1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Younger Prius Owners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by toyotechwv, Feb 28, 2008.

1. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what the average age here is but in my area most Prius owners are retired. I'm 28 years old and quite frankly most people my age or younger, atleast in this area, wouldn't even consider a Prius. I wish Toyota or Honda would produce an affordable performance oriented hybrid to attract younger buyers. Everyone I know has been impressed with my car and the technology involved. I feel most people have their mind made up on hybrids because they don't understand them. I'm not saying we can all make the world a better place by driving a Prius but it is a step in the right direction. Young people have the chance now to start making a difference for themselves and their future children/grandchildren. Sorry to rant but it just irritates me.

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You will find many younger Prius owners on this board. Somewhere there is a poll regarding members' ages and if I remember correctly it was quite diverse.

Some of us took a little longer to "get it". Even my kids don't get it yet:eek:hwell:.

3. liznowen

liznowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm 20 and I've had my Prius since last June.

But yes, most young people don't have the money or credit for a Prius. I got mine due to a death of a loving member of my family. I researched extensively but even before I found out that I could get a new car I already really liked the Prius.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The stats vary some by state. WV isn't exactly Berkley.

Tom

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we run up and down that stretch of 77 a few times a year but have never seen a prius in wv as far as i remember.

we did get assaulted by an idiot in a large truck in charleston once...

6. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had a wonderfully literate post, but for some reason, the laptop ate it....is that the new excuse in schools, BTW.

Anyway, many decades from retirement here, but most people in their 20s that want to spend $24K on a car are guys that are going to buy big trucks or V-8 Mustangs, not Prius'....except for some of us "flower children" :hippie:

7. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My hubby and I are also 28 & we love our Prii!

8. VanMelum

VanMelum VanMelum

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm 24! Bought a 2008 prius in september when they first hit the market! I drive about 3000 miles a month for work, and am actually saving money by owning a new car!

I agree that I don't ever see any younger people driving them, but I think it is for two reasons (neither of which include money)

1 Uncool image
    2 Marketing is towards a different audience

Yes...I just used the word uncool, because it is so all encompassing, and it knows no generation barriers. That being said, I have convinced two of my friends to buy one because I am so stoked on the car. I think all toyota would have to do to sell more prius is to put adverts on mtv, cosmo, and just aim for a different audience. You know the young hippie tree hugger audience. <wink>

9. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am 27 now, and I bought my Prius nearly two years ago. Most young people are interested in technologically advanced products, and few cars are more advanced than the Prius. Anecdotally, I do tend to see more "older people" driving Prii, but I think more and more young folks will make the leap.

10. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm 24, and I just bought a Prius earlier this month. I'm an engineer, so the technology and practicality definitely appeal to me. There's a young(ish) Marine Corps Sergeant who I work with who also owns one. Other than him, most of my friends make fun of my for driving the car.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a number of young Prius owners here.

My friends don't have hotrods but they do prefer sporty cars and image over the Prius.

The difference? They don't have the luxury of driving as often as I do because it costs too much to fuel their car. You might say, well they're doing better than you since they're using less fuel because they're driving less, except their tanks are a lot bigger and because of the rubber bladder, it takes 2.5 refuels for one of their tanks in the winter, 2 tanks in the summer and I'm sure they're refuelling at least once a month which has me covered (I refuel every 2-3 weeks)

12. weoner

weoner New Member

i'm 23 and have had my 2008 for three months now

i tend to be "older" however considering i am married with two kids. i surprise a lot of people apparently. maybe it is because i still act like i am 14.

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, um, we aren't retirement age! :)

DH and I are a little more "experienced" than some on this board, but inside, we're just a couple of kids having fun!

:car:

14. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm 22, bought my Prius back when I was 21. I traded in my Scion tC for it. I guess I knew what I was doing back then. :p. I mainly did it because I liked the styling and features of the prius.

15. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm really young and have a Prius! I'm 42!

But I've been told I look 41...

16. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm only 53 but my wife says I act like I'm 8. She also says I'm a techno-nerd. I think the latter is probably correct. AFAIC you're only as old as you think you are. My interests have always been science related, everything from ham radio to egyptology, geology, mineralogy, geography, computers... ad nausium. The Prius fit in with our environmental concerns, which is the main reason we bought one, the geek factor was attractive to me too. I actually DID see somebody less than 30 driving a Prius this morning, and was surprised, every Prius owner I see has gray hair. At least only my beard is gray so far.

17. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also probably one of the younger drivers.
    Bought it when I was 22, with a 15k "loan" from my parents - which has been paid in full.

18. HealthPromotion

HealthPromotion New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm 26...my friends all drive nonsensical sportscars and huge suv's.

I have two friends who drive Tdi's...which I guess I consider more mature vehicles to drive.

19. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm an old geezer (58) but a few years from retirement. I'm curious, however, about the comment that young people don't like the Prius because it isn't sufficiently performance-oriented, but likewise gratified to see the multiple replies by people in their 20s who do own Prii. I had the impression, in my relatively short time on this site, that all adult ages were fairly well represented, except perhaps the blue-hair set.

My first car, when I was in college in the late 60s, was a VW Beetle. Back in those days Beetles were everywhere on college campuses, probably one in four cars was a Beetle which was basically the economy car of its day. It definitely had demographic ramifications, however. The hippies and "flower children" and enviro types gravitated toward Beetles (and VW vans), whereas the more conservative kids and young adults drove '57 Chevy's or newer muscle cars or trucks.

Hopefully, as gas prices continue to hike their inevitable and inexorable way to $4 per gallon and more, the appeal of Prii and other hybrids will increase among all age-groups. I remember a time in the early 70s when you basically couldn't give away a muscle-car, and suspect that those days are coming again.

20. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought mine when I was 29. A friend bought his classic Prius at 26 or 27. But I do usually see more "experienced" people in Prii. I'd guess that the average age of Prius drivers I see is around 48.

Personally, I'll do what I can to spread "economy" as a cool and popular idea, and "performance" as uncool/wasteful. I'm annoyed by people who think that wanting to be more efficient with my own money and easier on my world is some kind of radical attitude.