1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 battery/computer problem with error codes

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by sunrise, Oct 24, 2009.

1. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping to run this one by you folk for feedback.

After spending about a week of checking, the dealer has told me that my 2001 Prius (as per the thread http://priuschat.com/forums/generation-1-prius-discussion/69028-2001-prius-major-eeeek-symptoms.html ) needs to have battery, computer and battery cables replaced:

HV Recycle Battery (G9520-47050)
    Battery Computer ASSY (89890-47050)
    Main Battery Cable NO.2 (G92420-47040)
    Main Battery Cable (G92420-47040)

The person translating for me (I'm in Japan) said they found that the connector/cable was burned as 'it seems to have overheated'.
    I then asked if the issue is with the cable/connector, how would they know if the battery and computer need replacing as well without first replacing the cable. They told the translator that: this cable connects the computer and the battery, and it is tied with both as one so everything needs to be replaced this time.

Do those of you in the know agree with that?

Here are the error codes (translated from Japanese so maybe not what you're used to in English):
    - Battery P3030 Disconnection between battery ECU
    P3006 △SOC Large
    - (HV) Hybrid P3000 HV battery Error
    - ABS VSC C1259 HV related regeneration error

Still need to decide if it's worthwhile going thru with the repair. The labor fee is quite cheap, around the equivalent of US$200, so if I can get used parts that are in usable/trustworthy condition it would be worth it. This dealers' quote for the battery is about 135,000 yen (I guess that's around US$1500?), plus the same again for the computer, so the total is high. If I can cut those costs that would be great, I wonder how much a reconditioned computer would cost (assuming it's possible to get something reliable). I guess I'd have to get a Japanese one, not sure if it's possible for me to buy one from overseas if it's in English (though personally I'd prefer English, just not sure if it's possible to install one in a Japanese domestic model).

I might also consider getting a new battery, (with a used computer) since it's a lot 'cheaper' than originally quoted from the first dealer and might be more reliable than something reconditioned.

Any suggestions/advice here?

Anyone know how the cable could have burned out? Could it have been from attaching the new 12V battery? That's when things started to go crazy, though perhaps it had been related somehow to the older low 12v battery and the error I had gotten from that before I changed it.

I'm assuming that if the main battery is caput one usually doesn't have to change the computer as well, but this case is different.

Thanks!

Julianne

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Julianne,

The two cables in question connect the traction battery modules to the system main relays (SMR). The purpose of the SMRs is to switch the positive and negative sides of the battery. The relays are located within the battery case along with the 38 modules and the battery ECU.

Usually the battery ECU does not have to be replaced when the traction battery is replaced. For example, when the battery on my 2001 was replaced, the Toyota dealer tech moved the battery ECU and the system main relays from the old battery's enclosure to the new battery's enclosure.

However, the fact that the cables were apparently damaged implies some sort of short within the battery case. If you had a chance to view the old cables maybe you could see what was happening and why they were damaged. This has no relationship to your replacing the 12V battery which is located elsewhere.

If the cables were damaged then it is possible that the battery ECU might have also been damaged, due to its physical proximity. Again, your visual inspection would be the best way to determine the situation.

In any event I suppose the question is whether you want to spend > US$3K to get your car fixed. Also, it would be interesting and potentially entertaining for you to request to see the car and the opened battery case; and let us know the response to your request. (I am wondering how many Japanese women would make a similar request.) If this visit should happen please bring a good digital camera and take some photos.

If you can buy used parts in Japan, I would expect the battery ECU to come with the traction battery since both are in the same metal case. That is frequently how used batteries are sold in the US.

I note that the battery offered to you is explicitly a "recycle" battery. What warranty is associated with that? $1,500 seems pretty high for a recycled battery since the US$ list price is $2,299 for a new battery (not incl labor.) You can buy it for a discounted price of $1,747 plus shipping. Warranty would be one year, same as for any Toyota part sold in the US. Look up G9510-47020 on the following website of a Houston Toyota dealer.
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=213747

According to my data sources, the part number for a US NHW11 battery ECU is either 89890-47030 or 89890-47060. Since you listed a different part number it could be that the Japanese battery ECU is different so that it can interface with the Japanese engine ECU and hybrid vehicle ECU. The engine ECU is different between NA and Japan due to the presence of the fuel tank bladder in NA and the associated sensors that report incorrect operation or leakage.

3. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much, Patrick for such a detailed reply!

I showed it to a friend more versed in Japanese and cars than I. He's wondering if one of the cells that make up the main battery died/corroded and perhaps short circuited the whole battery pack which then caused the damage to the main battery connector cable. His advice was to try and replace the battery and see if it works with the old computer, just in case it's not damaged, and try and get a used one i that doesn't work. (as long as such a thing doesn't risk damaging the battery of course).

We both think that 'recycle battery' might be an error in translation from the person who translated the quote, but I will check that.

I'm also going to try and get more info about whether the dealer knows for sure that the computer is damaged, or if it's just a safety thing that they automatically do - however the error codes point to damage of course.

Yes, definitely got to keep considering all the costs too.

I'm still travelling for another few weeks, so no photos likely at this point.

Anyway, many thanks again, Patrick. Your responses have been really helpful and appreciated. I'll keep you posted, even if there's nothing new to tell until after I get back.

Julianne

4. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally an update.

I haven't been to where the car is but the dealer took some photos to show the damage, so I'm uploading them here FYI, since you (Patrick) were interested. Also, that battery quote is definitely for a new battery, so compared to the US it's quite cheap.

The search for parts in Japan has been quite frustrating so far (partly cos I have to get other people to do it due to the language), doesn't seem to be like western countries where those parts are more available. At any rate a new battery here is cheaper than a reconditioned one in the US, so it's probably the way to go. I wish I could find a source for reconditioned ones here, but I guess they may not exist.
    That being said I'm still hoping to find a used computer battery. At the moment it seems the best chance is to call dealers who are selling other prius parts on yahoo auctions (the Japanese equivalent for ebay here) and see if they happen to have those parts or can get them.

I asked the dealer if it's possible to use a battery ECU from overseas, and he said yes but the part number had to be the same, so, according to your post above, this means probably not - since you had posted different part numbers for the US part. I wonder how different the US/J parts might be and if they might work anyway... though from what you say it sounds like other parts have different interfacing and/or sizes so I guess that's a no go.

Anyway, I'm hoping a wreck will show up somewhere soon with a nice in-tact battery ECU.

cheers
    Julianne

Attached Files:

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Julianne,

Thanks for the update and photos. Seems reasonable to replace the entire battery including the ECU and cables.

It also seems quite reasonable to buy the new battery for US$1,500 and combine with a salvage traction battery ECU if you can locate one locally. I would expect that the ECU in NA vs. Japan has different part numbers for a good reason and would not recommend that you try to use the incorrect part number.

In the US only 53K Classic Prius had been sold, 2001 - 2003 model years. It's not easy to find a salvage battery for that model due to demand, while the price tends to be around US$1K plus shipping. I think this may be a bad investment as the salvage battery is 7-9 years old, who knows how much longer it will last.

1 person likes this.
  6. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have exactly what you need as it came out of an 01 Prius that i fixed myself. Search for Problem car you will find long discussion of my issue. Car was fixed and sold by the way.

I have good subpack battery and the battery ECU for your car if you want to buy and take it apart to fix it yourself. It is quite easy actually. Let me know

Attached Files:

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Her failure looks to be shorting in the connector. We don't know the battery status because the controller electronics are probably ... not good.

Bob Wilson

8. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

tomfreed - thanks for your offer. I have no idea about taking about those parts myself - however I'd be very interested in your battery ECU as long as it's the same part number that I need: 89890-47050. Though I'm not expecting it to be as per Patrick's earlier posts in this thread. Are you able to check the part number?

I think it's wise to take Patrick's advice on not using a part with a different number. At any rate, even if I wanted to try to replace the battery ECU with the same US part but different part number the dealer is extremely unlikely to do the labor and I wouldn't want to touch it myself in case it buggers up (what might wind up being) a brand new main battery, which might kill the battery warranty.

Just hoping I can find a used battery ECU over here. Not like searching for it in the states. In Japan I guess people just toss their cars away when they don't work or buy new parts..... :(

Thanks, Patrick, for your continued help and advice (I just discovered the thanks thingy on this forum too! )

Thanks Bob for chiming in with your comments too.

