1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I purchased my 2004 on 3/8/2004.
    I just hit 100K this morning (4/25/07).

Two complaints...
    1. I would like to be able to adjust the air conditioner temperature without having to turn the fan on. I miss those old mechanical temperature sliders.
    2. The odometer needs commas. I can't read my miles now with all those zeros. :rolleyes:

I've pumped 1,945 gallons of gas into this car, but have saved 1,615 gallons (7,435 gallons saved compared to driving my truck to work). That works out to $3,770 in saved gas money compared to my previous car. make that $18,000 if I was commuting in my truck. Who says a hybrid can't pay for itself?

I replaced the OEM tires with Michelin hydroedges (after making the change I wish I had done it sooner rather than being cheap and making the oems last as long as I could - the hydroedges are the best tires I've ever had).

Other than the 3 items in the list below, I have only needed routine maintenance - oil, filters, wiper blades, two tailight bulbs.

1. Console armrest fabric came loose on the front edge after a few months. I glued it back in with silicone sealant. still looks like new today.

2. The plastic retaining tabs for the springs on the upper glove box lid broke off. I replaced the tabs with a couple of screws and washers.

3. On an overnight trip, I hit a coyote on a 70 mph interstate. It mangled the front bumper pretty good. $2,500 in repairs.

That is my complete repair list. No other car I have ever owned has had so few repairs. (Since I had the screws and washers and silicone sealant laying around the house, and hitting the coyote doesn't count because that wasn't the car's fault, I figure my total repair bill for 100,000 miles is $0.00). And that includes the handfull of oil plug crush washers I got free from the dealer.

This car is the best car I have ever owned - by far.

Tiffany likes this.
  2. GZ1

GZ1 New Member

New user today. My 2001 Prius has 137,000 miles. I purchased the car in 2001 off of a dealers lot in Northern NJ. Car had 5,000 miles on it. Love it/hate it relationship. Early on, replaced tires (5th set) and windsheild (5th windsheild) too many times. Too many recalls over the years. Glad it came with 100k, 8 yr warranty for the Hybrid system. Wouild I do it all over again, YES , even with the negatives

3. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 Package #4
    Lifetime Gallons = 2352.163
    Lifetime Miles = 106675.0
    Life MPG = 45.4
    Best Short Run = 179.9 Miles, 1.607 gallons, 111.9 MPG (learning to Hypermile)
    Best full tank = 566.1 Miles, 8.307 gallons, 68.1 MPG
    Worst tank ever = 291.1 Miles, 11.301 Gallons, 25.8 MPG (really bad stor, 50+mph head winds, and lots of rain)

I do all freeway miles (except for a few rare tanks) and there is generally an average 10-15 mph wind coming off lake michigan to suck my gas mileage down.

Emergency supplies (stored in the back) include: 1 oil filter, 5 quarts of oil, 1 gallon window washer fliud, 1 quart of brake fluid, 1 quart of power steering fluid, 1 gallon antifreeze, 1 power outlet powered compressor, 1 emergency battery regenerator, 2 emergency triangle reflectors, chains (in winter), a shovel (in winter), a full size spare tire in addition to the dumby, 25' extra heavy duty jumper cables, extra wiper blades, a blanket, a pillow, 2 changes of clothes (since I travel so much), a first aid kit, a tool kit, water proof gloves, mechanics gloves, and more which I can't think of right now.

MOD's I done include: BT Tech plate, Coastal's EV switch, Coastal's auto door lock, sirius satelite radio, replaced factory fogs for DRL, added REAL fog lights (100w), interior lighting switched to LED, MFD got a hood for X-mas, Blackberry has a stand to rest in, autolaptoplinkinc stand attached to passenger side to hold Dell Inspiron E1705 17" screen which runs DeLorme Streets 2007 and TOPO 6, converted front power outlet to always hot, inverter in the front powers a strip for the laptop, phone charger, bluetooth headset charger, and bluetooth gps by earthmate charger, center console power outlet runs a small refrigerator behind the passenger seat, upgrade rear wiper to sigma 20", upgraded all wipers to bosch icon, installed a bra, added a 12" bass tube, and more which I can't think of right now.

