1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ZVW30 rough engine starts, the companion

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by macman408, Sep 23, 2010.

?
  1. Ran it for less than a minute, then let it sit for less than several hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ran it for less than a minute, then let it sit overnight or longer

31.8%
  3. Ran it for more than a minute but less than five, then let it sit for less than several hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ran it for more than a minute but less than five, then let it sit overnight or longer

9.1%
  5. Ran it for more than five minutes, then let it sit for less than several hours

4.5%
  6. Ran it for more than five minutes, then let it sit overnight or longer

4.5%
  7. Don't remember

9.1%
  8. Never had a rough engine start

40.9%
  9. Other, I'll post my conditions below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I feel that Bob's thread on the frequency of rough engine starts needs a companion poll; whether it's caused by a warm-up cycle that was cut short or not. It seems to me like this is what is most often fingered as the culprit of the rough engine starts, but feel free to post other theories below.

Same rules as his, for ease: ZVW30, 2010 Prius owners only.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was so surprised to have a rough running engine, it was more astonishment than anything else. I figured it would come back only it never did and we've had the car since late May 2009. So I was a little surprised to find the thread going strong nearly 18 months later.

A thread is useful but a poll adds 'structure' and allows us to identify the salient points.

Bob Wilson

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had only one time the engine with a rough start, like working on 3cyl only. My Snow White is with us since March 2010.
    It was overnight a very short "trip" after dinner, with surely less than 5 min working. Probably a bit choky because not reaching good service/nominal temperature

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have had about 6 occurrences over 13 months of ownership, none for the last 6 months or so. Each time has been in the morning after the car was run briefly the evening before.

I don't think it's a problem for me now that I have a good "work around" solution but, being naturally curious, I would like to know the cause.

5. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Otto engines are known for possible misfire problems, Atkinson simulated would not be much different. Having noticed that ocurrence, I confess I did not pay much attention, since it is lightly to happen during start-up first moments.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I voted "Don't Remember", but on further reflection my voted should be changed to choice #1. The car had been backed out of the garage roughly ten minutes earlier, a maneuver that normally takes just a few seconds longer than the cold car can run in electric mode (true EV not available due to temperature), so the ICE fires up just as I clear the garage door.

Before that, the car sat overnight. I cannot recall if the previous day's trip was a full hot commute, or just a repositioning out and back into the garage.

7. Alfalfa

Alfalfa New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the companion poll needs a companion poll regarding temperature. My rough starts (violent shaking (will spill your beer) have occurred in sub-zero (F) temperatures. The shaking persists for several minutes. This phenomena was examined, and filmed, by Toyota engineers at Corwin Toyota in Fargo, ND where more than a dozen 2010 Prius shook violently when started in sub-zero temperatures after sitting for six hours or more. Other ND, MN and Manitoba dealerships reported this problem with new 2010s on their lots. I suppose it's hard to sell a 2010 Prius in cold weather if it shakes violently when started in front of a prospective customer. I have to wonder if it's ethical to sell a car that does this. Probably 90% of the 2010s on the road haven't experienced sub-zero temperatures or, if they have, their cars were in the garage overnight. It doesn't surprise me that many have not experienced this and never will.

1 person likes this.
  8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand. I had my 10 Prius just for a week but I always use true EV for garage/driveway maneuvering with cold engine. I hit EV before the ICE starts and it's good for up to 10 MPH driving.