1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Younger Prius prospective owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NorCaSpinna, Nov 21, 2005.

1. NorCaSpinna

NorCaSpinna New Member

Hey all

Well 5 months ago, I would have never dreamed id have a tiny remote interest in owning a hybrid car but now I am almost certain that it will be the next car that I purchase.
    For the last 4 or some odd years I have worked for Honda (in the service department) and have seen the success of such cars as the insight, civic and accord hybrids. But needless to say, the Prius has caught my eye over these. (talk about sleeping with the enemy)

Now here is a little bit about me:
    I am a 23 year old college senior living in the bay area about to graduate and move to San Francisco. I plan to eventually find a job in SF but while I am searching, I plan to maintain my job in the south bay while living in SF (roughly 35 minute drive from SF w/o traffic)

As mentioned above, I have almost fully decided on the prius but there are a few questions I have that all you current owners could help me with.

1. Performance
    - My current car is a 2004 Toyota Corolla S with the 1.7 120hp dohc engine. I am pretty satisfied with the acceleration, control and ride of the vehicle and I
    am wondering if the Prius would be at all comparable to this.

2. Age
    - Sounds like a funny question but as many Priuses as there are, I havent really seen any younger Prius owners in my area. Are there any other in my age group (18-25) that drive this car on this site or in general?

3. Sound system
    - Being a fan of multiple types of music (but mostly hip hop) I will need a system that can provide a decent experience. I understand you can get a JBL soundsystem upgrade in one of the packages. What is the power offered in this system and is the sound a quality sound?

4. HOV Lane Stickers
    - One of, if not the greatest perks of owning a prius. Does anyone know the current count of how many are remaining?

Again I thank all of you for your responses and help and appreciate any input.

Erik

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I'm in that 18-25 age group... I think it's hard for most people that age group to afford a relatively pricey car like the Prius, since most are just getting started in life.

I have never driven a Toyota Corolla S, so I really couldn't tell you much about how the Prius compares to the Corolla... I would imagine that even though the Prius's aggregate horsepower is comparable to the Corolla, it will accelerate differently. The CVT will feel very different from the Corolla's automatic.

The JBL system that you mentioned is a step up from the standard speakers but isn't great. I'm not much of an audiophile, so I can't really give you a comparison...

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Welcome!

1. Test drive one. Or use this for comparison: what's the 0-60 time with your Corolla? With the Prius, it's about 10 sec. If you can't find a Prius to test drive, go out and time yourself 0-60. And I believe the Prius will out-accelerate your Corolla from 50 to 90.

2. There's a poll here of members' ages. See if you can find it. It'll tell you a lot more than the next 20 posters telling you how old they are.

Not competent to advise you on sound systems or HOV stickers.

4. davek

davek New Member

(whooo! first post!)

I'm 17. I DROVE an 05 prius (flipped and totalled)... getting an 06 as soon as my dealer gets them in.

Well...

1. My 03 tacoma (4 cylinder) is comparable. I'd say it's pretty damn decent uphill.

2. Like I said.... I'm 17.

3. I listen to mostly rock/punk and it's not bad. Better than my friend's full option 05 Corolla S.

+... Chicks dig it.

.......D

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with your specified age group. Note that your Corolla S has a 1ZZ-FE 1.8 litre DOHC VVT-i engine with 130hp @ 6000rpm and 126lb-ft at 4,400rpm (under old SAE standards). I have test driven the 2003 Corolla LE and found it accelerated well with a nicely weighted wheel and stiff-ish suspension (compared to our old 2000 Corolla LE).

Now, compared that to the Prius, I found the Prius to be comparable to the Corolla I test drove. The suspension seems a tad stiffer and not as well managed under rough road surfaces. ABS stops in both cars were fairly undramatic. It's 3 inches shorter than your Corolla on the outside but you'll find it to be more spacious inside. Front legroom might be comparable (by feel, not by the dimensions). The rear is definitely larger than the Corolla though in terms of width, they're about the same.

