1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zaino vs Maguires...who's better and user friendly?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sea-horsea, Oct 18, 2007.

1. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

ok my prius is about 2 months old and I have some minor swirls on it....my 2003 E320 has many swirls and some minor scratches on it....both of my cars are black...and I try to put together a car wash kit for regular wash/protect/maintain and I did some search and came up with these 2 products...so which one is better?
    the have so many products and some are similar and I was just lost by all the recommendation/combinations that they offer in their website....

what I am trying to ask is...which products do you use and whats your routine schedule for your "car wash"?

thanks for all your help and suggestions....and 2 cents are totally welcome too :p

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I can't help with those products, I use CarPlan T-Cut colourfast polish which comes in a range of colours which helps hide minor paint blemishes. I only hand polish. I used it on my blue 1968 Toyota Crown which has original paint and it looks a treat.
    I only hand wash my silver Prius with a quality wash and wax like Turtle Wash and Wax followed by chamois off the water about once or twice a month.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use both!

For neglected paint I start with a clay bar then use Meguires cleaner wax or if there are minor scratches.

Then I follow up with Zaino.

I've used Meguires for a long time then Zaino came out. Some like the look of a wax better but for ease of application and especially removal I much prefer Zaino. I also like the way it looks and the simple fact it seems to last much longer than any wax I've used.

4. jezroj

jezroj New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Meg's without a doubt and their Scratch X product is great on Swirls. You are fortunate enough to live close to their Irvine facilities and you should take advantage of one of their Saturday classes ... FREE!. Go to Meguiars Forums and read up on the classes and swirls.

5. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jezroj @ Oct 18 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]527283[/snapback]</div>
    I was thinking about getting the scratch X but then I tried to find the articles in their forum and most of them didn't really explain the procedures and really "how to apply"....

anyone else?

6. edbso

edbso New Member

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1) No one with a clue would ever claim that there is one "best" wax or sealant. Best at what? Best shine? Best depth? Best durability? Best at hiding swirls? Best at ease of application? There sure as hell isn't one wax or sealant that is the best in all of those categories, and I'm not sure there is even one that's best at more than one. Statements like "XXX is the best" are a sure way of identifying clueless fanboys.

2) It's "Meguiar's"

3) I've never met anyone who thought P21S was even in the same league as Souveran.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hint: never use your cleaning implements in circular patterns.
    Go in straight lines... up and down on the doors, and the long way from the hood over the roof and down the back.

You will always get SOME fine scratching, but if it's in straight lines, it is not that visible, and swirls means the light is ALWAYS hitting some part of the scratches.

I use Zaino. They do have a scratch-cover product. I've not used it, but I love their cleaner, and the polish, and the Clear Sealer.

9. edbso

edbso New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 20 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]528083[/snapback]</div>

What ever floats your boat.

$80 for Sovereign
    $32 for p21s Carnuba

[​IMG]Didn't take me too long to decide[​IMG]

Want to spend some money? Hand apply Victoria waxes. A small amount goes a long way and it also looks wet. Still less expensive than Sovereign.

The wax is applied with the bare hands and a gentle buffing with a cotton towel once the wax has bonded (approximately 1 to 2 minutes wait). It is best to do this out of the reach of harmful direct sun light and airborne contaminants. Special Note: this wax has taken on a life of its own, we are finding more and more people using it on all their vehicles and using multiple coatings to get an unbelievable exotic look. Originally, Concours Wax was developed for use in competitions. This wax has the highest amount of real wax contents used in the industry and is absolutely stunning on black, deep red and darker paintwork.

Just my 2cts

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use Meguiar's.

I also have a dual action polisher.

If the Scratch-X doesn't do it, you can move to Meguiar's #83 with an 8006 pad, polisher at about 5. Remove by hand with a microfiber polishing cloth or Meguiar's #80 with an 8006 pad, pc at about 5. Remove by hand with a microfiber polishing cloth. If you go with teh #83 or #80 you'll want to follow up with Deep Crystal Polish with 8006 Yellow soft buff foam polishing pad at speeds 3-5. Small sections.

To you Scratch-X apply with a foam pad and work vigorously for a minute, then wipe off and spray area with detailer and wipe with microfiber cloth. Do it again if necessary. If three times doesn't do it to your satisfaction, you need #83 or #80 and a dual action polisher. If you don't want to make that kind of investment, you'll have to take it to a detailer.

Meguiar's is in L.A. and offers free classes in detailing your own car on Saturdays. Go to their website and register (free) and check out the Saturday classes. Sign up for one.

11. acdii

acdii Active Member

Dont get the two confused, Zaino is a polish not a wax, you can apply wax on top of Zaino, but by itself wax does not give the same results as a polish. Wax is just a protectant for the paint. Zaino will bond with the paint to help protect it, and the more layers you apply the better the results. They have made it really easy to use now and can apply two or three coats in one day instead of just one. As far as wax itself, I have found Meguires to be very good quality, actually all of their products are good. Zaino now has a real paint polish that will remove scratches and bad swirls and not just cover them up and it works as stated! I have a black Ford Crown Vic Sport and that car is the hardest to get a good shine on until I used the Zaino polish, there were some really bad scrapes along the side from a driveway reflector that I was able to completely remove and now it looks great. Best part was i didnt need a machine to do it.

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Oct 27 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]531333[/snapback]</div>
    Zaino is a sealant, not a polish, despite what Zaino wants to call it. That's all you need to know to know that the rest of the post I began quoting is not worth reading. Anyone that can't make the distinction between a polish and a sealant is not someone whose advice you want to follow.

13. Scafremon

Scafremon Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 27 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]531374[/snapback]</div>
    Silly Sal Zaino - calling his products "Polish" when anyone who has a clue knows they are sealers.

I use Zaino products because I ...well...was looking for a sealant of course!

I bought my black Prius last weekend, and gave it it's first bath today. Did the Dawn soap thing, then the clay bar, Z7 car wash, followed by 2 coats of Z5, and I am just getting ready to remove the Z2 polish...oops..sealant. I'll post pics tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure it is going to look quite good, all shiny and 'sealed'.

Will it look better then if I had used some other product? Who knows.

Was this post worth reading? Probably not.

14. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

I like Meg's too...and Mother's works good too. Don't flame me but what does everyone think about the car polish that came with my 07 that the salesman said is the only polish I should use on this car? I generally don't believe a word a car salesman says. The car since delivery has a real greasy feel to the paint from this polish that has stayed greasy through 3 washes so far as opposed to the super slick feel of a quality wax job. Thank you.

15. Scafremon

Scafremon Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Oct 27 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]531425[/snapback]</div>
    There was a lil sticker on the windshield of my Prius that seemed to imply the car had some type of protecterant on it, but I forget what the sticker said (I tossed it as soon as I got home). It was 'resi' something or other, and had a website, which I was going to check out, thinking I wouldn't forget the name. Ooops.

I beleive that if you wash your car with Dawn liquid soap it will remove whatever wax/polish/'sealant' is on the car, and you can then start from scratch with what products you like.

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scafremon @ Oct 27 2007, 08:25 PM) [snapback]531428[/snapback]</div>
    Dawn will not strip sealant off of your car, as long as you've got a reasonably fresh application. Since you just applied Zaino, go wash it with Dawn, and tell us whether water still beads after you're done. I can tell you that it will. That means it didn't strip off all of the sealant.

17. Scafremon

Scafremon Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 27 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]531429[/snapback]</div>
    Then I guess I don't need to! Thanks!