What I would change?
    - The prius has a huge nose that attracts bugs, rocks, and rock salt (welcome to MI) and I bought the bra hoping to deter that...it didn't work. This fall I am going to have the hood repaired (some pretty big rocks with all the construction around here) and then have Venture Shield installed. Hope that does the trick.
    - The seats don't hold up well to wear and tear. They don't have much support, and the upholstery is not that wear resistance (as compared to a mitsubishi and a honda that both saw 250k+miles). I hate leather, so it looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and get replacements. I am just not willing to afford Recaros. We'll see what's available when I wear these out.
    - Wish this car had a sunroof option.
    - The seats don't move far enough back either...that's irritating, makes me wonder what they felt the average size person was that would be driving this car....very frustrating at times.
    - Painted plastic...nuf said.
    - Wish they had a mini-van hybrid, my wife would drive it in a heartbeat.
    - More to come later

Overall impression - Wonderful little car, and it confirms, for me, the reason Toyota is the No. #1 automaker in the world now. Every car I drive could use some improvements, but out of all the cars I have driven, this one has made me the happiest and has the fewest complaints from me.

4. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    100,000 miles as of yesterday. My gas mileage has improved over the last year... I'm not sure if it's something about the car, or that I've finally figured out how to drive it.
    I'm on my second set of tires. Replaced the OEM's at around 30,000 miles with Hydroedges. They've still got tread and I'll replace them when the rainy season starts. I had the front shocks (struts) replaced around 10,000 miles ago as one of them had failed. Other than that, the car has a few rattles around the dash, a few chips in the windshield, and I haven't gotten around to gluing the fabric back down on the center armrest.

I do wish the car was smaller. I miss my Tercel. On the other hand, I could not have hauled a 50 gallon water heater in the Tercel.
    The backup lights are close to worthless. I think they're mounted too high. My driveway is twisty and relatively steep. I guess I could mount a light under the bumper, but I'm lazy.
    I have learned a new way of driving since I got this car. I rarely drive fast anymore. I stay in the right lane and enjoy the scenery.

I could go on for pages, but I won't. I am very glad that I bought this car, I'm also grateful to Danny, efusco, galaxee, Frank, john1701a, daniel, and all of the people who post helpful information here at PriusChat.

Happy motoring,

David

5. sarian

sarian New Member

i hit 100,000 miles 2001 prius aprox 2 months ago my prii ran great up until 3 days ago aprox. 113,000 suddenly no warning whatsover car lost most of its acceleration with the check engine light on and problem screen highlighting the car icon with !, the car seems to function fairly normally. aside from slower accelartion but error is persistant p3191 battery "charges and discharges rapidy with little to no use, but no hybrid icon illuminated no main battery icon illuminated and no error codes other than p3191 however suddenly it started throwing the brake light on the dash? dealership support around my area is nill and god bless the fools if its not from the eightys its too high tech for them. when i called to enquire as to the meaning of the code i spoke with service dept the response they gave me was i dont know and i cant find out until monday. frustating to say the least this is my ownly mode of transport and my lifeline i work 75 miles from home and of course if i cant get to work i cant pay to fix the beast i love my car and it has preformed flawlessly up to this point. any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreacietd otherwise happy motoring to you all

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  7. mrbazooka

mrbazooka New Member

Traded 2001 Prius with 106k miles July, 2006. 2006 Prius has 32K+ miles.

8. sarian

sarian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sarian @ Aug 26 2007, 04:32 AM) [snapback]502284[/snapback]</div>

UPDATE! Toyota of course stood behind their product, took me and the dealership aprox 5 hours to get ahold of a case manager(not bad they have a full buissness day before they have to call you back) from corporate it took him aprox 10 minuts to get me approved for a full battery replacment, having them put new brakes new tran. fluid, oil change, air fillter cabin and engine, pretty much the whole nine Yards i must say that my experience with toyota has always been good but i went to a new dealership this time, closest one to where i was stranded and the experience was 10x better thanks Fayetville Toyota for one of the bes out of warranty warranty repairs. to all of you happy mottering and good luck even though my car is out of comission for 4 more days due to shipping delays this has been a positive experience and i cannot wait to get the customer satisfaction survey.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Good for you Sarian. Please also consider writing 'the happy letter' to Toyota Customer Experience Center, copied to the (good) local shop and your regional service manager. That little Karma pay-back may help out the next Prius that needs help.

10. zippyprius

zippyprius New Member

Just passed 100K on our 02 and still running very strong. Mostly to/from work and an annual vacation around the country.

