1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your next tire?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Syclone, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Somebody sent me this in an email today.

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these tires.

This is what great R&D will do, and just think of the impact on existing technology:

A... No more air valves
    A... No more air compressors at gas stations
    A... No more repair kits

[attachmentid=5158]

[attachmentid=5159]

Attached Files:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what the life expectancy of the tires would be. Not so much the wear life, but you'd have to believe that those fins would loose some of their support ability with sun exposure, use, and other things that would fatique them.
    Interesting and progressive indeed.

3. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Looks like one bumpy ride. The alignment folks will make a killing on this one.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Since you didn't give a link: http://www.michelinman.com/difference/rele...e01102005a.html

Lots of advantages. I wonder, though, if the entire wheel will have to be replaced when the tread wears out, or if the tread portion will be replaceable. For me, never having to worry about getting a flat would be worth it.

But it looks like it won't be available for cars very soon. For now it'll be on Segway-type devices and wheelchairs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Sep 25 2006, 07:01 AM) [snapback]324632[/snapback]</div>
    They claim the performance is comparable to that of conventional tires.

5. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Thanks for the link. I don't know about you, but that photo of the tire hitting the curb looks nasty. I assume the MPG's would be more consistent. Looks interesting though.

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I love the see-through effect. I'd try a set, they'd make my futuristic car just that much more futuristic looking. With some ground effects lighting, it'd probably appear to be levitating. Now, if I can just figure out how to switch from blue to red ground effect lights when switching from battery to ICE... Yes, I think I have a plan now for my next mod.

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wait until they try it in snow/slush. My Audi had fairly open wheels that would sometimes pick up a lump of icy snow inside the wheel. Talk about an unbalanced wheel! Felt like the car was about to shake apart. Maybe only useful as a summer tire in this configuration?

- Tom

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Sep 25 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]324661[/snapback]</div>
    I don't see any reason they couldn't make a 'closed' version of the tire...just thin rubber sidewalls to prevent just than kind of thing. I thinking of the stick through the bicycle wheel spokes kind of situation!

9. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 25 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]324662[/snapback]</div>
    I just pictured a car falling over because of a stick in one of the wheels. It gave me a good chuckle.

10. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 25 2006, 08:03 AM) [snapback]324662[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't see it mentioned in the article, but I'm assuming they are only open so people can see what's going on in these demos. If/when they go to market I'd bet they would be 'sealed'.

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Hmmmm... saw this some months back. Verrrrrrrrrry Interesting...

How would you simulate different air pressures.? I run my Prius at 40/38 for fuel economy. Even if you could purchase based on "softness" or some such category, you still couldn't adjust to different conditions.

I do like the advanced thinking.

12. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Sep 25 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]324620[/snapback]</div>
    HMMmmmm......... these could be just the thing for my next get away!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

really hate those spike strips!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: