1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius 200k miles and two questions - general maintenance question and warning light question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Belkorin, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Belkorin

Belkorin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    General Maintenance question: I got my 2001 Prius back in august, and it just hit 200,000 miles a couple weeks ago. Is there any sort of general maintenance that I should have done on it at this mileage (or some mileage that I will be hitting in the not to distant future)?

Warning Light question: Every so often when I start the car, the master-hybrid light comes on along with the red triangle(Error code P3191 if I remember what the guy at autozone told me). After a restart, the car runs fine. After some searching on here, I found the information about the sticky throttle plate, and checked that out. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to move or too dirty, but when I look down in under it there is all kinds of nasty sludge. Could that be causing the trouble, and if so, how did it get there and how do I get it out?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: 2001 Prius 200k miles and two questions - general maintenance question and warning light questio

Yes, it is not helping to have the accumulation of dark gunk in the throttle body interior and on the throttle plate.

How did it get there: The engine's Atkinson cycle allows some exhaust gases to come up into the intake manifold and condense on the throttle body.

How to get it out: Use the minimum necessary amount of throttle body cleaner to spray off the throttle plate and throttle body interior. Don't get the cleaner on the MAF sensor. Rotate the throttle shaft to gain access to the bottom of the throttle plate.

After cleaning off the throttle body, if you still have trouble with P3191 then check your service records to see when the iridium spark plugs (60K mile service intervals) were last changed.

If the spark plugs are good, then you might consider buying a salvage engine ECU with the 47054 part number suffix and installing it, if your current engine ECU has a part number suffix below that number. The engine ECU is hiding behind the glovebox.

The current revision ECU allows more time for the engine to start before logging P3191 (which indicates engine no-start.)

At 200K miles you might consider replacing the transaxle fluid and brake fluid as well as the engine/inverter coolants (30K mile intervals if using red Toyota coolant; 50K mile intervals if using pink Toyota coolant), if this work has not been recently done.

1 person likes this.