Julianne

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Julianne,

After you locate a battery ECU, I suggest that you ask your dealer to install the new ECU and cables with the old battery first, to see whether the old battery works or not. Maybe DTC P3006 was caused by the corroded wiring harness connectors.

It might be that if you replace the ECU and cabling, that the car will work fine. Or you may find that the battery still needs to be replaced. Bob also hinted at this in his message above.

10. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh wow, I missed that hint, but then this is still all a bit new for me. Thanks yet again! The hunt is still on.

11. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally someone has located a Japanese language prius forum, and is looking there. One guy there has the parts for an NHW10. Would anyone be able to tell me or point me somewhere I can find out whether the NHW11 Battery Computer ASSY (89890-47050) is compatible in the NHW10, in which case he may have the part I need.
    (They have told us - which you would probably already know - that the actual battery is a different size so NG.)

Thanks!

Julianne

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Julianne,

Since NHW10 was sold only in Japan, there's not much experience with that model here. A few brave owners in UK, Australia and New Zealand bought that model used and then have had to deal with battery issues, the Japanese language display, lack of local Toyota dealer support, etc.

I highly doubt that the NHW11 and NHW10 traction battery computers would be compatible since the battery nominal voltage differs (273.6V for NHW11 vs. 288V for NHW10.)

13. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, I see. thanks again, Patrick.

14. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agreed with you. Looks like the connectors need a good clean up and a manual volt check per subpack. A short is the only way that can fried the battery ecu, no doubt of this:(

15. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    YOu can do it. I will show you how. Let me check the part and get back with you today.

16. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked and it is 89890-47030. Japan uses different battery voltages than the US.

17. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Such a shame about that. But thanks so much anyway, tomfreed! The search is still on, after yet another lead fell through....

18. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys - I got the translator to relay Patrick's question above. He says it's up to me, if I want he'll try it, though he also says that if there was only error code DTC P3006 he'd be more inclined to think the above is possible.

But he did also say that if the current battery is NG he thought there's a chance trying it out might damage the new parts - I assume he means this could include the possibility of damaging the battery ECU.

I wanted to know your opinions on that. Do you think that's a possible risk, thanks!

I'm not sure that he would go as far as measuring the voltage on each cell, though if that's something I can pay a bit extra for him to do then it would be worth it. I have no idea if dealers do that kind of thing though...

In the meantime, yes, the hunt for a used ECU continues. Thought we had one the other day but it fell thru.

thanks,
    Julianne

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Julianne,

A failed battery should not damage the traction battery ECU (assuming an undamaged wiring harness) unless sufficient electrolyte leaked out of the battery modules to physically corrode the ECU. That would be evident via visual inspection.

If a battery fails, this means that one or more of the 38 modules is producing less-than-normal voltage. The traction battery ECU is connected to the 19 module pairs so that it can measure voltage of each pair. A failed battery just means that one or more of the module pairs will register a low voltage.

1 person likes this.
  20. sunrise

sunrise total newbie

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta send you yet another thanks, Patrick for being so patient while educating me :)
    Thank you for that. Sounds like my dealer is simply giving me a disclaimer so that I can't blame him if I choose to go ahead and something goes wrong. I'll pass that info on about the visual inspection. He should certainly know if there is any leaks at all.

I've since found out about yet another possible used ECU part, but the part number is different. It's from a latter 2001 prius, mine is an early 2001 prius. Apparently these two models may be slightly different, but I don't know what that means yet as it's currently unclear to me from the translation whether or not the newer ECU is made by a different company and therefore has a different part number but could still be compatible with my model, or if this newer ECU isn't compatible with my model. There are a couple in stock at any rate.

We told the dealer and he looked up the part number and told us the above and then asked us to find out the full model number of the NHW11 that the newer part is supposed to belong to, he said that then he'd know if it would work with mine, that was a little confusing to me, as it makes it sound like the two 2001 models may not be compatible. Anyway, we're also going to ask if the parts company will give a refund if we get it and send it to the dealer and he finds it's not the right part (apparently he says he'd be able to tell if he sees it), so I'll know more hopefully tomorrow and will report back to the curious up here.

Ah, the mysteries of trying to get used 1G prius parts in Japan!

Julianne