1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You only live once

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Aug 16, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As part of my intellectual arsenal to make people think about the amount of oil they consume, I point out that 10.4% of imported oil in 2006 came from Venezuela and that Hugo Chavez is using his vast oil revenues to establish a modern-day communist dictatorship.

Here's the latest:
    ®, chemical, petrochemical and coal businesses.[/i]" website

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 15 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]496730[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder what Sean Penn would say in response? Personally, I think the people which rose up not to long ago will rise up again and kick Chavez's A$$ on out of there. But that will be hard to do seeings as how he controls the military and secret police.

Does the fact that Chavez is still in power mean the people still support him or does it mean he was successful in repressing any more protest? Time will tell . . .

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291855,00.html
    http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2006/11/...protest-in.html

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's always the argument that Venezuela is a Democracy because Chavez was elected.

Three-second history lesson: so was Saddam.

And when someone is elected Democratically, they normally don't have the power to change the constitution is such a way as to gaurentee that they will forever remain in power.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 16 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]497013[/snapback]</div>
    François (PapaDoc) Duvalier, Jean-Claude (Bebe Doc) Duvalier, Rafael Trujillo, and Joaquin Balaguer were all elected officials as well no?

So the lesson is; being democratically elected does not preclude any politician from being corrupt or instituting a dictatorship. lol

5. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 16 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]497126[/snapback]</div>
    Your post is a bit Hispanola-centric huh? :)

Chavez's electoral wins were legit, and he has significant support. Hussein/Duvaliers/Trujillo/Balaguer either did not hold elections, or they were fradulent. They did not have significant support.

Russian oil fields are nationalized. Mexican oil fields are nationalized. Saudi oil fields are nationalized. It's a strategic resource. It's a bad economic decision, but not much more than that.

This is Latin America. We have a history of subverting democracy and supporting governments who deny rights to their citizenry that we insist upon for ourselves. As a result, almost to a T any US action is going to have the opposite effect. That's sometimes true elsewhere, but nearly always true down south.

The best way to weaken Chavez is to invite him to Washington for tea.

It's funny in a way. Venezuela's weak yet real democratic form of government is roughly on par with Mexico's, and both have nationalized the oil industry. The only difference seems to be that Chavez is a loon who says silly things (indeed).

Putin's absolute squashing of Russia's even weaker democratic trends combined with their even larger proven reserves makes Russia a better target for motivating higher fuel economy.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mparrish @ Aug 16 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]497149[/snapback]</div>
    Those are the easiest for me to instantly recall since I studied their environmental issues not long ago and they were mentioned in Jared Diamond's "Collapse". :)

From Wiki:

"Supported by the United States legation, a military-civilian movement was organized in Santiago to overthrow President Vásquez's government. The civilian representative was Rafael Estrella, and Rafael Trujillo, then Chief of the Army and Brigadier General, the military man. The rebels made an assault in the Headquarters of Santiago, after which they marched towards Santo Domingo. President Vásquez ordered Trujillo to face the situation, but he alleged "illness". Vásquez named Colonel José Alfonseca to direct the military actions, but Trujillo replaced him with Simón Diaz, who did not attack the rebels. A few days after this comedy, specifically the 26th of February, the rebellious troops under the command of general José Estrella (uncle of Rafael Estrella), entered the capital without encountering resistance and shouting slogans in favor of Rafael Estrella and Trujillo. After some negotiations, it was announced the resignation of President Vásquez and the formation of a new government, with Rafael Estrella as president, although it was Trujillo who really controlled the situation by appointing his henchmen in key positions. Although he had promised that he would not aspire to the presidency of the country, Trujillo was proclaimed candidate on March 18, 1930 and elected president on May 16, with more than 95% of the votes."

So he was elected but I'm not sure I would consider it a model for democracy. lol

I like your points. :)

7. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 16 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]497013[/snapback]</div>
    It would seem that the biggest flaw with democracy is that once a person/party is in power they can change the rules to keep themself in power. This is what happened in Germany in the 30's and other places.

If the person/party in power wanted to, thhe can nullify laws, bully, intimidate, murder or whatever to influence the law makers or just force the lawmakers to change it so they stay in power indefinately. The methods change, but the outcome is the same.

A true test of a democracy is if the person/party relinquishes control after their term.