1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 transmission problem

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by gen1mimsy, Apr 11, 2012.

1. gen1mimsy

gen1mimsy New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I realize this may have been addressed before in previous threads but that was then (2010) and this is now. I began hearing a whining/humming sound just a couple of days ago esp when hitting 45mph and then would notice as I took my foot off of gas. I had hoped it was either tire or bearing related, but Toyota tried for over an hour and finally determined it was transmission related..a new transaxle assy etc would cost total of 6500$. However they said they did not think I had to do anything right now as everything is well lubricated..they even thought it could remain the way it is for a year to two. My Prius has 180,000miles on it. Should I attempt to find a salvage transaxle and risk having it put in? Or should I cut my losses and giver up? :(

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why can't you drive the car as-is, until the transaxle has a more serious problem? At that point you can have a salvage transaxle installed - or tow the car to the salvage yard.