We're traveling from Denver to Minnesota and some of Canada in a few weeks, so I'm debating what (if any) 100K service I should have done before we leave. We've done all the required maintenance through about 40K, then just oil changes and tire rotation every 5K and the air filter every 10K since. Nothing else. I've read through the posts and some say the CVT fluid should be changed at 60K, some say 100K, and apparently Toyota says never. The antifreeze is still bright pink on both sides (engine and inverter).

Also, I've seen mention of 3.5 qt. oil changes. We've always put in approx. 4 qt. without a single problem, so what's the story on that?

Thanks!

11. LOWRCO2

LOWRCO2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 6 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]400817[/snapback]</div>

I just bought a 2008 #2, get it delivered next week...Anywho,the dealer has a Prius shuttle for customers who need rides and such while waiting for their car to be serviced. It has 213,000 miles on it! That car runs all day everyday! Being the pessimist I am, I said "well how much money did you have to put into it to keep it alive?" Supposedly, they have done nothing to it! I think it's a 2002 if I remember correctly.

12. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    We just hit 160,000 kms (100,000 miles) on our 2001 Prius here in Japan. For Japan, this is considered very high mileage - you don't see too many cars here with over 100,000 kms no matter how old. Come to think of it - you don't see many old cars here at all!

We have decided to keep it - its been trouble free except for a wheel alignment problem we had a few months ago (went through 2 sets of front tires in 6,000 kms). But the dealer finally admitted the problem was theirs and we are now set with new tires and the wheels properly aligned and they covered all of the costs.

While the car was in for the alignment and a regular service check, they gave us a 2008 Allion 1.8 litre sedan. It was very strange driving a 'normal' car again. When we took it back, I explained that if they were trying to sell me a new car, they should not have given me a non-hybrid with a fuel consumption gauge. Our Prius sips fuel at the rate of 24 kms/liter and the Allion was showing 12.3 kms/liter (its a similar sized car).

They told us that the Prius had a clean bill of health - the battery was showing almost a full charge and the car checked out fine.

I thanked them and told them that it helped me decide to keep our Prius for another 2 years and next time they should provide a new Prius as a loaner - I may have bought it. The guy look a little embarrassed and said that they can't use a Prius as a loaner because they are still selling so fast they can't keep up with demand. There were none on the lot and they said its still a 2 month wait to order one.

I'm happy to keep this car for another 2 years - maybe more if it keeps running the way it has been. I commute about 100 kms (about 60 miles - one way) into Tokyo and back 2 or 3 times a week and its been a pleasure to drive with fuel at about $5.00/gallon and climbing.

We are thinking of trading our Mitsubishi Delica diesel van (gets about the same MPG as the Allion) in for an Estima Hybrid van and will start looking for a used one in the next couple of weeks.

13. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p626808 @ Apr 23 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]428266[/snapback]</div>
    125K and still going... :D :D

Scott

14. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 23 2007, 07:53 AM) [snapback]428311[/snapback]</div>
    Ha, I've owned my 2007 for 11 months and 1 day, and I've already put on almost 27K miles. And you've barely hit 20K. I'll be joining the 100K club in another 3-4 years, guaranteed. Unless I end up buying another Prius in 09 or 10 and giving this one to my future spouse.

One of the crappy things about living in Southern California - the need to drive everywhere and no decent public transportation system (thanks GM for helping to kill off the Pacific Electric).

Paul

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pkhoury @ Nov 5 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]535295[/snapback]</div>
    If you want the marriage to succeed, your future spouse should be driving the new car.

B)

16. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 6 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]535686[/snapback]</div>
    She's flexible - I doubt she'll care. Although I must say, I would rather keep my car so I can continue to use the carpool lane. :D

17. abigail

abigail New Member

Just got to 100,600 miles a few days ago.. BUT.... My Check engine light just came on!!! I am hopeing... that it is just a automatic light that turns on at 100,000miles to make you give it a check up! I hope!..

I mean it is driving fine right now... Anyone else experience this... I really don't want it to be an actual problem.. :(

18. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    127K and counting..

89K on my hydroedges.. should be able to get another 20K out of them.. very impressed..

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p626808 @ Nov 16 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]540686[/snapback]</div>
    Nice...my hydroedges have a bit over 43k and look great...compared to the Integrities at 26k esp. Nice job on the miles too.

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 16 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]540691[/snapback]</div>
    Evan,

I managed to get 44.5k on my Integrities, and 55k on my Michelin MXV4+ (They could have gone 60k, but snow approaches). Now riding on new Nokian WRs as "MakesMeLookSmart" is at 101.3k miles.

JeffD