1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Younger sister getting my 200k '08 Prius as a "hand me down"; tips to make sure she doesn't kill it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SRQ, Apr 28, 2018.

1. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my 18 year old sister will be getting my Prius as I transition to a Jeep Wrangler*. She's not mechanically or technically inclined YET, and doesn't quite grasp how much money she'll be saving by doing routine maintenance herself. I'm certain that she will quickly "get it" though, especially since she's suffered from the effects of our parents not maintaining their own vehicles properly and being stranded because the low oil light came on and I ordered her not to drive another inch until there was more added.

So anyway, does anyone have experience or stories or something to add about younger drivers in a high mileage Gen 2? I've been telling her that she needs to check the oil frequently since it's been burning oil (less now that I've changed to a heavier weight).

Emergency/contingency equipment includes a fire extinguisher, air compressor, jumper cables, spare fuses, spare lightbulbs for headlights/running/brake lights, tire repair kit, spare tire, poncho, flares, non-perishable food, flares, matches, medical kit, spare iphone charging cables/cigarette power adapters, power inverter, signaling mirror, pepper spray, field knife, zip ties, glow sticks, reflective vest, engine coolant and extra oil with funnel in the car at all times, all of which are already in the vehicle, and will remain in it once she gets it. Can you tell I'm military? If anyone has anything to add to this list, please do so.

* Been driving the Prius before, during, and after college. I'm finally making enough money and driving less distances to justify having such a comparatively difficult vehicle. I'm mechanically & technically inclined so I'm capable of taking care of it, and I'll be gone a few months at a time anyway so I'll be driving a fraction of the miles I used to. Plus excellent resale value to other people who are interested in poor financial choices!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey man! I "sold" my 2005 Prius with 295,xxx miles to my younger sister a few years ago when I got a much newer Prius. I really wasn't too worried honestly. She took it to college two hours away, the college was also on the top of a moutiain (you take a very steep curvy road up) so it didn't get an easy life post me. I always babied the car, but it never failed me.

I made sure to tell her to check the oil often, telling her the engine DOSE use oil, and if it gets too low it will blow up (True but more of a scare tatic)! !

With these old gen 2's, just make sure they have nice tires, and topped up on oil, and any other fluid that is old replace it. Drive em till the drop, that's all you can do.

That 2005 is still running and has over 310k now. My brother drives it! My little sister ended up falling in love with that old prius. She was actually sad that dad didn't want her driving a car with that many miles anymore. The has a 2010 prius now.

3. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been saying the exact same thing about the oil; again, she's already had issues with our parents not checking their oil and being stranded because of it, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

I might take the car back from her once she's finished with it and moves on to another one, as it's grown on me and I like the idea of driving it until it explodes :)

4. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a thoughtful Big Brother, you should teacher her where and how too replace all those spare light bulbs. The correct way to use the jumper cables ( under hood) point out ground stud and positive in fuse box. Tell her not too panic if the RED triangle comes on because she accidentally had the door open when putting the drive selector in R or D. Yeah that happened too me once when I wasn’t expecting it. Have her read the owners manual. Teach and have her do a spare tire change. Of course posing as a damsel in distress will get male assistance quickly too. Have pepper spray in hand while posing
    Show her how to read the dip stick and what the marks indicate. Will she be doing oil changes or just taking is to the local quick change shop every 3-4 months? Show her how to reset the OIL Change interval indicator and what it means when flashing at power up vs on steady.

Has the car had the Coolant control valve replaced? Mine went at 172k.

iPhone X ?

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check

The

Oil.

Aaron Vitolins, kenoarto and nssdiver like this.
  6. nssdiver

nssdiver Me digging' life

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    SKS? Change the battery yearly! (Key fob)
    Does she know how to use the physical key?

iPhone ?

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When my daughter was a starving college student, I found a oil change place near her that sold 5 for $99 oil changes, and bought her a coupon each year. She knew she SHOULD change the oil, she just never had the cash. A 6 pack of oil in the hatch as she gets it may get her in the habit of checking.

You do not list a location, so I do not know where she is. B mode is important on long downhills of over 600 foot drop, you do not want to over heat that old battery pack. (the engine will sound strained in B mode, all is well) Park in shade, use sunshades, tint widows, etc. Overheating the battery is bad.

I would pull the jumper cables for your Jeep and get her a battery jump pack. Jumping other cars is bad for the Prius. No sense giving her tools to fail with.

(You are a good brother, have we said that yet?)

8. eljefino

eljefino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I wonder if you've overloaded her with that kit. So much stuff she'll just clam up and freak out.

I'd have kept it to a quart of oil of the type you'd like her to add, and a major brand and weight sold everywhere, including Target, where girls tend to shop. A rag, a funnel, some nitrile gloves, and an ELM327 OBD dongle. Her seeking more kit for her car will be one of those life skills. Maybe she'll even be excited the day she walks into an autozone and changes a marker light in the parking lot!