1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your opinion on these rims - function/style

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by chrisspaulding, May 13, 2008.

1. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi. Will you please give your opinion on these rims?

Enkei performance series EM5 195/55-16

'worth it'? $555 to my door
    for my 08 touring #6

I think they look SO good!!! Not sure of the manufacturer or other rim considerations though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the criteria I would consider is the wheels weight. Try to find something as light as the factory wheel or even lighter. You really do not want a heavy wheel (unknown what the wheel weighs you posted). That is a good looking wheel by the way.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a very heavy wheel, especially for only a 16".

They look great but I would reconsider the purchase. You will end up with around 40lbs of wheel/tire at each corner which is around 8lbs (per wheel) more than the stock setup. Milage will drop by 4+mpg at least IMO.

I saw a drop of between 4-6mpg when I swapped to my Centerline wheels/Kumho tires. My wheels are only 14-15lbs each yet the entire combo ended up weighing 37-38lbs/ea. Needless to say I have the stock wheels/tires on right now. lol

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I couldn't give a red rat's nice person about looks. Give me a durable wheel which promotes good mileage and I am happy.

Tom

5. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    as many has said here, it's all about the WEIGHT of the rim/tire combo. i would suggest you weight the stock rims and tires together and compare the difference. you also want to get a low rolling resistant tire.

even with some stock TOURING edition owners, the mpg is slightly lower than the regular one. with that said and done, "IMMA GONNA GET ME SOME OF THEM TOURING RIMS AND TIRES!"

6. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    whatever.

I'd rather combine function and style!
    It's (flashy style) in nature almost everywhere. Think of the most efficient animal(s). They still have flare!
    Why be boring?

7. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    great point on the weight of the rims. Didn't even consider that.
    TY!

Genoz World, do you have any pics/specs report? The black looks good. If not blue, i wanted black!!

8. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Agreed. However, there will be some compromising along the way. Either way, I wouldn't buy a wheel that is heavier than the stock wheel. That is a compromise I'm not willing to make.

Light ... Inexpensive ... Durable: choose any 2! :eek:

.... Brad

9. lazysheep

lazysheep New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    20 lbs for 16's?! is that thing made of lead?

personally, i would go with motegi traklite's (15x6.5 = 10 lbs), or ssr type c's (16x7.5 = 11 lbs). they may not suit your taste but they're 2 of the lightest wheels around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    those are nice looking rims. Glad you guys mentioned the weight factor.
    Back to the drawing board.
    Maybe powdercoating my touring rims IS the answer...?

11. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    chris spalding - sorry man, no pics. but...............powder coating the stock rims are the way to go, now, NOT knowing a thing about powder coating, here is my question.............does it add weight to the rim????

is it durable? would something as simple as R&Ring the tires cause the coating to come off?

as i said, i know nothing about this process. i did see a black prius on the road with black stock rims and it does look cool. the "anodized blue" looks cool too, but maybe not........

12. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have three questions for you all.....................

#1) what is the weight of the stock 15" rim?
    #2) what is the weight of the stock 16" touring rim?
    #3) what is the weight of the stock goodyear integry's?

THANKS.

13. lazysheep

lazysheep New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    powder coating is very durable - much more so than paint. it can withstand a tire change, but only with some careful prep. your tire guy needs to tape the lip with either painters tape (preferable - easier to remove) or duct tape after breaking the bead. this way, the lip is protected with the old tire is removed and new tire is installed. the paint won't come off, but if the tire is very stiff (not likely since these are 55-60 series tires), it can leave fine scratches on the clearcoat of the paint. this is most noticeable on darker colors (i know from personal experience). so if u find a qualified installer who's careful, there shouldn't be any problems.

i believe the stock 15's weigh 14lbs. dont know about the 16's. u can probably find the weight of the tire by going to tirerack.com

14. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a quote reply from the powdercoat guy for $75 each rim.
    Probably my best bet to stick with the OEM rims, just hate to go for it then not like it -something about the stock touring rims doesn't sit right with me.

What I really want is gloss black rims w/ a chrome lip.
    --I'm waiting to hear back if they can do that for me (the stock touring rims don't have the chrome lip).
    Can you create a shiny chrome look through powdercoating?

Yeah, I'd like to know the weight of the touring 16" rims, and would it improve MPG to buy lighter rims?

15. slvr_phoenix

slvr_phoenix Tinker Gnome

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not completely convinced that going to a new rim makes any difference whatsoever in your MPG. In your performance, yes. In your fuel efficiency ... I doubt it'll be noticeable.

What really makes a difference is changing away from the stock tires. They have no traction. At all. For safety and performance purposes you're better off with just about any new tires. But more traction by definition means more drag, which means lower MPG. Personally, in my '06 I've already had so many traction problems that I've contemplated mailing the stock tires - filled with manure - back to Toyota with a "love" note. I've been looking at Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds for a long time now. The only reason I haven't upgraded yet is because 17x7 Motegi Tracklites are expensive and I've had other priorities. ;)