1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

... you really want an electric car? sure about that?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by asjoseph, Jan 4, 2023.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... the more I see, the more I read, the more I hear, the more I'm left at drawing conclusions, electrics are lease-it & leave 'um toaster oven specials, for suckers who don't know beans about automotive engineering:

Infographic: The Longest Lasting Cars, in Miles

What's the longest my electric coffee pot ever lasted? About 4 & 1/2 years? Sounds about right?

How Many Miles Can a Car Last? - iSeeCars.com

Never have you been, nor ever will you ever be passed, going cross-country, by an electric vehicle -

Sammy, '04 Ruthiemobile -

#1 asjoseph, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For our low annual mileage needs, a car lasting only 90kmiles vs a car lasting 270kmiles will have the same lifespan.

Both cars in 10 years will be a rust bucket.

#2 Salamander_King, Jan 4, 2023
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In a free market, each buyer votes with their wallet. I voted $24,000 and a Prius Prime for a Tesla Model 3. So far, no regrets. Open your wallet and choose.

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred and douglasjre like this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry, total BS.
    It has happened to me......a couple of times.

I was going "cross-country". I don't know where he was going.

5. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Despite all efforts Battery tech is not to the point where it needs to be to make the pure ev feasible. Not to mention the world's power generation capability to power a world full of pure EV vehicles.
    It is very possible to create vehicles that won't rust away in 10 years and even a lot more.
    We must not fall into the same pattern history shows us.
    The rich and powerful are invested in one technology so that's what they push.
    The actions that are being seen tell me this is probably what's happening.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Speaking of "suckers who don't know beans about automotive engineering" you're literally comparing a cheap electric coffee pot to most advanced cars ever made by an automotive industry that is almost entirely retooling to electric cars as quickly as possible to not only fulfill a massive new demand, but these vehicles have 1 part for every 4 parts in a regular gas powered car. As in way less things that can fail...

As for your references, an equivalent argument would be when the color TV first came out in 1954 in the half-dozen years after you could argue that black and white TVs last longer just because color TVs haven't been around long enough for it to be a fair comparison. And because there wasn't much for TV shows in color back then, you could argue it's just a silly gimmick. Of course how many people watch black & white TV today?

jerrymildred and Zythryn like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My next vehicle may be an ev, and idk beans about automotive engineering. so I guess that proves the op correct

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess I'm a sucker lol. I've bought every single hybrid and EV (including my current one). I've never leased. Funny. I was told the same thing when I bought my Gen 2 Prius (instead of leasing it)... you know "technology is always improving", "that battery will only last 5 years", "that battery will cost $10k to replace" (It was Cdn$3k including tax/labour), "Your car will be worthless at the end" (ok that last one is true... after 11.5 years, 245,000km and a dead battery :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Still got a couple grand for it though).

Seriously? The oldest modern EV is 10 years old (2012 LEAF or Model S). How can you expect 15 years out of a 10 year old car???

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2023-1-4_12-37-11.png

I remember the CNW "Dust to Dust" study 15 years ago, claiming that the Prius had a short life expectancy, and that the Hummer H3 was friendlier to the environment. My oh my, how history has been unkind to that author and study.

DUH!

The first Tesla Roadster is not quite 15 years old, and only 500 units of that version were built over the next year and a half.

The first Nissan Leaf is only 12 years old, and had too short a range for the people commonly driving 20k miles per year. Its was designed around common daily commuters with short to medium commutes, not cross country drivers.

The first Tesla S is only 10 years old.

#10 fuzzy1, Jan 4, 2023
    Zythryn, Trollbait and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that you mention it, my coffee maker we've used daily for over twenty years stopped working the other day. Probably a warn out relay, I'll try to fix it. :)

douglasjre and bisco like this.
  12. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My first CPAP machine lasted over 13 years without a problem. I'm still using my second machine nightly and it's 8 years old.

As for being passed driving cross country, you apparently haven't ever driven the I-15 to Las Vegas or the I-40 to Needles. Or, if you have, you've never stayed even remotely close to the speed limits. The same applies much closer to your location on the 58 from California City to Barstow. Teslas speed by us at well over the speed limit on all of those roads.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i am driving across country, all the ev's that pass me must be driving local, becasue: i know ;)

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Same with the ones I saw with out of state plates over the holidays.

bisco likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what you get for buying cheap Chinese cr@p. Or should I say "price competitive" cr@p. The Chinese are quite capable of building high quality goods when needed (not surprisingly, at higher cost), but that isn't what so many American companies moved or contracted manufacturing operations to China for. Production was moved there strictly for cost reduction reasons.

My first digital watch, a Texas Instruments model, lasted a few months short of 25 years. Its failure was mechanical, not electrical, when a band attach point broke off the case. The ones I get now, "affordable" models of different brands, generally fail the same way in a couple years.

One of my HP15C calculators, made in Corvallis, failed last year at age 39.5 years. The other, purchased by my then-employer 40 years ago this month, is still in daily use. As a (retired) engineer, scientist, and the primary household financier and accountant, these were my primary calculators at both work and home, used very heavily throughout their lives.

My original electric drill died last summer. It was already quite old when I inherited it from Grandpa 37 years earlier.

#15 fuzzy1, Jan 4, 2023
    douglasjre likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a perfectly fine 40 year old solar casio calculator, and a 10 year old mac book. the list goes on...

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had to repair a friend's 1970s-ish washing machine once, which I did by using epoxy to build back up the notched timer disks that rotated to work the cycle switches, and then filing the notches back to the right shape.

I had to repair my 2010-ish washing machine last week, by replacing a capacitor on its motherboard. (Switched-mode power supplies are hard on their output capacitors.)

#17 ChapmanF, Jan 4, 2023
    douglasjre likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they don't last like they used to...

19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have been through two oven-range, two each washer and dryer, two new refrigerators, and one new dishwasher in the last 18 years. 18 years prior to that, I don't remember replacing any of our major appliances.

bisco likes this.
  20. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Both my last two employers moved most of their production from US (North and South Carolina) to China, sadly.

That wasn't my experience with early LED watches, Usually the buttons stopped functioning in a couple of years, The eminently "affordable" iconic Casio F-91W tends to last much longer, with the possible exception of the original band.

My original variable-speed drill is 49 years old and still works well. By ironic coincidence, decades after I got it, I worked in the factory in which it was made.

I used an HP desk-top calculator heavily at work 1982-92, my only experience with RPN entry.

fuzzy1 likes this.