1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 prius brake problem. Pedal goes to floor.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by DustinLangston, Dec 27, 2012.

1. DustinLangston

DustinLangston Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2001 Toyota Prius 210xxxm.
    I'm stumped!
    When pressing the brake pedal gently to moderate it goes all the way to the floor leaving about an inch of actual brake which actuates only the rear drum brakes. If I press very hard abruptly it will periodically actuate the front brakes too and slow the car down normally. The abs and brake light are on. No triangle or check engine. Here are the codes I pulled.

C1202
    C1259
    C1213
    C1214

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The fluid is not low. The two soft hoses coming out of the reservoir have a little sticky residue on them and the fluid is a milky grey with a slight skin on the top.

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a leak in the brake system. Dangerous to drive. Get this fixed ASAP and don't drive it until its fixed.

3. DustinLangston

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the reply, I plan on attempting to fix this myself. Do you know of a way to check for leaks?

4. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sounds like a bad master cylinder to me. i would sit in the car put some cardboard under it and hit the brakes hard and hold them, if the pedal goes slowly to the floor. get out and check for leaks under the car, do this twice. if there is no fluid under the car, than I would suspect a bad master cylinder. but first get two or three big bottles of dot 3 brake fluid. and bleed the brakes well. its very easy on these cars because of the brake accumulator pump. someone can turn the car to on not ready and just hold the brake pedal down and you should hear the pump come on. open up the bleeder valve and let the fluid come out. do this up front then try the brakes. if a no go, bleed the back ones, if it still dont work. than i suspect a bad master cylinder.

5. DustinLangston

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you very much. I will give this a try. There is no fluid leaking. Just to clarify (becouse I was told by a local mechanic that bleeding a prius needed specialty tools and was a 4 hour job) I just open the front bleed nipple starting on one side turn the key half way to on not ready then begin pouring fluid while someone else presses the brake then close the nipple before the actuater stops. Repeat process on other side then the rear? Is this correct?
    -Dustin

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not correct and Dustin, you're mechanic is right and I want to stress to you again the pitfalls of messing with brakes. Its comparable to buying a $20 motorcycle helmet to save money. How much is your head worth?

If you do what you outlined above, you will simply let more fluid out of the system (causing more problems). If your pedal goes to the floor, something caused that. There is no way we can troubleshoot it from here. It may not be low on fluid but, there is air in the lines. Changing pads/shoes is one thing but fixing a highly complicated regenerative/anti lock braking system is quite another.

Even if you do figure out some way to bleed the brakes (which I'm sure is possible), you still have the problem of what caused this in the first place. I am a hardcore DIYer but in this case, I would have to recommend the dealer.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few questions:

- Have the car and the brakes been working fine for an extended period prior to this problem occurring?
    - Did anything (like an accident) happen to provoke the problem?
    - DTC C1202 is indicative of low brake fluid level. Exactly where is the brake fluid level compared to the MAX and MIN markings on the brake fluid reservoir?
    - How do you know that there is no fluid leak? Have you inspected the brake actuator assembly on the firewall, the brake lines leading from the actuator to the four wheel cylinders, and removed the wheels and rear brake drums so that you can look at the front calipers and the rear wheel cylinders?

I have itemized the fluid flush procedure below, applicable only to NHW11 (Classic) Prius. Obviously this procedure will not help if there actually exists a failed brake system component. You first need to figure out where the failure is and fix it. If the problem is other than a leaky caliper or wheel cylinder, you will need to seek professional help.

Regarding the fluid flush procedure, first suck out most of the old fluid in the reservoir with a clean dry suction bulb. Don't go overboard to the point where air can enter the system via the reservoir. Then fill with fresh DOT3 fluid.

Typically you would start with the rear wheels first since the brake lines to the rear are longer. You need a helper sitting in the driver's seat. Make the car IG-ON. Have the helper very gently depress the brake pedal a tiny amount. Do not pump the pedal. Then attach a clear vinyl tube to the right rear wheel cylinder valve, crack the valve open, let fluid run down the tube into a glass jar for collection. Close the valve before your helper releases the brake pedal.

Make sure you keep the brake fluid reservoir full of fluid during this process. If you allow air to enter the system then you will need to seek professional help.

Repeat process with the left rear, then move to right front, and finally left front.
    Good luck.

8. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I googled this whenI replaced the right caliper I think it came from Priusonline. and I was told what I wrote above. to have my helper turn the car to on, hold the pedal and the fluid will just come out when i crack open the bleeder and will continue to until it either runs out of fluid or i close the bleeder due to the brake pump. I did this after replacing the caliper by starting with the rear brakes and the car was better stopping. Did I do this wrong?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As long as the you never let the reservoir run out of brake fluid, you didn't do it wrong. But in passing the same instructions along to others we need to be clear what the stakes are: make sure not to ever let it bleed "until it ... runs out of fluid" because if any air gets drawn in at the reservoir, the DIY part of your project is done. The bleeding required if that happens can't officially be done without the Toyota scantool to work all the necessary actuator valves in the necessary sequence.

(In a Gen 1, I think there might be a way to make that happen without the scantool if absolutely necessary; looking at the fluid diagram in the New Car Features Manual and the circuit details in the Wiring Diagram Manual, it looks as though not too many valves need be involved and it might not be too hard to make it work with some temporary wiring. I've never tried it, and I'd hope anybody wanting to try it would obtain and study both manuals first. And only the Gen 1 is that simple; getting air in a Gen 2 or later would be a worse day all around.)

