1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your Efforts Aimed At A Healthier Diet?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack Kelly, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With the explosion of "healthier-diet"-oriented information the last 25 years or so, much of it "research-based" (and some undoubtedly profit-driven), I get more and more hopelessly confused. Anyone else?

The first diet supplement I became aware of, in the late 1940's, was the godawful cod liver oil my mother made me swallow daily. (Anyone else start out with others?) I don't know if anti-oxidants had even been "discovered" then.

Now I feel assaulted with the Diet Wonder Discovery Du Jour. A lot of what I hear and read automatically makes me skeptical---but still interested. Miracle vitamins, minerals, oils, veggies, grains, indeed, whole diets, wax (and usually wane) in my consciousness.

Now, at 65, I'm told that partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, which in some respects have been the basis of many American diets (e.g., increasingly, since the 50's, in prepared foods), may also have shorterned my life expectancy. Trans-fats? Why didn't someone study this half a century ago?

Anyway: what do YOU eat, or avoid eating, and with what do you supplement it, as your consciousness has evolved since you were a kid? Any devout vitamin/mineral believers here?

Among PC-ers over, say, 45 , has anyone ever actually noticed any change in how their bodies function or feel that they attribute to changes in diet? How much of what we eat/avoid is "faith-based"? Or, perhaps more accurately, fear-based?

If this topic goes anywhere, I see more than one poll down the road.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a strict diet. I've eaten garbage mostly all my 31 years and I had my blood work down last year which came out remarkably perfect. My heart was tested before I started Kung Fu and that came out great as well. My diet has shifted to one with less meat in it for environmental and social reasons. I still eat meat but I try to make an effort to eat less of it.

I no longer eat fast food unless I am in dire need of something.

3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 11 2006, 02:38 AM) [snapback]360284[/snapback]</div>
    My bete noire when I was a kid was a laxative called "California Syrup of Figs" which I was made to take every bedtime. Is it still sold? When I was young many of my contemporaries (including me) were rushed to hospital for an appendectomy. Many years later I have wondered whether the high incidence of suspected appendicitis was a result of too much "California Syrup of Figs".

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the most part I eat what I enjoy. I'm a bit of a gourmet cook and Big Green Egg BBQ freak. I have my cholesterol checked annually and it's remained, nearing the age of 40, very good. I have an active live b/w a busy 'on your feet' job, 3 kids, and just liking to get out and do stuff. I do not shy away from butter.

A couple big changes I've consciously made:
    1)I cook with salt, but almost never add salt at the table (unless it was completely left out by the cook).

2)For years I took 2 - 3 20oz Coca Colas or Mountain Dews to work to sip on during my shift. After a lecture from a friend who lost a tremendous amount of weight on a low carb diet about HFCS (high fructose corn syrups) I switched to just taking unsweetened iced tea in a couple 32oz Nalgene bottles. It keeps me hydrated with zero sugar or calories. In case you're wondering, I'm both afraid of and don't like the taste of nutrasweet in the diet drinks.

I probably still eat fast food 2-3 times/week depending upon how frantic life is with the kids and schedule, but we cook at home at least 3 days a week and often more than that.

5. gene

gene Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Having had a heart attack at a very young age (in my late 20s), I only have a few guidelines I follow when it comes to diet. I tend to keep up on a lot of the latest nutritional research, but don't tend to "go crazy" and only eat "gronola crunchy" stuff. The guidelines I try to follow:

1. Avoid trans fat: It is listed in foods as any of the following: a) partially hydrogenated oil; B) shortening; c) hydrogenated oil (when not specified as fully). Trans fat as been shown to raise LDL while, even worse, lowering HDL (good choelesterol). This stuff really is just horrible for you and there are alternatives that are better in every way.

2. Replace some of your Omega 6 fatty acid intake with Omega 3. (This can be accomplished by cooking and baking olive oil, cooking with or purchasing foods with flax, eating "omega 3 eggs" rather than regular eggs, etc.)

3. Replace refined grains in your diet with whole grains. For example, rather than getting white bread, get whole wheat -- many supermarkets even carry whole wheat rolls, specialty breads, etc. There are even pizza places around here that make pizza with whole wheat dough and there are some excellent whole wheat pastas on the market these days.

4. Avoid refined sugars and HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), when possible. Though take the refined sugar over the corn syrup derivatives.

5. Eat smaller meals and try not to over eat.

Before my heart attack I ate healthier in general, than most people I know. I had two risk factors - one was stress (65-70hr/week work weeks, but I enjoyed what I was doing), and the other was eating too much crap with trans fat (and HFCS) from the work vending machines -- and obviously not enough Omega 3. My LDL was normal, my HDL was borderline low. I was a little overweight, but not overly so - and I did exercise regularly. I didn't take drugs, did not drink much if at all, little family history of heart disease, etc.

