1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your Social Scurity Number can be predicted....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by apriusfan, Jul 6, 2009.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Read it and wonder: Researchers say they can guess your SSN - The Red Tape Chronicles - MSNBC.com

People born after 1988 appear to be the most at risk:

Mods, if this needs to be moved to FHoPol, have at it. I am not trying to start a political fight; I am trying to draw attention to an identity security issue. But the thread may inevitably go political.

1 person likes this.
  2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's been known for a long time that the numbers aren't entirely random, but i didn't know it was this bad. I did know the first 3 were based on state, but to learn that the next two are so easily guessable is a little disturbing. Reducing the odds to 1/1000 makes it almost a trivial problem to solve with a computer. For example, lets say company X's website puts a 1-day ban on your IP address after 3 failed attempts. Well, to correctly guess someone's social security number with those odds, you would only need 333 IP addresses - and it's fairly easy to spoof or illegally obtain that many IP addresses (Do you have any idea how many home PC's are controlled by bot programs?)