1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Inverter Pump

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by buddy77, Feb 28, 2010.

1. johnd900

johnd900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well I did get the miniVCI up and running; it was quite simple actually. I did not find it reporting the temperatures in the transmission though. I did confirm the P3120 codes though. With the time I've spent I still have the same code coming up and there doesn't appear to be a solution other than that dreaded transmission swap out. Unfortunately I'm lacking the funds to pick a known good transmission. I'm apprehensive to risk my money and time on a used trans that could have the exact same issue that I currently have.

I've decided that I'm calling quits on this little '01 and parting her out. With the main battery selling Saturday I've recouped 2/3 of my investment already. The inverter has been removed and has now been listed. This is definitely not the way I wanted this to go down but I have to move on.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nothing lasts forever. Hopefully the parts will help another NHW11 last a little longer.

Bob Wilson

3. johnd900

johnd900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well another turn in the story... I was contacted about the engine. The gentleman thought it might be too much of a job for him to complete the swap himself. I'm considering buying his '01 NHW11 now. I'll try to get the engine removed from mine before making a final decision. His car appears to be very well taken care of until the connecting rod exited through the block wall. More pondering... :confused:

4. johnd900

johnd900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2.jpg Continuing the dismantling of the poor NHW11... I'm about to list the new inverter pump I bought on eBay but then thought that I'd offer it up to the PriusChat folks first. I'll sell it to you guys for $100 delivered. If interested please private message me. More photos to come soon.

5. Forbidden Era

Forbidden Era New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reviving the dead, this thread had some useful info for me, I thought I'd post back and contribute with information that's useful to you guys in this thread possibly.

I am building an air/water intercooler for a turbo project, to save money I thought I would grab a inverter pump off a Prius. Found a gen1 in my local j/y, the front was already torn apart and took 5min to grab the pump.

Went home, did some testing.. Went to hook it up to my battery to do a test in the car and poof. It blew up. I think I reverse pol'd it. My bad, but who the **** uses black for positive and white for ground? oh yeah, toyota. MY BAD. Oh well.

No other prius's in the yard, damn; on a whim I search for Prius V and C, figured the j/y people wouldn't even care and just click 'prius' for all of them but there was indeed two V's.. both Taxi's

One had the motor/drive gone and no pump. The other one had the pump, and damn they are in a bit of a worse spot on the gen3 to get out. Got it out, and, what the f**k? four terminals? Looks like a better pump though, I was thinking the other wires might just be an internal temperature sensor (hoping as that could've been useful for my application)

Anyhow, doing some digging on Google, I come across this thread and think I'm going to have to wire up a micro just to get this thing to spin right. I don't know if you ever bothered in your tests; seems like you were being careful to not destroy a pump (understandable, especially years ago when they weren't $10 in a j/y) but the wiring diagram shows +12v from relay and gnd, so, giving it that shouldn't do anything bad..

I set up a quick loop and powered it up with a wall wart; seemed to push through coolant just as fast as the gen1 pump did. I cannot 100% confirm at this time the pump was running 100% duty but it definitely appeared to be; it's flowing how I would expect it to and again as the gen1 did.

So in that case, anyone wanting to use a gen3 pump on a gen1, should be able to just ignore the two extra wires and go to town. Of course, do your do diligence, I don't own/drive a hybrid or a prius, would be good to obvioulsy monitor the inverter temp and such if you try this but I don't see why there would be an issue unless it's not actually running at 100% duty without a supplimental signal, I didn't actually measure any flow but I would've noticed if it was much less than expected I believe.

I may end up probing/testing with the other two terminals, especially if I can get a 2nd pump - temperature based duty control of the pump in my application would be great.

Hopefully this helps someone somewhere someday.

6. Forbidden Era

Forbidden Era New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I tried wiring it up in the car today and double checked the service manual. Seems like with the newer pump that black white is ground. Fortunately I tested with low amp fuses.

I would recommend double checking the service manual / wiring diagram for either, I found it on this site. Maybe I messed up with the first pump, but I do automotive wiring for a living.

Fortunately I didn't fry my new pump but I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake by not double checking. A low (2-5a) fuse can help save the pump from reverse polarity. I was running it for a bit today off a 5a fine though. Not sure what the stock rating is.

I'll be doing more testing. It seemed like maybe the pump wanted to turn off after a minute but might have just been my test rig