit the legs of people sitting in the back, or the front door water bottles don't fit, overheard buttons for lights & sunroof in the dark, darkness under the flying bridge, a color screen in the main console including nice windows screens (software) with multiple information with maintenance minder and having TRIP+DTE+MPG miles at the same time as my other cars!!, the AC controls to be negative LCD instead of the one black who doesn't belong to the design seems almost like a 3rd party add-on (specially for people with Navi), etc..

Definitely it's a raw diamond without final form and polishing!!

Hope the 2013 Prius comes with a bunch of changes including LED DRL, AUTO lights, Less ICE noise, softer suspension, etc.. the wish list is huge !!

15. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe its that we are all just used to them now...

Which says an awful lot.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a point...but....

I still think 3rd Generation Prius is hands down the best mass produced Hybrid available. It's closest competition is coming from Toyota itself.

As far as Toyota pushing the envelope harder? They are limited somewhat by their own success. 2nd Generation became an automotive and social Icon so Toyota can't abandon that reality. You make 3rd Generation too removed from all previous Prius and you are throwing away an established brand. VW Bugs...pretty much looked like VW Bugs for 3 decades....

I think Toyota is clearly still the leader. As far as mass produced Hybrid products, easily. I think they can show creativity and expansion by doing what they are doing, which is expanding the "Family" of products. Like it or not, The Prius v, is growth of the product, in the family sized, family transporter segment..Prius v IMO is cutting edge.

Hopefully Toyota will show creativty and expansion with products like the upcoming Prius c. I fully expect it.

Does Generation 3 Prius stand in the shadow of it's own ancestor? Perhaps. But that's just inevitable when you create a product as unique and succesful as Generation 2 Prius.

Gen 3? It's an evolution more than a revolution...and I'm okay with that.

PS.

Where I would say Toyota needs to catch up, or apply more creativity would be in the design of their dash displays. Honda's and Fords displays are much more dynamic.

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Isn't making the Prius more mainstream along with having technologies (e.g. ATP) that were previously reserved for very expensive cars not innovative enough?

Do you think that making a car that appeals to wider population easy to do?

I would argue that it is easier to make a freakish vehicle than a vehicle that a lot of people like or drawn to.

The whole point of hybrid technology is to make it available to everyone. Having a good HSD system and then cramming it into an uncomfortable spaceship-looking thingy is not really innovative in the grand scheme of things. Sure, you will have a group of folks who like it because it is "unique"...but that does not sell the technology nor the car to the masses. (Just ask Pontiac Aztec owners!)

For example, I am an average consumer. Never had a hybrid before...i have owned all sorts of vehicles in the past 10 years...SUVs, sports coupe, econobox, etc.. Forget the 1st gen Prius. That was not even on the radar. The 2nd gen Prius was OK, but there were plenty other choices that interested me much more. The seating position sucked to no end. The stereo sucked. Road noise galore. Unreliable HIDs. In other words, why would i sink so much money into an average weird package with a great HSD system? For me, HSD does not sell a car...the WHOLE package is what matters to me.

The 3rd gen Prius improvements made me come around...it was more mainstream, it was better in everyway that I care about, and it actually had features that were cool beyond the HSD.

Isn't it cool to have a below $35k car that gets 50 mpg with LEDs and ATP stuff that is seen only on cars costing $50,000 or more? That is innovative packaging, no?

Sure, there could be improvements to the 3rd gen Prius...like even more sound proofing (even tho i am very OK with the current sound proofing with my new Ecopia tires), memory seat (but this adds tons of weight), better interior plastics, and maybe some other minor stuff that escapes my insomniac brain now. Are they deal killers? No. We have seen how some of these improvements have led to negative compromises (in my view)...see Lexus CT200h: much smaller less practical package just to stay competitive with efficiency. I have two toddlers with two baby seats and tons of stuff...so, CT200h packaging is a deal killer for me.

Now, there is ONE big wish for the 3rd gen Prius...Lithium batteries. But, this is only a year away for us.

So, remind me, how is it that you don't think that the 3rd gen is a major step forward again???

18. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oh yeah, i forgot about the solar roof with remote AC...how cool is that? (No pun intended!) Let me tell you...here in TX heat, i sure could use that solar roof when i get into my car after work! Packing all this into a car that costs less than $28,000 (less than $25k in some cases)!

Or how about the efforts that Toyota went into to make the Prius a cleaner car from first weld to production?

Not innovative enough for you?

19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The Gen 2 also won one UK magazine readers award for being the easiest car to drive.

1 person likes this.
  20. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two