1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1 Prius, 2 Prii???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bgdrewsif, Mar 22, 2006.

1. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, So we all seem to be in agreement that the suingulr of Prius is... 'Prius' but what is the plural of Prius??? I have seen about a half dozen different forms including Priuses, Prius', Prii... etc... So can we all cone to some sort of concensus on the plural form of Prius???? Please? :blink:

2. Emma

Emma New Member

The plural of Prius would certainly not be Prius'. That's possessive.

I read somewhere that Prius is both singular and plural....kind of like buffalo or elk....as in "I saw three elk and two buffalo at the zoo yesterday," you would say "I saw four Prius on my way into work this morning."

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, we're never going to reach agreement. Advocates of "prii" draw the analogy from Latin, but personally I favor English when I am speaking English. While the word Prius may come from Latin, we use it as an English word, and I prefer the English usage. Thus I would consider either Prius or Priuses to be correct plural forms.

However, others will disagree, and we will never reach agreement.

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think the latin would be more correct since the word Prius was taken from latin.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I tend to say "Prii" (pronounced "PrEE-eye"), but for fun I sometimes say "Priuseseseseses." Another way to pronounce "Priuses" would be "PrEE-us-EEz" (rather than "PrEE-us-ez").

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I say both Prii and Priuses...depending on my mood and who I'm talking to. I don't care if either one of them or both of them are wrong though-I don't put that much thought into it. :)

7. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

you mean I'm the only one who lost sleep over this??? :lol:

I use the term Prius for 1 or more.....Prii when I'm being funny.

8. idaten

idaten New Member

Prii would be correct in the nomitive. (As in filius (son) or filii (sons), but that is masculine, and I suspect Prius is neutral).
    Then there is the vocative, genitive, dative, accusative, locative, ablative, if we want to think about the other declensions.

I'm pretty sure it would be "Pri, will you start today?" for the locative.

We need the genitive (of the Prius), the accusative "I drove my Prius" and the dative "for the Prius". Now, if we have a Latin scholar anywhere here, maybe we can solve this.

- rick

9. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes and no... If your Prius possesses something, it would be Prius's. Writing Prius' implies more than one Priu possesses something, which is pretty ridiculous seeing as Priu means nothing to us.

Many people were taught that making a possessive of a word ending in s doesn't take another s. This is patently incorrect, as shown by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Po...rds_ending_in_s or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_genitive

Anyway... I've said either Prii or Priuses. Someone suggested Priora in a thread a few months ago.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :D :D :D :D :D

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You could always use "One Prius....And Another Prius"

For example, if there's three of them together you can say, "See the Prius, next to another Prius. And there's another one next to it." :lol:

What I find harder is...What would a group be? A Battery of Prii? A Hybrid of Prii? I go with Pride of Prii, myself. Cars come in a fleet, but a Fleet of Prii sounds so common. :)

12. yauman

yauman New Member

That's a very strange comment!! You mean that when I use words like focus, radius, catus, virus etc whose pural form is foci, radii, cati, viri respectively, I am not using English? Come on - it's part of the English language that words ending in 'us' take the pural form of 'i" just as it is part of the English language that words ending in "um" takes the pural form of "a" as in stadium - stadia, forum - fora, criterium - criteria.

I think in proper English, the pural for of Prius is Prii but like the word "virus" , where ignorant users mangled it enough, it's been acceptable lately to use "viruses" and so I give in to Priuses. If we were speaking Latin, I think the proper pural form for Prius should be "Priora" - it's norminative femine pural.

13. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well this has become an enlightening debate... although the arguments posed here would indicate Prii to be correct (being pronounced prEE-eye)

14. idaten

idaten New Member

Aargh. I thought I was likely right on the nominative plural for neutral nouns. It may, however, be the case that it is a more rare form of the "u declension", in which case, perhaps, Prius is the plural.

What say we all chip in and by some Jesuit university two of these, and see what the thank you note says?

-- rick

15. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Huh? :blink: :blink: :blink:

16. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    We've had this discussion before. The plural of the Latin word "prius" is not "prii", it's "priora".

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As another poster suggested, doesn't the Latin plural depend on the declension in the context in which it is used? I.e., to a Prius, of a Prius, by a Prius, etc., etc., etc., not to mention which gender you choose to apply to it. Since English does not have declensions, we are modifying all the Latin nouns we use, even when we imagine we are using the Latin plural.

To yauman: English is inconsistent. Some English words from Latin use the "i" plural, some don't, and others have multiple correct forms. But Prius isn't even a noun in Latin, it's a verb that Toyota has decided to use as a noun.

Maybe we should use the Japanese plural. Whatever that is.

18. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    After checking out 3 English style books, I'm gonna use "Priuses", because 1) it's a proper noun, and 2) it ends in an "s".

Latin is a dead language. Move on. :D

Similarly, it should be "the Prius's wiper blades" when using the possessive because of the "-s" ending plus being a proper noun.

19. spindoc

spindoc New Member

But if fourth declension, "Prius' would be the plural as well as the singular; only if second declension would it be "Prii." Prii seems unnatural to me and unless you are one of the "in group," it would not likely be recognized or used comfortably.

I have no problem with "Priuses," frankly, which is clearly correct English. No. Priuses is fine with me; but what do we call a GROUP of priuses? A gaggle, a herd? A "confluence," perhaps? A "transport?" :mellow:

Someone suggested "pride," and I like that. "There goes a pride of Priuses."

Spindoc

20. jeneric

jeneric New Member