1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Warning lights and check engine problem

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by shanerm5, Jul 23, 2009.

1. shanerm5

shanerm5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and am hoping some of you can chime in on what you think the problem might be with my 2001 prius.

First off, let me just say that I have driven it about twice in the past month or so. Last night while driving about 3 miles away the warning light came on the with the red triangle popped up on the mfd. Of the three indicators its the one all the way on the right hand side. The check engine light came on as well. After stopping and grabbing a bite, and letting the car take a breather I decided to drive back home. It drove fine and I didn't notice any issues accelerating. It does have 99k miles on it.

I've been reading some similar posts and I don't know if the 12v battery has been changed out because it is actually my girlfriends car. I'm hoping that's all it could be. She had it washed last month and stuck some kind of air freshener in the cigarette lighter port. It doesn't light up when the car is not running but since the car is rarely driven, I'm thinking it might be slowly draining the 12v battery.

Like I said, please chime in! I would rather not take it to the dealership since we are strapped for cash.

Thanks!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

First turn the car on and off three times to see if the indicator goes off. This will reset the display although the error codes will still be in the control computers. But it lets you see if the problem is a transient or permanent error.

Your control computers will keep the error codes. Many of the auto parts stores have scanners and will, for the asking, go out and read the codes. Make a note and then ask Mr. Google what they mean. If still confused, follow-up post here and someone will probably have a more definitive answer. But try Mr. Google first.

There are many things that can cause an error code ranging from sticky throttle plate ($10) to some seriously ugly things ($5,000.) But the error code is the road map so let's start with the facts and data and then go forward.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The 12 volt acc socket is not 'live' when the car is off, so drop that from the list.

Aside from the codes advice above, there are two ways to assess the 12 v battery. One invloves being handy with a voltmeter. The other:

Toyota Prius Controls

about 2/3 way down the page, starting at "diagnostics"

4. mattesk78

mattesk78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2001 prius with same lights on both displays. It had 132k miles. Cycling it 3 or 4 times does not clear the warning lights. After shut down and restart it will drive ok with the warning lights but randomly it will have a high whine and will be unable to go above about 40 mph. Once again you park and turn off and back on and can drive until this happens again. I am assuming that it is sending me into electric mode and not allowing has mode u until the restart. Any ideas on fixes? And maybe this relates to posters issue as well.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whoa.
    Posting on a thread from 2009.
    Gotta be some kind of record.

Your issue is different than the original poster's.
    Your issue is much more serious.

You need to have the error codes read.
    Maybe by a parts store. (Not all of them will do it.)
    So next, have it done either by an independent mechanic that works on hybrids, or the dealer.

You could have a hybrid battery problem, or transaxle problem.

mattesk78 likes this.
  6. mattesk78

mattesk78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank u. I didn't realize it was from 2009 lol

7. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Welcome aboard. Sorry to read your troubles.

Well, if you ever get to southbay, I can hook up the Toyota diagnostic tool and we can pull the readings so you can get a heads up where to go from there. PM me.

Jim