1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 technical question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Alund1975, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Alund1975

Alund1975 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having a problem which I can't pin down what it is. When I am driving my 2001 Prius, only after a turn, it seems to get real jumpy and the check engine light will come on during this. I know this is when it comes on because I unplug the starter battery to reset it several times. I've had it put on a computer and it gave a long list of things it could be up to and including replacing the entire gas tank assembly (expensive!!!).

I am wondering if anyone might know what could cause this. I've changed out the gas cap which was one of the things on the list, and I have a charcoal canister I got from the junk yard, but it's a pain to change, so if I don't have to change it, I really would like to not have to if it could be something else. I also put the highest grade of gas in it.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My first thought after reading your thread was the fuel pump. The computer read out of the DTC code also indicates a fuel pump. The fuel pump is located inside the gas tank, thus the reason for changing the entire gas tank.

If you can give the list of DTC codes that would help with listing all of the possibilities.

3. Alund1975

Alund1975 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will post the codes as soon as possible later tonight

4. wa-chiss

wa-chiss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That'd be best. Otherwise we would be blindly guessing. Also, some codes might set with other problems. Like, if the fuel pump was going out, you could get lean codes along with misfires. So you really could weed out the BS codes that come from the symptoms cause by the failure.

5. Alund1975

Alund1975 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, codes are as followed:

P0440
    P0446
    P0441

6. Alund1975

Alund1975 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Changed charcoal filter cilynoid and it's still doing it, doesn't seem to be as bad.

7. wa-chiss

wa-chiss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P0440: Evap emissions control system malfunction
    P0441: Evap emission incorrect purge flow
    P0446: Evap emission vent control system malfunction.

I'd start with P0441. This code is caused by an open in purge line. We see this mostly at the Purge valve. The hose can become disconnected from the valve and would cause this DTC to set. Also, if the hose is disconnected post purge valve, the engine is then essentially sucking in unmetered air which could cause erratic engine behavior. It could also be at the charcoal canister. It'll be the rubber hose that goes from the canister to the metal line that runs under the car to the engine compartment.

P0440 is just a generic DTC saying there's a problem. Don't chase this code unless it's the only DTC set.

P0446 I would say either purge VSV is unplugged or has an internal electrical open/high resistance, or possibly this DTC could be related to P0441 where a hose is disconnected.

Alund1975 likes this.
  8. Alund1975

Alund1975 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He saw a leak on the hose the throttle body, which he then put clamps on both hoses and for some reason, as of right now, it stopped doing it and the check engine light is off and staying off

9. wa-chiss

wa-chiss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A