1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM spare tire install

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hammersmith, May 31, 2023.

1. skyemiles

skyemiles New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    To follow up on this, it does fit within the foam and the tire form, but it has to not go upside down to do so. So the bolt to secure it isn’t quite long enough, but looks like it can be modified. The jack also doesn’t fit in the foam spots.

I just have it padded tightly in the foam for now, until I find a different bolt. But, it’ll largely work.

Justin Prius AWD, GcinFl and Jerry G like this.
  2. fzirpolo

fzirpolo New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Finally got my parts to install the spare in a 2023 Prius LE AWD, and I got it all in this weekend. I decided to just go with what was absolutely necessary and make do with the rest. So I got the wheel disc and tire, the foam pad the wheel sits on and the bolt that holds the tire in place. And since I have an AWD, I got the steel protector bracket that goes over the orange thing, along with the nuts that hold it in place. I was able to trace the foam pad on to the original pieces of styrofoam and I think I did an acceptable job of cutting them. They fit around the tire pretty well, and because they came with the car, I don’t have a problem with using the original pins to hold them in place. In order to get something for the deck to rest on, I hot glued strips of styrofoam on top of the original foam I cut to raise it to the same level as the tire. The deck fits on it perfectly. The all weather mat also fits well except for a wing on each side, but I used them to store some things, so the flaps sit on them and it looks good. I had an old Toyota scissor jack and tools in a bag, and was able to squeeze them in between the tire and the styrofoam strips I glued on. I drove the car around a bit, and so far nothing rattles or moves. The only downside was that I had to raise the deck about 3 inches, so I lost that space in the trunk. Thanks to all who contributed to this group for all the help in identifying the parts I needed!

maxhale4 and Jerry G like this.
  3. CeruleanBlue

CeruleanBlue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I went ahead and ordered parts for my LTD FWD from my local dealership (Anderson in Raleigh-Durham). It's seems good pricing with their 25% April promotion (see below) and I can avoid shipping charges by picking up. AWD will need a couple additional parts not shown here. I believe the Jack Box Set is on backorder and but everything else showed as available.
    upload_2024-4-16_10-43-48.png

Ordered the T145/90D16 donut spare off Amazon.

Also hoping to receive full size 19" Michelin Primacy replacement by end of week for flat I had last week. It's been a learning experience.

GcinFl and Jerry G like this.
  4. Cc103acs

Cc103acs New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I asked my dealer Parts Department to develop an OEM solution for my 2024 Prius Prime with the understanding it would sit on top of the cargo deck. They gave up due to cost and recommended a commercial solution. An independent shop also gave up and recommended Modern Spare. For local driving this would be left in my garage; intended for my rare long jaunts. I still need a tie down solution.

IMG_1698.jpeg An option for a Prius Prime… commercial solution.

#244 Cc103acs, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    otatrant, Yvrdriver and GcinFl like this.
  5. CeruleanBlue

CeruleanBlue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Took delivery of all the needed parts for my LTD Fwd and got the spare wheel-mounted at local tire place. Looks like dealer duplicated the LH deck floor styrofoam piece of my order (47100), so I'm goingto try returning that piece for a credit, which will lower my costs another $90. Anyway, thanks for all the useful instructions here.

IMG_20240425_153343754.jpg

otatrant and Jerry G like this.
  6. NullDev

NullDev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm trying to decide between going for the Modern Spare option or the OEM disk wheel & Falken donut approach. Would you mind weighing your Modern Spare tire/hub? I'm curious how different the weight is. I believe the OEM hub is about 17lbs and I haven't been able to determine the Falken donut weight yet.

7. otatrant

otatrant Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Toyota sells alloy wheel spares too. I bought 42611-0R270 which is a 17x4 +10 alloy dicastal wheel and the package weight for the wheel when it shipped was 15 pounds. I liked the idea of being able to mount a 115/95R17 tire which is less than 5" wide.

There is also an 18"x4" 5x114.3 alloy spare from RAV4 42611-0R280. It costs a couple bucks more new and the narrowest tire I found was 135 mm tread width.

There are more part numbers out there for different manufacturing locations but those are the main two sizes I came across.

8. radsaq

radsaq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Was it ever determined if there's a better option than 09105-47020 for an OEM jack set? Besides the mysterious and >$500 47030 part, that is.

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Back on page 3 I determined

09105-52030 is for the LE or if you've fitted the spare wheel - no bag, just the parts
    09105-47030 is for the XLE/LTD - big bag for everything
    09105-47020 is for the Prime - small bag for the handle and wrench, jack loose

Different configurations for different tray cutouts. If you're doing the spare wheel, get whichever is cheapest - you might end up with an unneeded bag.

Jerry G likes this.
  10. radsaq

radsaq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Sorry, I was referring to the later discussion (page 10 or so) about whether there should be a jack with a slotted head available for the 5th gen.

11. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't think we found any evidence of Toyota providing a slotted-head jack for the G5 - just that nearly flat one. Possible the slotted-head one done for other Toyotas with similar folded pinch welds could work, maybe even better, but it would depend on what's either side of the pinch welds.

I just changed tyres using a basically flat jack with a rubber pad, no problems.

12. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I don't think I want a spare tire. I'd hate to be changing it for one thing, and besides, I have roadside assistance.

I never had a single flat with my Gen 3 for the entire 12 years I had it. I sold it with the original inflator/puncture seal kit untouched. I suppose the puncture seal had congealed by then. I'm not sure I would have trusted that contraption anyhow. It was supposed to pump up the tire while injecting that puncture seal fluid. I found it simpler to carry a pressure can of the stuff, not that I ever used it.

13. Bhampatty

Bhampatty New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e

My concern about not having a spare would be if I had a sidewall blow out. (That's what I always seem to have!) It's my understanding the puncture seal kit won't work on those. I did the OEM spare and am glad I did.

14. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I’ve got a dumb question, would roadside assistance bring you a tire? Or would they take it for repair, I’ve read on some posts dealers having trouble getting tires none of my business. Just curious I guess!

15. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    They would either tow the car on a flatbed to a shop or to your home, that's all. If they cannot get the car into neutral, they'll just drag the tires over the pavement abrading flat spots on all four of them.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Luddite

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Plug-In?

17. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Yes, in fact, but I don't see how that's relevant.

18. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I guess we'll never know.

19. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The dealership thought I was getting run-flat tires, but they had apparently been swapped off the new vehicle. I was a bit unhappy about it at the time, but it turned out not to matter.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Luddite

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was just wondering why you didn’t have the temp spare.