1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You wouldnt beleive it.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sheepdog, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was having issues with my front windshield wiper washers. They simply would not work. So I opened the hood and looked and what did I find?

The cover to the washer tank was flipped open. Thats all. no pinched lines no junk in the line no empty tank.

I closed the lid to the tank and the washers worked with all the wondeful intensity they always have!

I don't believe it myself. How is that possible?:boink:

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's a good question. You don't suppose the system pressurizes the tank? That would be weird, but not unthinkable.

Tom

3. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Pressuring the tank wouldn't be possible if the cap is a simple plastic leaky cap. (I'm not looking at the cap right now, but I believe it's black plastic).
    It's a flip up cap not a screw on, right.
    I'll check later when I finish dinner.

ZC1

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yea its white and a soft plastic that clips on. I didnt believe it so I left the hood open and undid the cap again. Yep! it didnt work! replaced cap and yes it works!

Must be ninja magic eh?

5. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Strange, very strange.

This fact belongs in the Most Obscure Facts thread.:)

Bob

6. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, I'll get off my nice person now, leave this post and go check my own car. I'm not sure why I'm gonna check as I know the lid has nothing to do with it.
    But....stranger things have happened.
    (I'll report back)

ZC1

7. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, I'm back.
    First thing I wanna say is: Never send a boy to do a man's job.
    I felt like some idiot when the rear wiper was a-going and squirting and the front wipers were doing nothing. Had to wipe that mess up.

First, I opened the hood and lifted the black plastic lid from the washer bottle. I noticed on the 2008 that the lid cannot flip all the way up due to the hood, when the hood is closed.
    2nd, I noticed, damn, my engine is still TOO hot after 45minutes to 1 hour, if not more, of being home. Weird.
    3rd, Enter the car, hit the brakes, punch the power button, and the car starts up. What the hell? What is all that weird noise coming from the engine compartment, whining, high pitched noises and other wierd noises I've not heard before.
    So I get out, check the compartment and after 20 seconds, it all dies down. Okay, solved that one.
    Back to the drivers seat, now where is that front wiper control?

After a minute of fiddling with the controls and cleaning up the rear wiper mess, I find and use the front wiper control.
    Immediately the front wipers start to move and 2 or 3 streams per washer outlet spray the front windows. It sounds kinda cool so I do it again.

Back to the engine compartment, close the washer lid, find a white rag and cleanup the blue mess I made, after closing the hood and turning the car off.

Conclusion: You better take it into the dealer, I think your main battery is gonna fail. (It's a joke folks, a j-o-k-e, get it)
    HAH!

ZC1

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope not! Im taking it in next week for a 5K service anyway. I will mention the issue and your concerns. It is strange but my wipers are working fine now so I aint gonna look anymore this week!

PS the rear wiper washer continued to work even when the fronts did not. still stranger.