1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 generation 1 prius battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by simsima, Feb 24, 2011.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there anything I should be afraid of when removing the HV battery such as how long I have it out of the car? Is there any sort of time limit working against me?

3. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The modules should hold a charge for several weeks. The ones that don't, i.e. 7V or less, are bad.

1 person likes this.
  4. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For everyone who is going to be on in the next few hours: I'm at the shop taking it apart and i have my camera so I can upload the pics as I work if you need to see something

5. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    do i need to take the battery out or can i test it while its in?

6. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so i tested, there are 3 bad cells, now im wondering how do i remove the cells. does anyone have a link to something that would explain how to remove individual cells?

7. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so I'm cleaning it up. Took the bolts out and the strips, cleaned the corrosion off them, scrapped the corrosion of the cells (the section thats left after taking the bolts and strips off). Should I be doing anything else to get rid of corrosion and/or do anything else before i install the new cells? BTW: all but 3 cells read 8.12V

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The sense wires that attach to the busbars are very delicate. I suggest you use an ohmmeter to verify that all of the wires are good before you reassemble the battery.

If you see electrolyte leaking from a module terminal, it would be good to clean that up so that the electrolyte won't provide a ground fault to the battery case.

1 person likes this.
  9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Were you able to get replacement modules already?

10. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cleaned the modules, can you descibe the sense wires better or send a picture if you can find one? I'm waiting for the replacement modules i bought to get here, they should be here my friday or monday. Is there anything I should worry about because I'm leaving everything disconnected for about a week?

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The sense wires are very thin and attach to one of the orange busbars that electrically connect the 38 modules in series.

There's no problem with leaving everything disconnected. The main concern is that you remember how to put everything back together, including installing the replacement modules with the correct terminal polarity.

1 person likes this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you don't have good instructions already, and you search around for the service bulletin on battery resealing, the procedures are well described there. (I guess they might not go into removing the screws from the module bottoms to change a module out, but that's all that's left after the disassembly they do describe.)

A couple key points:

1. an inch-pound torque wrench when reattaching bus bars, to get the terminal nuts tight enough without overtightening and damaging modules.

2. a few hours wait period with no electrical activity in the battery (sounds like you're already there) before even thinking of loosening the compression bolts that attach the end plate to the battery carrier and to the rods that run across the top. Oddly, the instructions didn't cover why that's important, but electrical activity creates pressure in the modules and they will bulge or burst if the mechanical compression is released, so it's pretty important. For the same reason, make sure all the compression parts are installed and secured before electrical testing on reassembly.

Somewhere Bob Wilson has a photo of what overcharging can do to the battery even with all the compression provisions in place. :eek:

-Chap

1 person likes this.
  13. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Charging these modules is a very interesting process. When the charger detects the negative delta V and shut off, the temperature is already climbing, and continues to climb for about half an hour. As charging nears full, oxygen is produced at the negative electrode, which then passes to the positive electrode and creates heat at recombination. This recombination process takes a while to complete, judging by the continued rise in temperature after removing the charger. If not kept under compression until the temperature falls back down, the oxygen pressure will cause the module to swell.

1 person likes this.
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Great thread, and promising start.

OP: work safe, take your time, and good luck!

15. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. do you know where i can find a free guide? The only ones i've seem are pay only and look like scam websites.
    2. can I charge my own modules? (the ones that are below 7V?) If so, how? I have access to a mechanic garage so i should be able to find the right tools

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  17. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm interesting... I wish I had seen that before, but I've already purchased enough modules (3) to replace the dead ones that I have... but thats good to know for the future

18. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do i need to remove the batteries that have not failed to service them? Is there anything I have to clean that I cannot do while the cells are still in place (albeit it exposed)?

The batteries got to customs yesterday, I doubt they work on the weekend, so I`m expecting to provide the major update on Monday or Tuesday. Say a little prayer for me this weekend :)

19. simsima

simsima New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the delay everyone, the batteries came 4 days late, and my uncles garage has been really busy since they came, so we havent had a chance to put them in yet. will update ASAP

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for keeping us involved :)
    Good Luck!