1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your car is advanced - now get the advanced web browser

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Many may have noticed the Firefox link on the left side of the PriusChat page by now. In the last several months, I have become increasingly fed-up with IE and have moved to using Mozilla Firefox almost exclusively.

I encourage everyone to get Firefox and try it out - it really does change your web browsing experience.

SpreadFirefox.com is trying to spread the word about Firefox, so I signed up PriusChat to join in the cause. For each person that downloads Firefox through the link below or the button on the side of the page, PC gets credited.

We won't get anything out of it, but it's always fun to feel like you're in a competition :) Spread the link & help PriusChat rise to the top of the referring sites.

[img=left:877b055573]http://www.spreadfirefox.com/community/images/affiliates/Buttons/180x60/get.gif[/IMG] Watch for PriusChat to jump into the top 250!
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates/top250
    Share this link with your friends & family:
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=user/register&r=21463

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did they fix the memory leak that hosed Mozilla 1.7?

In the meantime I bought an Apple eMac, and life is good.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

Out of curiousity Danny, what kind of problems were you having with IE, or was it just generally not liking the software? Don't worry I'm not trying to start a 'my browser is better than yours' war, I'm just curious as to your problems and how Firefox fixed them. Thanks!

-m.

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i think what has been coming out in the computer publications is that IE is just too much of a target/security risk for various kinds of attacks. although it has its problems, my main issue with IE, as with many microsoft products, is that they are arrogant bloatware, long on taking over your computer and slowing it down, short on features you can use.

for instance, i am totally addicted to tabbed browsing. as it happens for several years i have used an IE add-on that is mainly geared towards EBAY, but it has a great tabbed interface for general browsing as well. netscape has this, but firefox does it even better.

that's just one example.

5. stuffmanca

stuffmanca New Member

Thanks Danny/ Aaron.

I totally agree with you folks about Firefox; i have been using it for about 6 months now and really like it...do we get credit if we already downloaded it before?

:)

Here's the latest on the M$ fiasco from CNET....more patches....

ben

Black Beauty Prius 2005

6. stuffmanca

stuffmanca New Member

7. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree--Firefox is a great browser. Thunderbird is an excellent e-mail client too.

But how about an advanced OS to go with your browser? A house is only as solid as its foundation after all. MacOS or Linux anyone?

8. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been notice IE has allot problem, I just got tired about it.
    Since I use PC not Mac, and I love the "Safari" browser which PC doesn't have.
    Is anything to know when designing website? I'm still new to designing website.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, downloaded and am using Foxfire on my laptop. Seems nice, but not much different from Netscape 7.1 which I'd gotten pretty used to. I love tabbed browsing (had never heard that term before but have been using it for a year or more with Netscape).

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    GO MOZILLA!!!

actually, the biggest problem with IE is its popularity. virus writers want the biggest bang for their scumware so they aim for the biggest available target.

Mozilla is not necessarily better because the developers are that much better than microsoft. it is simply Mozilla doesnt have to defend itself nearly as much. same with apple.

a lot of IE's problems were addressed with the SP 2 update, but fact is, they still will have problems because there are tens of thousands of people trying to make microsoft look bad.

11. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've also already switched to Firefox on both the PC and the Mac. Very, very nice, with lots of plugins being developed to cover my every need!

Dave

12. Batavier

Batavier Member

Downloaded and installed.

Not sure if the IT dep will like it, but... /shrug.

Also installed at home. Seems like an okay browser.

13. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"45136)</div>
    I like so far... Better and first load up than IE
    SP2 manage to disable Macromedia Dreamweaver MX2004 and I was on the phone with Tech guys for 2hrs :cussing:

14. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Netscape 7.2 is the best.

15. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love "Safari" oh its Mac thing :mrgreen: Netscape improve than IE :roll:
    I wanna Mac so BAD :cry:

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I dropped IE as my main browser because, after using Firefox, I realized just how slow and buggy it can be. For instance, if I leave my computer on for a couple of weeks (which I do on a normal basis) the first program to start hogging resources and bombing out is IE.

I also love the tabbed browsing, the intuitive secondary menu (right click), it's web developer tools, and the massive amounts of plug ins & skins available.

As you go through the Mozilla/Firefox settings, you see a feature and think, "Yeah, that's something I've been waiting for in IE."

Wait no more. :)

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if i could convince my work to drop IE i would be in heaven as i dropped them 3 years ago. that was when mozilla and IE was even as far as problems. but every two weeks (yes mozilla has downloadable betas you can get every two weeks!) mozilla just pulled ahead a little bit until it aint no competition anymore.

with SP2, now IE has better firewall support, popup blocker and integrated security tools but as we all know, new products from microsoft take time to work right. mozilla has had all this for almost 2 years now. popup stopper for 18 months...so they have worked out the bugs (in popup stoppers case, it never really had any bugs. one of the best programs ive seen for any amount of money and its FREE)

but the best part of it is if you want to build a custom version of mozilla, get Firefox(same thing just stripped down) and add what you want, ignore what you have no need for.

that is something that IE WILL NEVER DO~!!

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Been using Foxfire for a couple of months now after IE took my hard drive and my data recovery man introduced me to FF. WOrks great!

19. PetersPrius

PetersPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've long since dropped IE and have been using Netcaptor with great success. It's a tab browser as well and has captorgroups which allow you to open several websites with one click.
    http://www.netcaptor.com/?

20. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I have downloaded Firefox and like it a lot. It is in many ways similar to Netscape 7.2, which I consider much superior to Explorer.