-Chap

10. DustinLangston

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Last night I changed the front pads and bled all four wheels. I also inspected the lines and hoses and found sticky residue on a hose coming off the reservoir. I replaced it as well. When I started the car the brake and ABS light went away and the pedal felt firmer than it ever has. I drove it around the warehouse and it stopped like a dream until I put it in reverse and slowly applied the brakes. The pedal went to the floor and the light came back on. I noticed on the drive home that it would intermittently go from firm to all the way to the floor. If I pressed them abruptly they were fine. The light would go away and turn back on. It seem as if the computer is able to control how much brake I have based on wether it detects a problem or not. Also I intended on changing the rear shoes as well but I couldn't remove the drums because I didn't have the correct size bolt to place in the two holes so I haven't inspected the rear wheel cylinders. Could it possibly be a bad sensor causing the computer scare me in to taking it to the dealership?
    Dustin-

11. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That could be a possibility. Or could you have gotten air in it when you replaced that brake resevoir hose. Could be a possible relay, going out. What I would do is see if there is a shop around with a scanner to get into the prius. You could also try looking up luscious garage and shooting then an email. They are in california. But they specialize in hybrids and may be able to give you an idea as to what it could be. Then up can trouble shoot from there.

Guys, what about the scanguage 2. Can that access his brake system?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it can, I don't think vincent1449p has worked out the correct addresses and encodings yet. But there's always the no-scanner, fallback route: use a jumper wire to connect the TC and CG pins (13 and 4) at the OBD-II connector under the dash, turn the key ON, and watch the blinking ABS light. It will blink out one or more two-digit codes (e.g. blink blink pause blink blink blink would be 23) with a longer pause between codes. When it cycles around and blinks a code you've already written down, you know you've got the list.

Correspondence between these two-digit codes and the five-character codes you'd see on an OBD-II scanner is given in the manual, volume 1 (which is also where to find what the codes mean, anyway).

-Chap

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the parking brake is released and the drum still won't budge off the hub, the bolt needed to thread into the drum to separate it from the hub is an M8x1.25 thread. I needed to do that the first time I had the drums off after buying the car at 125,000, but I've never needed to since.

-Chap

14. DustinLangston

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What relay's and sensor's should I check? As far as taking it to a dealership goes I know a guy certified in toyota hybrid who has worked on and owned a few prius's come over and look at it when it first happend. He used a scantool and said he couldn't figure out what the problem was. He is good friends with the service manager at Toyota in Springfield and called him about my car. The service manager told him they have no idea on these cars and would simply start throwing parts on it until it was fixed. I cant afford for them to just throw parts on it. They also want $95 to "diagnose" it. This is something I'm going to have to figure out myself with the help of this great prius community. Also I found a classis prius in the salvage yard and they want $80 for the master cylinder however the donor car has over 300xxx on it.

15. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    could it possibly be a faulty abs/ brake computer?, see its intermittent, that's what gets me. But it could possibly Be a bad cpu. I had a big diesel truck at the shop I worked at come in and would intermittently just quit, misfir our lose power.Never set codes though. I replaced the ecu. Truck was fine. But this is I prius. I know that. But the truth is, like any car or truck the ecu computers can go out, rare, but it happens. Don't know if this is or case or not.

16. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Maybe try to take it to the dealer or one that knows the prius and have then do a brake fluid exchange, maybe something is stuck from old fluid, maybe somehow there is an air bubble in the system. Could be an abs wheel sensor too

17. Rick atl

Rick atl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Dustin, if it's doing the sinking pedal thing with no external leaks, it's almost always a bad master cylinder.
    Maybe you can get an aftermarket one, looks like Toyota's really proud of theirs. The key is that when you press the pedal hard it's firmer, if it were an external leak that would make it worse. Hope this helps, and good luck.
    (ps, I've replaced maybe 60 or more for the exact same symtom ...mostly Honda's, I'm a new Prius guy). But every one fixed the problem.

18. DustinLangston

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Rick, I did notice that if I hit the brake hard it is fine and if I ease in to them they go to the floor. Also If I clear the codes it works fine until I ease in to them. Does anyone know of a good Toyota/Prius Mechanic in the Springfield MO area?

19. Rick atl

Rick atl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know a tech there, but if you can change the rubber line leading to it and that other stuff you mentioned, you can probably change the MC. It really is nothing to be scared of if you just don't let it go empty during the process. You want to rig a temp reservoir some how and bench-bleed the new MC before installing. Once you have it bled to some degree, try to put it on without loseing too much fluid/ admitting too much air. Then finger+ tighten the lines, and bleed each line at MC a couple of times just like bleeding a caliper (i.e, don't let your helper release the pedal 'til you tighten the line). You may even find that it seems to work ok after final tightening of the lines and stuff at this point, even though proper procedure says bleed the whole system. You'll also get out any remaining nasty /corrosive/ wet fluid if you bleed a couple cans of fluid through it using all 4 corners. The new, clean,dry fluid is your best defense against any more hydraulic issues. Again, the bleeding process may get to shop level if it does get air into it. But that's far from a sure thing. The only things people tend to do wrong here, would be adjust the pushrod to remove slack (bad idea), and use old fluid grandpa had left over. If you decide to do it, best of luck. I'll try to check back and see how it goes, but not too good about going on line after spending all day there at work (computer boy now after retiring from cars... not sure it's a promotion lol).
    And the other thing is, as you've found out, paying somebody for it is no guarantee your diagnosis will be any more accurate than your own, or one like mine... it'll just cost more.