With regards to the sound system, we've heard rumours that the JBL sound system in the 06 Prius has been "upgraded". All I remember was galaxee saying something about the materials used for the cones in the door speakers. No idea what the wattage on the system is. I recommend a subwoofer to be installed. That'll get you the most boom for your dollar.

Oh, and with regards to acceleration, it may feel like the Prius is slower because you don't get that "kick" into the seatback when you gun it but umm, just glance down at your speedo when you do and see if the numbers match cause power delivery is smooth so keep an eye on the speedo.

6. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you read through these post's you will find some prius owners like the sound system some think it's just ok and some think it is terrible.
    most think the accerelation is good or just OK, it depends what they drove before.

The best thing that you can do is rent one for at least a day and see what YOU think because that is all that matters. Some toyota dealers will rent you a prius for a day or a week.

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First of all, welcome to PC!

I am 22 just grad from college and land a pretty nice job, but with a long commute (50 miles one way). Prius was my first choice. And I drove my gf's 04 Corolla before, but not Corolla S (close enough). So I think I can give you a fair comparison.

1. Acceleration wise, Corolla would beat the Prius. I feel that with slight touch on the gas, the Corolla will just launch. But for the Prius, you actually have to step on it (but don't be afraid to). I've out pace number of cars and SUV's on local streets and highways. I have not have any problems merging. I never feel that the Prius needs more power. For brake, Prius is alot more sensitive than the Corolla. But I have to say one thing, after you drive the Prius, you don't want to drive the Corolla anymore. The Corolla just seems... too mechanical, and "normal". While the Prius is hi-tech, and cool. B) One thing for sure, Prius has WAY more leg room than the Corolla. One time I was measuring the Corolla with my floor mats. My rear mats are so much longer than the Corolla's that they just won't fit. I was saying to my gf, "wow, my Prius got so much more leg room than your car." :lol: Then my gf gave me this look <_<

2. Well, I answered that question already.

3. For sound, Prius doesn't have the best sound system out there. But I'm not that picky in this area, so I don't have any complains. I don't have the JBL sound system, but other ppl have said it's not too impressive. For some reasons, I always feel that my gf's Corolla sounds better than the Prius. But I am no sound engineer.

4. Can't answer you. Mayb other Cali drivers can answer you on that. I know there's a bill in NY that will allow hybrids to use HOV. But if that bill can pass or not is another story.

I do agree with others about renting one. That's the best thing to do.
    Now browse around and enjoy!

8. Bionic

Bionic New Member

I'm in your age group, 24, grad student.

As for your questions:
    The Prius has plenty of ability to accelerate, but once you get one, you won't want to gun it off the line because of the mileage hit :)
    The only time I've been worried about acceleration is when going uphill from a stop or very slow starting speed. This might be an issue in San Francisco
    The sound system is leaps and bounds above my cheapo '94 Accord that I was driving before this, but it could use a sub and maybe some higher-end speakers. Note that I don't have the JBL system in mine. I don't know anything about HOV.

If you have any more questions, feel free to send a PM. I was a Honda driver since I had my license, but switched for the Prius...

9. BeachDriver

BeachDriver New Member

You are in a very lucky minority of drivers your age that can afford, (or talk your parents into it), to purchase a Toyota Prius.

The cost of a Prius is far and above what many people just starting out can afford. And the alternative vehicles for a little to much less money have much more appeal to the average young person - VW Beetle, Mini Cooper, Ford Mustang, etc.

1. The performance is not comparable. The Prius is not a performance car.

2. Already covered.

3. The Prius has an adequate sound system. Even the JBL system is tinny compared to a low-end aftermarket system.

4. In CA there are plenty of the new gold HOV stickers. There are more stickers than Hybrids registered in the entire state. Don't let the Toyota salesmen pressure you! There are 70,000 slated, and 50,000 before the first "evaluation". As of November 14th there had been approximately 22,000 stickers issued.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm 23, grad student, just bought the Prius last spring.

