1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 prius won't start CEL but no triangle

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ChrisWaechter, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ChrisWaechter

ChrisWaechter New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My 2001 won't start. When the key is turned, the system starts up and the hybrid system initializes, there are 3 clicks in the dash, and the check engine light stays on, without the engine even turning over. I had a mechanic look at it cursorily and he said it looks like the hybrid system is fine, the signal to start the engine isn't resulting in the engine starting. He said it was probably the starter or a fuse to the starter, but the gen 1 Prius doesn't have a starter, so I don't know that I can trust his diagnosis. The 12v battery is brand new (3 months old) and is an aftermarket deep cycle battery. Also, it has been very cold here. The triangle of death doesn't appear, so I am hoping that it isn't something in the hybrid system. It did this off and on before it stopped starting at all. I was also getting the turtle intermittantly when it was giving me occasional problems. Turning the car off and on a couple times usually made this go away. The car has 154k on it. I am thinking it might be the ignition starter switch, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Also, this is my mother's car(she lives in Arizona). She said that it has been doing this (or something similar to this) since she got the car. She said it usually happened when it was very hot. She also said that it was very intermittant and she was always able to start the car after resetting it with 5 cycles of the key.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The symptoms don't sound good. I know there is an independent Colorado tech who hangs out here. Perhaps he might 'make a house call.'

So let's go over basics:
    • What is the 12V battery voltage - open the trunk and on the left is a felt-cover. You may be able to read the voltage with a VOM through the small opening but it may take using a 'flat' to get some of the plastic pins out. Regardless, we are looking for at least 11.3V on the battery. A bad or weak 12V battery and a lot of things won't work.
    • We need codes from the car. Sad to say, a stock OBD scanner (aka., the cheap-over-the-counter) won't get the really useful ones. Prius aware OBD scanners range from $150 to over $500 and a few Chinese knockoffs. The car has half-a-dozen but three critical control computers. The scanner needs to read out these codes so we can understand why the computers can not start the car.
    • Please scan the "Who should and should NOT buy a 2001-03 Prius" and let's go over how well this car matches your skills and resources. It can be a great education or a royal-pain and money-pit ... it really depends upon how you want to approach the problem.
    GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never seen a bad ignition switch. Does the READY indicator come on? Sounds like it didn't.
    Mechanic who thinks it is starter or starter fuse is just guessing...and ignorant of HSD. You need a good scanner.
    My money is on P3191 & P3101. I see it a lot when cold...especially if someone recently overfilled engine oil.
    Clean out throttle body, clear codes and/or reset 12V battery.
    Too bad you weren't closer to Boulder, I could make a house call but you're about as far away from me as you can be and still be in Colorado.

4. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    could it also be the hybrid battery relay it clicks but maybe its not making contact to send electric to the mg1 to start the car. I would disconnect the 12v battery negative terminal and hold the brake for 30 sec and reconnect it, then try to start it. see what that does and let us know, that will clear all codes.

5. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On most cars to unhook 12V battery the rule is remove the negative terminal. On Prius it's easier to remove the positive feed since you don't need any tools. On Gen1, remove the red plastic terminal cover over the positive terminal, then press the release tab on the big black connector on the heavy black wire and pull it up out of the positive terminal block. Simply press it back until it clicks when done. I've talked people through this procedure who didn't have any tools with them...works great for 12V resets.

6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    really, i didnt know that, hmmm ill have to play with that tomorrow morning. lol grins