1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR gen. 3 sticking can I ??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bobby515, Apr 18, 2024.

1. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello all.
    cleaned the EGR - EGR cooler...MANIFOLD,, runs alot better, but when i was pushing the egr sping on egr off the car..it seemed to stick even with a good cleaning.
    i seemed to fix it, but have some if's..
    can i take off the egr black rounnd cover and test the spring back action of the EGR,, funny idle once in awhile..

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you say more about just what you were doing then? It sounds like you had the stator (black cover) removed at the time ... otherwise you don't see the spring or have much way to push it ... but then you ask below if you can take the stator off, so it's not quite clear to me what you were doing above.

Yes, you can take the stator off. The two screws holding it can be stubborn, and a simple hand impact driver (easily found at the hardware store, the kind you just hold with counterclockwise pressure in one hand and bop on the end with a hammer in the other) is the easiest way to loosen them. Doesn't take any heroics with the hammer either; just a light bop or three and then the screws spin right out.

You can strip the heads if you try to just muscle them loose with a screwdriver, and then you've got a headache.

If you take the stator off, you can also take the rotor off the valve shaft (it just unscrews) and look inside at the condition of its "ski jump" rotation stop. Sometimes a rut goes through it. If so, it's trashed:

[​IMG]

As for the in/out motion of the valve shaft itself, I cleaned up a used one with some kinda solvent once (which left it very unlubricated), then added some high-temp graphite grease I had lying around meant for gas stove valves. Still seems to be doing the trick.

bobby515 likes this.
  3. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ohhh. So I get remove the cover easy or observe it. See it's operation. If sticking try some hi temp lube on it. Tks. Good idea. I have a feeling I left it dry and it's old ...

4. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Also if you feel it's bad. Is it worth not buying OEM.anyone..?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Somebody posted a photo of a disassembled EGR valve here that didn't look anything like the original inside, and it turned out to be some non-OEM one. It was like they'd built it out of some toy motor that was on hand. Yuck.

bobby515 likes this.
  6. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh sorry read it wrong your reply. I did my first egr cleaning and cooler cleaning. As I pushed in the spring plunger..it did still sometimes. It was very dirty. I soaked it. Now a small hesitation has came back . I am thinking of a fast remove cover ..EGR. and feel the spring action. If sluggish still. I will lube it. It that helps.
    I will plan on a new oem one.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes you can, though the screws are tough to loosen, and prone to strip the heads, so you want to take measures to avoid that.

P0401 code help needed | Page 3 | PriusChat

What's the miles on it btw? And how long have you had it?

9. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    More info. Valve seemed sticky. Enclosed photo of broken round device. Think it's was binding. Putting back on I got the noise of death. Had to remount it a few times. Finally got it seating . The black case. Now some start up noise.. going to replace valve anyway.
    I should have known last month the movement of the spring was not very fluid..

Attached Files:

10. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Also idle rough at startup now.. but no knock of death...think it was binding.
    Sorry 202k 2011

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When I cleaned mine I took the cover off and I just noticed that the thing opened and closed as I turned what is that the stator the magnet whatever it is the valve would move in and out then when I put the pieces back together you can't move it in or out I guess you could turn on the other side but I'm not sure about that I'm beginning to think my stuttering persona is due to a bad EGR valve after looking at some videos it looks like my EGR valve will allow water to pour through it and it looks like it's supposed to be closed when you take it off the car You shouldn't be able to blow through it? I watched the video where the guy put a block off plate where the EGR gold tube bolts up to the EGR customer drove the car around for two days with no knock no funny business. Then the guy remove the EGR valve from the same car with the block off plate and notice that the stopper the thing with the ramp in it I guess was sitting open all the time he could run his pick underneath it and water would pour through it but then he never got around to talking about whether it should be closed at all times or if you take it off the car will it be open like it was last used? So I'm guessing it should be closed anytime I have it off the car in my hand unless I've activated it or taking the state or cover off and turned it? The stutter from EGR fluctuation or whatever is going on is much more civilized than when the fires getting put out by water I've looked with an inspection camera I have no droplets EGR seems to be the next thing to look at.

12. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I ordered a oem online...

13. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think the whole time 9000 miles I put on the car 202k the egr was sticking. Ran horrible. Played with off on has piece broke inside tried running it without cover. Omg knocking .. ok now at take off some vibration. New egr next week . But with black cover off and egr closed and cat running. Absolutely horrible.. can you bypass this till next week?

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Recent purchase or had it since new?

Sounds like head gasket failure and I would focus on that first. It's my (untested, unproven, unsubstantiated) theory that the EGR clogging with carbon is the primary cause of head gasket failure.

But don't think cleaning or replacing EGR components now is going to magically fix the head gasket.

15. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Had 1 year soon. I agree headgasket could be going. No coolant lost . Zero. So if it's bad. It's. Compression loss. I read up on it. I can do it myself.
    My plan . Buy the egr. Valve cause it felt like the valve was sticking. Like bent...even after extensive cleaning. Yes a waste of oem $190.
    This weekend I have all the equipment to put a new cell in my battery. I brought 6 as I am tired of the rebuild guys saying call me when the triangle ️ of death comes on.
    If no go. I will do the borascopre of the pistons.
    It's an old car. Good body good interior.
    Used cars here are 5000 for junk.
    Costs
    $600 parts or so headgasket.
    Egr $200
    Battery $300 parts.
    Misc 500
    About $1600 all in and have a decent car. Even if that brake master cylinder goes out... don't want another person's junk. But 200k is alot of Miles . Had 1 with 308k buddy put 500k on his 17 doing uber.. it's makes no sense. But the covid priced cares here are so hi..
    How's the prices where u are at on cars.
    I put 10,000 miles on this car with no costs . New tires only because I wanted safety. Have the old is garage.
    What do you think based on what I just stated...
    It's a catch 22 we have a newer car

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You have to block the egr at the output of the valve for a definitive diagnostic of a sticking or stuck open egr valve. Which is the most common and perhaps only symptomatic egr system problem. Blocked or clogged will code but the engine will be smooth.

Car Care Nut Egr video with block tube test

With Techstream or other capable bidirectional scanner you can manually step the egr valve open and closed while monitoring Map pressure in Maintenance Mode (continuous idle).

Map pressure will read 4 at idle with closed egr. Incrementing the 110 step egr to 30 will likely stall the engine with noticeable roughness around 15-20 steps. Stalling usually happens before misfires.

The OEM kits with egr valve and gaskets are around $150 plus tax. No shipping if you buy online from a dealer with local pickup.

Updated egr valve 25620-37120 included with kit 04004-58137 IMG_4807.jpeg IMG_4811.jpeg

The $99 aftermarket egr valves use a different mechanism and are known to stick out of the box. Many have JDMSpeed on them and no Toyota part number.

Aftermarket egr valve
    IMG_4698.jpeg

#16 rjparker, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    bobby515 likes this.
  17. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I ordered this yes. Paid $30 xtra same thing.
    My car during acceleration has that same hesitation.. since I got it. I think the member about us correct to.
    Would you guys just plan to do a headgasket next week or doing testing 202k .
    If so parts list.
    Felpro headgasket.
    Can I buy rocket auto headgasket set. And timing chain set and get online felpro gasket for the head.
    I think I will open a headgasket parts topic. I been watching how to do it. The car nut guy us great. Tks

18. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The egr is closing as when I cleaned it . It's definitely closing. Weather it's opening properly is another thing. With that black lid of egr off. Car was running and knocking bad. I am back to the weird start up idle...once running it's great. And has good power
    No coolant loss. Do I guess and replace headgasket. Or test it...when car motor kicks in gas engine. A vibration occurs.

19. bobby515

bobby515 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Could you help me with a parts list.
    Can I order say rock auto timing chain and gears set with head gasket and headbolds and felpro headgasket. Only.
    Plus..?????
    I got all the tools.
    Should I buy a water pump or wait??

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't waste your money on rock auto, they suck! You never really know what you'll get.
    Go to Toyota and get the FULL head gasket kit.