I do enjoy eating food, so these days I try to eat better quality food. This includes eating organic foods when possible (certain things can be similarly priced to the non-organic variety if you know how to shop), and when I eat meet (rarely), I try to go for free-range, etc. There is less crap in the free range organic meats, and in general it also has a higher percentage of Omega 3 to Omega 6 than the factor farmed meats.

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife & I started eliminating anything that had partially-hydrogenated oils (or as we call them, PHS ... you guess what the S stands for) back around 2000 after reading 8 Weeks to Optimum Health by Dr. Andrew Weil. One thing we've both noticed is our bodies can no longer handle anything with PHS. If we eat anything that has it, we both get headaches. My wife is more sensitive than I am and can get migraines from the stuff. I end up with a low grade headache and feel sluggish. For the same reasons we avoid anything with MSG in it.

We try to eat as much organic/natural as we possibly can. When it comes to snacks, we only buy things that are all-natural or organic. (OK ... I occasionally cheat at work. And pay for it.) One thing we've noticed is that the mass-market processed packaged foods now taste artificial. A Newman-O (Newman's Organics version of an Oreo) has an honest chocolatey/cocoa taste and you can taste the vanilla in the middle. An Oreo, on the other hand, no longer tastes chocolatey ... it tastes like plastic To me, anyway.

We took extra supplements for a while (E, C, Omega-3, etc), but it the different suggestions got too confusing. Now we each take a multi-vitamin and vitamin D. The only reason we take the D is we have sensitive skin and have to wear sunblock almost all the time.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I reject all the fad diets and supplements. I have bad genes for cholesterol (my grandfather and my uncle died of heart attack at age 55, and my father got angina at 55, though diet and exercise, and eventually a heart bypass operation, kept him alive until a ripe old age.) My cholesterol was bad even when I was doing everything right: a diet fairly low in fats, zero processed fats, lots of fruits and fresh veggies, no meat and only non-fat dairy products, and plenty of exercise (20 miles per week of jogging). Now I take Lipitor, 5 mg/day (half the usual dose).

But I've become lax in my diet and am not as healthy as when I was eating zero refined sugars, which, as a side-effect, eliminated virtually all junk foods from my diet.

I've been gaining weight over the past few years. I've been to a health spa several times, where I lose weight, but then I gain it back afterwards.

As far as fad diets, I firmly believe that weight loss is only and entirely a simple equation of calories in vs calories out: how much you eat and how much you exercise. Plus exercise has additional benefits besides burning calories. I exercise regularly, so I just need to eat less. But self-control is a problem for me. And since I live alone, I have no one to help me control myself.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys realize the time of year your talking about diet, right? LOL! The quick and simple answer is to be a vegetarian or vegan. The stats and all the studies support this type of lifestyle. That being said many can't seem to quite make it there but after 40 years of being a meat and BBQ lover I did it and confess that it is just a matter of sticking with it until your tastes change. The solution is to become a good cook so that your tastes/appetite doesn't become bored. I am still tempted and sample my wares when I BBQ for my friends on my homebuilt (see below) BBQ Island.

Evan, the NIH just completed a study on aspartame (Nutrasweet) and have found all the bad hype about it to be untrue. Of course next week they may come out with another saying different, YMMV.

Wildkow

http://www.annecollins.com/vegetarian-diet...th-benefits.htm

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/research

Always marinate your meat or poultry at least 8 hours hours before BBQing because it reduces carcinogens.

Cook at low temps and turn often.
    It is not safe to partially grill and continue cooking later.
    Allow some time for the juices to settle.
    A light coating of cooking oil or cooking spray to the grates will prevent food from sticking. Pam for grilling works best. IMHO
    Never reuse marinating sauces; they may be contaminated with bacteria from the raw food.

Almost completed and ready for the fire and meat!

[attachmentid=5890]

[attachmentid=5891]

Attached Files:

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like daniel, i don't believe in fad diets or supplements. While they may help you lose weight, as soon as you reach your target and go off the diet you'll gain it right back. Rather than pay 10 bucks a meal for Jenny Craig every day for the rest of your life, it's much better to actively change your lifestyle. Find cheap, organic foods that you like, for one, and get in better shape - running and similar activities will help increase your metabolism, which lifting will increase your muscle mass, and muscles burn more energy than fat does. Both running and lifting lead to you burning more energy - not just while working out, but when you're sitting at your desk at work, too.

