1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your Price for Your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by New Revelation, Aug 23, 2006.

1. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since I have yet to be a Prius owner, I was curious to know what price you paid for your Prius, and whether it was base model or with options. I am working on shopping around (or trying to at least since I have to deal with an unstable work schedule) at different places and check out the Prius for myself as well as pricing. I pretty much know what I want based on options and such like that, but I know that most of you here probably did not pay MSRP on the car. I don't think you may be able to haggle on these cars, even used (I am aiming for new though).

So if you don't mind sharing, what was your final price of your Prius after the usual TT&L? What was your dealer experience? Was it an online dealer or did you go to the dealership?

I was planning to visit the dealership today but wasnt able to because I got out of work too late (darn trucking) to stop by. I should be able to tomorrow and try to get more info as well as do the test drive. According to this dealer I would need $500 to put down to get my Prius ordered which unfortunately I dont have yet (and next week I gotta pay the rent--always something in the way) but will have pretty soon. Although if I wait longer to order mine I will most likely miss out on the tax credit....that would be a bummer.

A little help for a potential first time car buyer would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    MSRP
    dickered a bit on the service plan since they refused to upgrade my tires.....

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 22 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]308054[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I would venture a guess that a lot of us (myself included) paid MSRP. Of course, I bought mine back in 2004 when wait times could easily be as long as 12 months. To a certain degree, it is still considered rare to hear about a dealer selling a Prius for under MSRP, although some on this board will tell you they found such a deal on their Prius. It's pretty simple: the dealer knows they'll sell the car within the week, and there's a bunch of potential buyers that will gladly pay MSRP or higher.

4. trillium

trillium New Member

We got package #3 plus floor mats, bumper guard, auto-dimming mirror, security, and fabric protection (which apparently is not needed because the fabric is already very stain-resistant; oh well!). We had a very helpful salesperson plus we got $300 off MSRP, so could not be happier with the buying experience. With tax (6.25%), title, and license, it was $25,878. After the $3150 tax credit it will be $22,728.

We put down a $300 refundable deposit when we ordered. The salesperson, who worked in the Internet department, told us that the dealership would not cash the check -- it was only required so that when our car came in someone couldn't walk in off the street and insist on buying it (the dealer could tell them we had a deposit on it). But another dealer tried to get a $250 non-refundable deposit. This is plain thievery since the cars are flying off the lots.

And yet another dealer tried to sell me a package and color that I didn't want (off the lot) for $2000 over MSRP. What a joke.

Definitely shop around, and ask friends who've bought Toyotas what their experience was like. I was lucky enough to have a friend who recommended this dealership, and I believe she even got a referral bonus.

5. hurst

hurst New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 22 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]308054[/snapback]</div>
    I just signed the paperwork and picked it up today.

Base MSRP $21,725
    Option#6 $ 3,830
    Accessory Pkg $329 (Floor Mats, Applique, Cargo Net, First Aid Kit)
    Destination Charge $580

Total MSRP $26,464

I had to make sure I was getting the standard prices. There is too much demand for the car to haggle. I considered myself fortunate to get this basic price. Note: I did not choose the accessory package - it came with the car and was not optional with this dealer.

I also paid $200 for them to locate a vehicle within 3 weeks, since they did not have it in stock at the time.

The dealer added:
    Processing Fee $399
    3% VA Title Tax ~$790
    Dealer's Business License Tax $51.67
    Filing Fee $10
    DMV Fee $39.50

I also purchased some additional services and coverages from the dealer, not listed.

I did a lot of research online, and then went to the dealership. It was a bad experience at first because no one came out to help us, even after we sat in a car. But when my wife complained about the lack of attention, they offered to make it up by giving us a discount in case we decided to still give them our business. (This was before they even knew what kind of car we were getting). They even assigned to us their sales rep with the highest "CSI", who was very honest and not at all pushy. We really liked him. So there is your answer on the MSRP issue - we paid below MSRP only because they blundered and got called on it and offered us a discount to make up for it.

It was a very good discount, too. But it seems they tried hard to make it up by their upselling and last minute offers. For example, the business manager who did the financial paperwork was slick, and slipped in an additional $255 tire warranty without me realizing it at first, leading me to think it was part of the extended warranty. "It's a single package," he assured me. But I would not accept an ambiguous explanation, because it was listed separately on the sales agreement (whereas the warranty was not), and repeated my questions several times in different ways. I finally clearly understood that it cost extra in spite of it being considered "part of the package" of the extended warranty, and had him remove it.

I had to pay a non-refundable deposit of $500 when I placed my order. I know that is risky, but these cars disappear so fast that it is the only way to ensure getting one by Sept. 30 if you are otherwise very busy. I used my credit card.

hurst

6. ryo

ryo New Member

initially i checked out carbuyingtips.com because i was considering a 2007 camry. i figured the prius would be out of my price range. but after reading many posts on priuschat as well as calling some dealerships who were willing (at least on the phone) to sell the car for msrp, i found that i could buy a prius in an affordable package. (#3 or 4) i was excited. still am :)

i'm a first time buyer as well so i researched this for a few weeks now. getting my loan from eloans and just emailing a bunch of dealerships in the area to have them compete for the best price. their lowest price gets my business. learned a lot from this post:

http://priuschat.com/Use-the-power-of-the-...eal-t20151.html

as well as personal messaging some helpful priuschat people. (thank u all so much. seriously, so helpful.)

i'm in the process now of waiting for the offers. i'll update on how it goes! don't let dealerships pressure u into paying for premium prices! even if u get it a little after the tax break, it's better to get it at or below msrp without paying a premium and feeling skeezy. plus u'd still get $1575 deduction after sept. 30 until january or february. not sure about the month.

good luck!

7. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :) :) After checking with every dealer in the SF Bay Area and getting wait 3-6 months, buy at MSRP or above, and be flexible, I bolted. I called Deal and Davie in Susanville and they offered to sell for 400 off MSRP and get me the car in 3 weeks instead of 6 months, no deposit, get me exactly what I wanted, and they did! 3 weeks later I walked out with exactly what I wanted. It took 15 minutes to sign the paperwork. No games no lies. They also got the plates to me in less then 10 days so I can now apply for my HOV lane stickers. Call them if you are in the SF bay area and save yourself the grief that comes with high volume low service dealers. No, I do not work for them, just a very happy buyer. B) :lol: B)
    Package 8, VIP, carpet matts, and first aid kit, rear bumper aplique, Flint Mica green 2006
    -Paul R. Haller-

8. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Paid MSRP + Doc, Tax and License fees, $23,585, base model with no options. I'm very happy with my new car.

9. tacomel

tacomel New Member

We paid straight MSRP for both of ours. Prior to going in to the dealer we went to Toyota.com, selected the options we were getting, and came up with the number. Then we asked the salesman on the phone what the final price was, to confirm that there was no discrepancy between the two. And finally, when we arrived, we confirmed that the sticker listed the options we had purchased, and that the prices matched. One dealer's only add-on was floor mats (Elmhurst) while the other had the cargo net, glass break sensor, floor mats, rear bumper applique, wheel locks, and first aid kit (Fox Lake). There was nothing completely ridiculous, e.g. chromed wheels, that you read about in some horror stories about forced add-ons here.

The only amounts paid in excess of this was a documentation fee (capped by law in Illinois to $57.33; one dealer charged $57.33 and the other charged $57.00), a $10.00 temporary license plate fee from the dealer who could not handle Wisconsin registration and a small electronic title filing fee from the one who could, and of course sales tax (to Wisconsin, not Illinois). There were no taxes or fees to Illinois paid at either dealer, except for the aforementioned temporary license plate fee. Finally, we purchased the extended warranty from each dealer for approximately the same price offered through this forum.

As for deposits and such, we had quite a saga. I won't threadjack here, but instead link to our experiences:

Dealers & Pricing - Buyers in Wisconsin - buy in Illinois!
    Order Tracking - Seaside pearl, #5 and #7, 6/09/06, Chicago area

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We bought a new package #7, which is everything but leather seats. The total with TT&L was $29k plus change, or $500 less than MSRP.

Tom

11. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We put deposits on a 2005 #4 at two dealerships, both were at MSRP. The second dealer offered to do a dealer trade to get the color of our choice. Once that was confirmed we cancelled our order at the first dealership and got a refund on our deposit. Wait time was a little over a month. Of course that was over a year ago.

I don't remember exact numbers. But I do know that the car is worth more than what we owe. Unfortunately, my wife won't let me sell and get a new one. We're going to look into one in a couple of years when her car is a little older.

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got the same package as qbee, but in the better color: Barcelona red! ;)

My dealer was no-nonsense about the whole thing, didn't ONCE try to offer me anything other than the car I wanted at MSRP (which I'm sure still makes them a pretty penny). I put down a refundable $1000 deposit and had the car in 10 days.

I asked about the 7yr/75k extended warranty and they sold it to me for about $400 less than MSRP. That was still more than the deal that's been available here, but I didn't think twice about it because I felt they had been very fair and quick about the process and didn't mind the cost difference.

13. mootsman

mootsman New Member

2006 - pakage #6 - $500 off MSRP but had to take the Toyo Guard BS. First vehicle I've bought in over 20 years that I didn't get for a couple hundred over invoice -- or less. I'm a real outlier because I relish the fight over the deal...bring it on.

14. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I paid MSRP

Go to the official Toyota.com site and build one there with the prices and add ons that you want. This is the price your dealer should be charging. If they quote higher, ask them to please explain why then find another dealer.

15. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    MSRP + tax/title for package 3 comes to $25,000 here in Florida. My dealer doesn't charge any additional fees, and I even got free tint and floormats.

16. BDM

BDM New Member

Just posted my pain free purchase experience in the dealer forum. I got my classic silver Pkg. 5 with floor mats yesterday for around 1200 under MSRP (24500 total before TTL). I'm in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

17. adgo82

adgo82 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BDM @ Aug 23 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]308209[/snapback]</div>
    I got a PKG 6 with floor mats for 24,000. This includes taxes and registration and all fees.

18. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 23 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]308054[/snapback]</div>

Package 4 out the door $25, 898 Included factory floor mats.. Excellent dealership with great salesperson...MSRP

19. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I paid MSRP for my 2006 Black Package #8, which included the carpeted floormats. A lot of people fail to calculate sales tax, which for me was in the ~$2500 range. Total tab for the car including all the DMV fees, taxes, registration, etc was not quite $33K. I had an excellent salesperson (actually there were 2 of them I worked with) and had to give kudos to the dealer, Longo Toyota in El Monte, CA for a job fantastically done. I've referred everyone I know who's in the market for a Toyota to these guys. :D

20. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryo6 @ Aug 23 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]308091[/snapback]</div>
    I was cautioned away from e-loans by the car dealer. Maybe it was a scare tactic, but he said when they get responses from various loan companies, each loan company does a credit check on you (instead of just one upfront). All these credit checks will show up in the future as a credit risk.

Since the dealer's loan wasn't a fantastic bargain, I just put it on my equity line, which is becoming more expensive, but it's one less account to worry about and I know I can pay it off on my own schedule.

BTW, MSRP is pretty standard in Chicago, with a 2-month wait, give or take.