1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04 won't start - red car on MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Daox, Apr 28, 2010.

1. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just have someone see if the brake lights come on when you press with normal pressure. The switch might just need some adjustment.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, any DTC logged by the engine and hybrid vehicle ECUs would be lost.

In the meantime, I second the advice that you check when the brake lights come on. Position the car so that you can see the brake lights in your rear view mirror, then see how hard you have to depress the brake pedal to get the lights to come on.

3. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took the car for a couple drives this weekend, some short some long, no problems at all.

I will check the brake lights. Is the switch adjustable or is this a replacement deal?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The switch position is adjustable. However if you find that the switch operates intermittently, then it should be replaced.

5. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the same thing happened again to my wife yesterday. She drove the car home this time and its sitting in the driveway doing the same thing as before. The reset lasted ~10 days. It is definitely not a brake switch. I pushed very hard on it last night and I got nothing but the dash lit up and red car on the MFD.

Anyone think this could be 12v related? I didn't think it was before but now I'm wondering...

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a little discussed, Toyota diagnostic that consists of an OBD connector and two switched:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/generation-1-prius-discussion/79877-intro-dtc.html#post1116332

It can flash the last two digits of the error codes on the instrument warning lights. Using these two-digit codes, you can look up in the maintenance manual and/or ask online to see if they match known error codes.

Bob Wilson

7. ejlazarus

ejlazarus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a similar proble,m the dealer told mw it as a defective inverter pump. That was replaced todday and all is well. So far so good 61+K miles, 04 silver.