Now, for what the OP wanted... I may not be old enough for the limits you imposed, but i can definitely tell you that i've noticed HUGE differences. I started really working out and eating healthy senior year in college. I was more alert, in a better mood, had more energy, and in general was happier. Part of this was due to moving out of the dorms and no longer eating at the school's lunch hall (the food there was horrible) - i could finally start making my own decently healthy food. The working out part came from helping one of my fraternity brothers - His family has a fairly extensive history of heart disease and related problems, and a few of us decided to help him get in shape so he could avoid those problems when he's older. over the span of about a year and a half, he went from being called "The belly" in the fraternity to completing his first full marathon.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I have no interest in fads, although I do tend to Rx B complex vits to CAD patients who have awful diets even though the medical evidence has been equivocal.

Culturally, our cooking at home is vegetarian Middle-eastern and Thai/Asian. Lots of Tofu and lentils, lots of rice, multiple portions of veggies and 'salad' most meals. Lucky for us, this is healthy eating, because they are our favorite foods. Our version of 'fast food' out of the house is food prepared at home and brown-bagged. This is particularly true for my kids lunch at school, since school food is unacceptable garbage.

Nods to healthy eating we have acquiesced to are no trans fats, removal of salt from the table and from most cooking (although soy sauce and some of our spices come premade with salt); and despite my children's preference, NO sweetened soda (artificial or otherwise) in the house.

American food habits equate larger, denser, and fatter with better; and expect each food to be either extra salty or extra sweet. We reject these notions entirely.

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Vegetarian here (over 20 years). I have never dieted and I am lax with supplements. Calcium and a multi vitamin are on my "to do" list but it's been six months since I've actually taken them .

I go to the gym for cardio three times per week and typically hike on the weekend. Weights and yoga are on my "to do" list and that's going about as well as my supplements.

So far as diet, I just employ moderation and variation and hope for the best. I cook with healthy, organic oils. Eat tons of veggies and try to incorporate lots of colors. Protien comes from beans and rice or tofu. Oh, and I eat organic ground flax seed daily. I'm hoping this transitions into Omega 3's. It's my only hope since I don't eat fish!

F8L, I'm counting on you to save the planet so you'd better start taking care of yourself!

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 11 2006, 02:38 AM) [snapback]360284[/snapback]</div>
    Being a New Yorker I let my mayor legislate my diet for me :lol:

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I try to stick what what I have come to call the "Caveman Diet."

There are two ways of looking at it:
    1) Evolutionist: Humans evolved eating things they found in nature such as berries, fruits, vegetables, and meats of various kinds. That's what our bodies know how to digest.
    2) Creationist: When God made Adam, he provided all the food that Adam needed. There is no mention in Genesis of Partially Hydrogenated Polysachroid-Glutimide-Sodium-Triglycerite. And of course, one must NEVER eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.

I realize that it's very difficult these days to buy food at your average grocery store and get 100% organic and unadulterated food, but I try. Of course, there's always moderation which shouldn't have to be explained to an intelligent, responsible adult.

When I hear people focusing on things like "how little sugar is in that diet drink," I pay special attention to the fact that they are not focusing on how many man-made chemicals are in that diet drink. They also fail to mention that diet drinks suppress your body's "I'm full" mechanism which causes you to eat more food. Oh sure the diet drink has only a few calories but that extra serving at Big Bob's Buffet House certainly does.

The other thing I hold close to my heart is exercise. 3 - 4 times per month for an hour and a half including cardio and weights and never letting my heart drop below 115 beats per minute.

After all that, it never fails that from time to time someone tells me that I don't need to watch what I eat because I'm so thin. Apparently no one ever bothered to explain to them that the reason some people are thin is that we actively watch what we eat.

14. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't believe in fads, either. I do have a few things I do to stay healthy, though, and at a healthy weight:
    • Limiting the amount of processed ANYTHING in foods (of course, I can't and won't stop drinking Diet Coke until they pry it out of my cold, dead hands)
    • Ensuring I get at least 6-8 servings of fruit and vegetables a day
    • Limiting the amount of red meat in my diet
    • Limiting the amount of cheese in my diet (simply because I can't stop eating it once I start)
    • Limiting the fats from my diet, and using olive oil when fats are needed
    Notice, I don't say that I cut out anything entirely...all things in moderation! I also take a multi-vitamin, B12, and chromium picolinate. That's it.

I also work out 6 days a week. Hope this helps...

15. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I grew up on meat and potatoes. For vegetables I liked only corn and string beans. Bacon, eggs, and a big 16 oz glass of orange juice for breakfasts. Beef, lamb, or ham every sunday with leftovers for sandwiches all week.
    Typical sandwich meal was 3 sandwiches and I was too skinny according to my doctors.

After college the lbs started to increase so I decided to cut back on this by trying to eat some meatless meals.
    Found out I could not handle soy in any form, so had to give that plan up.

So started dieting by cutting back on most meats and limit myself to chicken or turkey mostly.

