1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Youngest Prius driver?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Holly311, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Holly311

Holly311 New Member

I live in the Bay Area where I see a Prius every several miles it seems and am still curious as to who is driving it....and I have never seen anyone remotely close to my demographics!! (23 year old female) I am actually surprised by how many people my grandparent's ages drive Prius' around here. Just wondering what the demographics are of the majority of Prius drivers you all see...

2. oneflow

oneflow New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Holly311 @ Jan 25 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]380750[/snapback]</div>

I am a 25 year old male and i drive one, but i agree i don't see that many people that are close to my age driving them.

3. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Holly311 @ Jan 25 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]380750[/snapback]</div>
    24 yr old male here and I drive an '07 Touring. I live just North of you up in Sacramento where we don't have too many Prii(?) but on the commute down to the bay I see plenty and it does seem to be favored by older (wiser?) folks...

I Love the car and all of my friends that gave me crap about it have long since been silenced :D

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Holly311 @ Jan 25 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]380750[/snapback]</div>
    I'm still in my 30's (barely). Here in Chicago I see quite a few people in my demographic, and that was the case at the last Chicago meet-up I went to. This newsgroup tends to skew towards the young side (more parents than grandparents so it's still relative), but that's because it's online.
    The HCH is a little cheaper and a little smaller, but almost same gas mileage. I'm wondering if that attracts a younger demographic, the pre-parent group?

5. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am 27 and I have seen Prii with similar age drivers. However, there are a lot of older (perhaps retired) people driving them here in Ann Arbor. If you go to the farmer's market on Saturdays, you will see dozens of Prii parked nearby. :rolleyes:

I guess the prius is the Hippie car to drive around. :D

6. willha418

willha418 New Member

23 / M / Socal

7. Holly311

Holly311 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Platypus @ Jan 25 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]380780[/snapback]</div>
    haha, same here! :)

well good to see some fellow 20 somethings on here driving such a smart car

8. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the big question is, how many young drivers have paid for the car themselves... anyway, I am 25 y/o male whos currently making payments on a car that was run into 6 days after I financed it. And now, a month later, I still won't have the car back til next month... OK enough of my sob story

9. Holly311

Holly311 New Member

Paying for it 100% myself! Making monthly payments doesn't even bother me, I love my car so much. Paying rent is what sucks...

10. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree 100%!

11. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Jan 25 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]380804[/snapback]</div>
    Wait, you mean to say there are young people out there that don't have to earn what they want? That's too bad - they're missing out!

I started researching and planning for my Prius-purchase in 2001 - Didn't like the shifter design, among other things (looked nearly identical to the ECHO due to shared chassis and body style) so when they did the redesign I took a second look and got all the finances in order to purchase one.

I'm sorry to hear about your Prius getting busted up :(

12. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm 37 and I'm not old, and so is my wife!

Dave

13. gge5

gge5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm 23/M and am living up in Prius-loving Corvallis, Oregon. Most of the drivers here are older professors of Oregon State University. Wait, now that I think about it I work at OSU also... There has to be at least 150 Prii in this town of 45K people. Mine's the only one in town with a sharkfin though :)

14. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    20/M/Socal

19 when I first got my car . . . :) I love my parents.

15. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 24 and finally decided that I was secure enough to take the plunge after spending a few years in the work force. But my parents put me through college so they still basically get the credit!

I see plenty of these things around here but, like others have said, I see a lot of gray hair when I check to see who is driving. Oh well!

16. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. mark_amdg

mark_amdg Junior Member

I'm 21, got the car when I was 20. I attend UCLA, where I see many Prii... so, from what I see, many college-aged students drive hybrids (well, you also have to consider that UCLA is a huge commuter school, too. So a hybrid definitely helps). From my experience, the Prius actually makes my commute A LOT more bearable. Thank God for hybrids!

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 31 but I'm told I look 25. Does that count? :)

I commute from Fairfield to Rocklin 4 days a week for school and I'm often in the Fremont area and I tend to see more young-looking drivers in the Bay. Near Sacramento it seems like I am the youngest one around.

I also notice that NONE of the other Prius drivers will look at me. I'm used to driving the Corvette and having every other Vette owners wave to you. I try to do the same for the Prius people but they don't seem to notice. Why can't we all be friends? :p

19. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

55, old enough to be a grandparent, but mother of a teen with no grandkids in sight. Guilty as charged of being part of the Farmers Market crowd, though! I am really glad to hear that there are 20 somethings driving these cars. I hate the idea of being the owner of a car that is only driven by grandparents.

20. Kross

Kross New Member

24 here. Prius is the third car I have purchased (in my lifetime) that I am paying for on my own. I have two cars currently and the second one (2002 Mitsubishi Galant LS) is paid for completely.

I have been thinking about trading in the Prius for another vehicle lately. Mostly because I miss the comforts of a luxury sedan (I traded in my Saab 9-5 for the Prius last year). I miss the comfy ride with power/memory/heated everything. At the same time, I have been spoiled by all the gadgets in the Prius and it's tough to find all this tech bundled into one car these days...that is unless you want to pay top dollar, which I don't currently (I'm getting married this year, plus I bought a house last year so the mortgage payments don't make things easier).

Enough blabbing... yeah, back to the point, I'm 24 years old too, lol :)