Looking back, nothing else makes much sense now that we have the Prius... I'd say go for it. Sorry this is kinda short, checking PC between experiments... ;)

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    1. Performance
    I've rented a 2005 Corolla S for a few weeks. The performance off the line is maybe slower than a Prius, but at freeway-speeds, about the same. The Prius has much more body-roll especially cornering with the weightless steering feel (more like riding a bicycle than driving a car), but a softer (not mushy) ride. This is going by "I feel".

2. Age
    I'm certainly not in your age group, and personally, I wouldn't step up to a Prius unless my finances could support it. You're not going to be saving that much in gas, as much as just getting a more smaller, efficient, gas-only car. Coming from being building debt at a young age, I wouldn't do it again.

3. Sound system
    You would better be off getting the non-JBL system, and then ripping it out for aftermarket amp/speakers; if you have discerning ears. Too bad this means you have to cut out NAV and HID lights too.

In the stock JBL, my trance bass is over-emphasized as well as the highs, and ultra-lows are just missing due to no sub. For radio, it's fine.

4. HOV Lane Stickers

don't care. :)

12. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

I'm 22 graduated from college and bought one for myself. I couldn't be happier with it.

I did buy b/c of the hauling capability. I drove my dad's 04 and loved it, and continued to drive it. My Prius- Prometheus- replaced my Taurus... the only complaint I have is that it doesn't handle like a sports car, but I knew that when I bought it.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't get a mini cooper is i had the money. It's too expensive and high maintenance. I mean, premium fuel for the 1.6 litre engine?!?! All I get is 106hp. I might as well get a Yaris.

14. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not in your age group (34), but I do have one with the JBL and might even work across the street from you depending on which Honda Dealership you work at (I work at Smythe Volvo). If you would like, I'd be happy to meet up with you so you can drive it and judge the stereo for yourself.

We just got it a couple of weeks ago and have 1600 miles on it. Just got the HOV stickers, plenty left if you are looking to purchase anytime in the next couple of months.

Let me know.

15. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 28. I hope that is close enough to your age range for comparison. My college car was quite old and I didn't trust it for longer drivers, traveling etc. and as such the Prius is a huge improvement for me. I had been saving a long time and had reserves for a very large down payment, so I'm not drowning in debt over it either.

First off, it is good advice to save money for a house purchase rather than getting a car straight up. However, if you have an unreliable car, that kind of trumps the house savings plan for a while.

1. The Prius is not a performance car. I wouldn't call the Corolla S a performance car either, just a very nice compact with nice trim and some sporty features. But the Prius has very good performance overall considering the size and implementation.

2. Don't worry about age. Drive what makes economic sense for you. The Prius is a bit of a chick magnet, but I can't say I've had any dates because the girl liked my car. Anyway, do I really want to be in that kind of relationship? Not much different from a girl who gets with a guy because he has money.

3. I like the JBL sound system, but beware, if you like to do custom stereo stuff in cars the Prius is not the car for you. The integration between the sound system and the very useful steering wheel remote controls pretty much locks you into their stereo head unit. The JBL system has two amplifiers and the amplifier that lives under the passenger seat is integrated into the vehicle in such a way that it is difficult to remove it or upgrade it. Simply put, the only thing you can do to improve the Prius sound system is to upgrade speakers, and possibly add a sub or bazooka tube.

I have no issues with the JBL system. It doesn't "thump", but it is a very good all around system, for me that is.

4. Can't answer this one. I live in Washington, but honestly, aren't the two states starting to look like each other in terms of rampant liberalism, governmental incompetence and greed?

16. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

I'm 21 and am in Oceanside, CA. There seems to be quite a few young people responding to your question here but I have yet to see anyone younger than 30 driving a Prius other than myself.