Today I have stepped up this diet by counting calories with a Palm program: "Diet and Exercise assistant".
    My doctors have also added the following limitations to my diet:

1 meat must be turkey or chicken white meat, skinless. I still eat beef but now it is more like once every month or two.
    2 I must eat fish 2x per week minimum.
    3 I take omega 3 fish capsules daily.
    4 I take extra vitamin E daily.
    5 I am supposed to stop using any salt. I have cut back. Still need it on a couple of things, but now fast food is too salty for me.
    6 I am allowed max of 2 eggs a week with yolks.
    7 I am allowed about 60 grams of carbs per day max! This forces things like Orange Juice not every day and whey I have it it is 1/2 cup max. Sandwich meals are down to 1 sandwich max, and many meals are just salads.
    8 I stay under 2000 calories every day, and try to average under 1600.
    9 Transfats have been banned for me for some years now. I cheat once in a while with a blueberry muffin, but rarely.
    10 Soups make a healthy meal, but it is virtually impossible to find ones I like without soy added. I have located only 2 brands of tuna that don't have soy added! Bread is also hard to find.
    11 I eat whole grains when I have things like bread now, or brown rice instead of white.
    12 I add blueberries to cereal for breakfast most days. Favorite cereal Rasin Bran Crunch.
    13 I try to eat healthy oils like olive oil.
    14 I stilll cheat and eat some ice-cream but look for low fat and low cal.
    15 If I eat any potato that becomes my only carb for the meal.
    16 I have learned to tolerate more vegetables. I now like Broccolii, along with peas, corn and green beans, but corn must be limited due to the carb content.
    17 I am not allowed any alcohol, or sodas with sugar. I do drink diet sodas.

My cholesterol is very bad still but my blood pressure is now controllable with atenolol. Weight is stilll high but lowering slowly.
    Tri-glycerides are down by over 50%

I eat healthiest at home, and when I eat out find little that is good to eat! And too much food. I often take leftovers home for 2 more meals from a typical restaurant meal, and often feel sick from eating too much of it. I can't wait till we get some restaurant foods around here that are trans fat free! My job forces me to eat out too much.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad so many of your are taking your eating habits seriously. So many people in our country don't and it shows up in so many ways. You all deserve a congrats. :)

I'm in full support of things like the Slow Food movement and all its associated benifits. http://www.slowfoodusa.org/change/index.html

SSimon, I'll do what I can. ;)

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i grew up with horrible eating habits which had to change drastically when DH's familial tendency for high cholesterol reared its ugly head.

we dumped out all our boxed meals (rice a roni, etc) and have switched to fresh or fresh frozen veggies, whole grains, fruit for snacks, a few canned things but only the low sodium stuff, minimally processed, and all the meat we eat (when we do eat meat which is fairly rare now) is either chicken or turkey.

DH takes flax oil for his cholesterol, and we both take a multivitamin.

i just try to be conscious of what we're eating. read the ingredients, check out the nutritional values, etc. if we could grow all our own veggies i'd be thrilled, but it's not possible where we are.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 11 2006, 07:31 AM) [snapback]360327[/snapback]</div>
    :) We disagree so often, on so much, that I just wanted to acknowledge a point of agreement. Way to go, Wildkow!

19. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 11 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]360521[/snapback]</div>
    Ha ha, I just had the same thought.

In regard to fad diets, I have to say that it was so satisfying to hear about low-carb diets causing depression because I kept telling people "I have no scientific basis for saying this, but your Atkins diet is no good. You won't be able to sustain it long-term and you'll pay for it too."

I think the mistake people make is in looking for a "Diet!!" Crash diets that take off pounds at the expense of common sense and probably health. What people really need is a "diet," a new and permanent way of eating and living. I guess the idea "eat well and exercise" is too old-fashioned for some people, but it's really just that simple.

My diet:
    Vegetarian, with very rare fish consumption. I also take a mutli-vitamin daily.

My lifestyle:
    Desk job, and lots of hours on the computer doing freelance work... Maybe I need a new profession where I can be on my feet more... but I try to bike to work 4 days/week regardless of weather (excepting heavy snow and ice on the roads), and I work out at the gym 3-4 times per week. Sometimes it feels like a chore, but the endorphin rush makes it worthwhile.

20. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Surprising to find that so many of us are diet conscious! Anyone who has recorded their family history will be aware that the generations born before about 1930 lived much shorter lives on average than those born after about 1930. Many factors have contributed to this but improved diet consciousness may be the main one.

If anyone finds it difficult to go vegetarian they should arrange to have a trip during working hours round their local slaughterhouse. In my younger days I was involved with the management of one and the experience, plus a couple of years working on a dairy farm, is likely to put some people off meat for life - especially if they've seen ritual slaughter taking place as the law allows in this country and presumably in the USA.

On so called organic food, I read recently that far more energy is used to plough the weeds into a field than to use artificial weed killers. 'Organic' food is not only more expensive to buy but in energy-use too.