1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"You shouldn't drive a Prius because you're not Vegan"

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MrMischief, Aug 10, 2016.

1. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the strangest conversation yesterday and is the first real attack on my ownership of a Prius. My friends and family give me grief for it but it's all in good fun and if we truly get into it they're all very curious about the Prius, how it works and the economics of it. One of my coworkers yesterday was asking about my Prius now that I'm closing in on 5,000 miles, what I think of it and of course the MPG. I'm telling him I'm averaging 60 mpg and was going into the differences I see in mileage based on my route (things I had never thought of before driving a Prius). A vegan coworker overheard this discussion and walked over to join in and opened with "you shouldn't be driving a Prius if you're not vegan."

This really took me aback. My thinking was if anything a Prius should be getting me attaboys from the vegan community. Afterall I'm making some impact and I opted for a car that doesn't have a couple dead cows inside... But no. His reasoning is the pollution caused by growing and transporting my food is much worse than any v8 powered car I could've owned. He probably has a point. I told him I've been on farms and seen the amount of fuel and energy and water used to grow his food then it needs to be transported. Apparently he buys local so he knows he's better. Luckily I had a meeting to get to.

My first Prius attack though. It came from an unexpected place. I'm on my way to get steak and eggs for breakfast to think this over.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    So the vegan diet really DOES negatively affect the brain! Wow! ;)

3. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no one simple answer to all this. If we were all perfect, we would only eat food that had been grown without any any added resources, would build our houses from readily available local materials, wear clothes made from left-over organic material, etc. But we don't live in a perfect world, and we do like to live the good life, which may require the use of electricity, eating meat, etc. But we can still do all the things we want to do while being less wasteful of resources. We each do our little bit. Go and enjoy your steak and eggs.

ETP, Chuck., eric1234 and 2 others like this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Blow his mind, tell him you bought a Prius to help protect National Security: Less gasoline, less Foreign Oil.

Or tell him you are using E85 (do not do this*) so the Prius itself is 85% vegetarian.

* Toyota warns against more than E10.

fuzzy1 and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I explained to one of my cousins that I had a thing against Venezuelans and was trying to destabilize that country. So far I've been pretty successful. I was joking of course....

fuzzy1, alanclarkeau and KrPtNk like this.
  6. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Regarding transpiration of food, even if all that's true you aren't adding the V8 pollution on top of it...sometimes in the name of calling other people hypocrites it seems like people take an all or nothing approach, when in reality I think every little bit helps. It's like saying drivers of big trucks can't recycle because that would be inconsistent...shouldn't we be encouraging people to do whatever they can?

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Agreed but the amount of resources to grow beef especially is astoundingly higher than produce and really can't be sustained long term for an ever growing world population. Also a tremendous amount of water (an ever increasingly precious resource) is needed to grow corn/grain/hay to feed those cows. It's a double edge sword.

KrPtNk likes this.
  8. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We found the vegan!! :D:D:D

I would agree with all of that. You have a very good point. I would like to counter with "but they're tasty."

My point of it is that if he's going to say i'm only half assing it by driving a prius (which really, I do it for $$$ not for saving the earth, I really need a rifle rack in this car to stop that preconceived notion) then he is also half assing it by not growing all of his own food and materials with only the water and fertile soil that nature provides him. btw, he drives a VW TDI sssooo..... there's that.

9. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would have agreed that his logic is sound, and then opined that he should not be a vegan if he has (or ever intends to have) children.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's just a stupid statement.

And the fossil fuels that support the infrastructure that create goods and services, including food, both vegetable and meat based, is going to exist whether you dirive a Prius or a Dodge Ram Pick-Up.

If you have the resources financially to choose the lifestyle, everyone can pick one that THEY think reflects their personal beliefs and priorities. However...
    I would argue, being able to be a Vegan is representative of living in a developed nation and having the time and resources available to afford that luxury. Whether you are buying your fruits and vegetables at a Big Truck supplied Supermarket or at a local Farmers Market.

There are many places in the world where the priority being grasped for- is simply to eat-period.

His opening statement is invalid.

And I think he's being self-righteous, and far too Vegan-Militaristic.
    Your co-worker can evidently choose to be a Vegan, but does he drive a Prius?
    Because if that is his REAL belief?
    I think he should be riding a bicycle to work, or taking public transportation...because he's a vegan.

Otherwise, he can have his carrots...and you can have your Prius.

alanclarkeau and Coast Cruiser like this.
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One might argue that I should not have walked the PCT, if I was not prepared to walk everywhere the rest of my life. One is scenic glory, the other is a lot of concrete.

Jimbo Palmer | Facebook

12. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We all do what we do for different reasons. In some ways those of us purchasing efficient vehicles, putting up solar and wind generation, or even eating vegan is a step in the right direction. Some day, we may have no choice. But for now we do. Anything we do in regards to conservation is pioneering and expensive. We are paving the way for future generations ;)

People do say stupid things though, don't they?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a vegetarian I do not condone this message :D

I believe for environmentalists the "low hanging fruit" in changes that make the most difference as far as CO2 emissions and impact to the environment are:
    1. Make your home more efficient - insulation, efficient appliances, LED lightbulbs, low water landscaping etc. The biggest one here is heating and cooling your house with minimal power/fossil fuel use.
    2. Fuel efficient transportation - drive a fuel efficient car at a minimum or switch to public transport, bike, etc.
    3. Eat a earth friendly diet - as others pointed out the easiest change with the most impact is to not eat beef, or to not eat it on any type of regular basis (The carbon foodprint of 5 diets compared – shrinkthatfootprint.com).

As far as I know, transportation of people produces more emissions in the US than transportation of food. Worldwide this might be the opposite. I do get annoyed by people who live in inefficient houses that are overheated/over-air-conditioned and drive huge SUVs who then try to save the environment by "buying environmentally friendly shampoo." However your coworker is definitely off - fuel efficient transportation will make a huge difference in how much emissions you personally generate.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Actually I've recently become a vegetarian all the time and a vegan as much as possible. This is for health reasons and my annual blood test results are markedly improved. That I may be possibly improving things for others in some very small way is just a side benefit. My food bill is certainly going down. (y) FWIW

15. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my prius for a simple reason . I am happy. If anyone don't like it the can always look the other way.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

DonDNH and kithmo like this.
  16. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I always buy a large vegetarian pizza. Does that make me a "vegan?"

(but then I have them add pepperoni, sausage, canadian bacon... :D)

17. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think you may be confusing veganism with cannibalism. As a vegan his children will be safe.

18. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We once did all of this, and look where it got us... o_O

19. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Jimbo Palmer | Facebook[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't argue that, but I would point out it costs a Prius driver less per mile in gas, than it costs a thru hiker per mile in footwear.

20. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, "having children" IS actually open to two very different interpretations!
    As is the phrase, "To Serve Man".
    But seriously, wow what a non-sequitur in the OP.
    We are hip deep in alligators, and it will take pulling out all the stops to try to avoid severe consequences.

bisco likes this.