1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 in CT, Hybrid Battery bad, please help with my options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MarkInCT, Apr 28, 2016.

1. MarkInCT

MarkInCT New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Central Connecticut. Looks like the hybrid battery needs to be replaced on my daughter’s 2004 Prius. The car has 170,000 miles on it. We bought it about a year and a half ago. We made the decision to go with a Prius because we thought it would be reliable and have a low cost of ownership.

Earlier in the week, numerous warning lights came on including the Red Triangle and check engine light. She brought it to the closest garage to us, and they said the code that was returned indicated that the hybrid battery needed to be replaced, but to bring it to a Toyota dealer to make sure. Brought it to the local Toyota dealer, and they said that it came back with a large number of codes and that the hybrid battery needed to be replaced.

Now, I need to figure out what is the best path for us. The car is in good condition otherwise. Before I bought the car originally, I looked into the risks and cost of replacing this battery. At the time, I was reading that you didn’t need to worry about buying a new battery for $3500, you could get a reconditioned used battery for $1200 or so. Now, in the last day of researching this (much of it in this forum), the consensus seems to be that these cheaper batteries are an iffy proposition. I’m looking for something to keep this car running for hopefully 3 or 4 more years until she gets out of college and is working. She loves the car and needs it to commute to and from school and to go to her part time job. I guess our options are:

1) Pay $3500 for a new battery installed by Toyota. Since the car is only worth about $4000 with a good battery, this doesn’t seem to make sense.

2) Spend $1500? for a reconditioned battery. If I could find a reliable source for this, I would like to do that, but I’m worried about spending all that money and being in the same position again a year from now.

3) Sell the car as is and try to find another used car for under $5000. I imagine I could maybe get $1000 for it? I hate the hassle and uncertainty of this. Always worried about buying a lemon.

4) Try to find a low cost lease on an inexpensive new car. This would solve the issue of not having on hand cash for a purchase, should give a reliable car for a low monthly price. Long term though, I don’t think this is the smartest choice financially.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with reconditioned batteries? Anyone have any advice? Thanks for any help.

2. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off, get the codes that the dealer pulled. That's the only way to verify what problem(s) exist. If the car is in overall great condition - meaning well maintained and serviced with NO engine / CVT problems and MINIMAL rust, I would go with the NEW Toyota battery. Stay away from rebuilds and swapping out and rebalancing cells.

The Prius is a good reliable car. I am now at 263,000 miles and still going. The rust, however, is beginning to take its toll on the rocker panels and wheel well areas in 2 spots. I never expected it to last this long...

Please post the codes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! check with jdenenberg. he's in ct and got a rebuilt from someone that he's very happy with. another thought is to go with the new toyota battery, (shop around for best price) then, if you decide to sell it, buy a newer prius and swap batteries before selling. all the best!(y)

4. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    It was reliable and had a low cost of ownership when you consider the first 170K miles. A car near its end of design life is likely to experience more problems.

Investigate a Dorman pack at NAPA. You get to kick the can down the road for 3 years for about $1,500.

The most relevant portion is bolded. IIRC, most fleeces I mean leases require something down. A lease is absolutely, positively the most expensive way to buy a car.

Consider a Dorman for $1500 w/3yr warranty. That's $42/month, and you actually have an asset at the end of it.

A new battery will likely outlast the car. Should that prove to be the case, and you decide you really like the prius, you could buy another with a bad battery for the prescribed $1000 and then put your new battery in it.

Also, call around. $3,500 is on the high end. You can likely get closer to $3,000.

5. MarkInCT

MarkInCT New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the information. I will look into the Dorman batteries. How would that warranty work? I'm guessing I would have to pay for shipping and for the installation? I was thinking it would be better to have one company that supplied the batteries and did the installation, but it seems that these kind of places are only in specific parts of the country. Also, interesting comments about if I get a new battery, and the car dies for another reason in a couple of years, that battery would then be very valuable at that point.

6. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I don't know how the Dorman warranty works. Check their website and check with your local parts stores.

Installation is not included. It is something you could easily do if you are reasonably handy and can watch/follow youtube videos.

Looking again at new Toyota... $3000 over 3 years is only $83 a month for 3 years, and you don't have to give it back to the leasing company when done.

7. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you're going to buy a 10 year old car then buy a Corolla.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If this car is for daughter, buy the new battery from Toyota. See if you can get any good will warranty from Toyota corporate. You don't want a car that keeps breaking down in her college years. A new battery should go 10 years and the car will always sell for more money if the next buyer knows the car has a reliable battery in it

SM-N900P ?

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can always call Toyota USA to try to assistance you might get a discount.

But the other thing we just learned yesterday is Toyota has a new cheaper refurbished battery option we assume is all new guts but we don't know for sure. Dealers are only just hearing about his, and is only available in certain states and for certain Gen2 VINs, we hear. We are clueless why it won't be the same fit for all Gen2s.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what about these new toyota rebuilt batteries, are they available in all states?

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't know but it gives an excuse to call Toyota USA and bargain for lower price on batt replace assist. I think I'd first not mention that option, if not successful use that question as next try.

12. lgherb

lgherb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm right behind you with just under 248,000 and will echo that the Prius is a great car. Mine has never been wrecked and I would love to see the car hit the half a million miles mark.

For the OP, you may want to look around and see if you can find someone to come to your location and put in a reconditioned battery in your driveway. I'm guessing you can find a company/mechanic in your area that does that.

13. MarkInCT

MarkInCT New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as trying to get goodwill help from Toyota, should I go through the dealer for that, or as someone stated, call Toyota USA? I suppose I will be at a disadvantage because I am not the original owner and have not been using them for service?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2 years and 20k over? not likely. call toyota and ask, then go from there.

15. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear this happened to you after only a year and a half of ownership. It definitely skews the cost of ownership. Every day I work with customers that are faced with this same dilemma.

If you decide you want to install a battery yourself, I have had batteries shipped to customers across the country and helped them through the install process. It's not for everyone, but it is less expensive than the dealer. The shipping process is easy enough to deal with.

There are scammers out there preying on Prius owners, so be careful. If the deal seems to good to be true, walk away.

I'd be happy to talk through things with you. Feel free to give me a call.

16. MarkInCT

MarkInCT New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought of one additional thing, if I am going to spend a lot of money on a battery, I guess I should try to make sure there are no major other issues with the car. Should I ask the dealer to do that? I guess that's a matter of just discussing with them what they should check? The car is a 2004 with 170,000 miles, what are the things that should be checked? Are there big maintenance items that typically come up around this time? Thanks.

17. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Going to the dealer with your credit card out asking, "Is there anything you think I should fix...?" is a service writer's dream!
    So take whatever they say with a grain of salt.
    Hard for them to really check anything else when the battery is failed.
    Changing fluids for inverter or tansaxle would be good if it has not been done.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA | PriusChat

Usually you should call Toyota USA but sometimes a good dealer can make the case for you. I agree iffy in this case but you are going to shift to the newer rebuilt battery question maybe that is easier do not know. If you see my last post in the above thread I give an 2016 assessment seems like we are getting less goodwill assistance here in 2016 but still worth a shot especially with the new rebuild batt option, if you have time to fiddle...they usually take a few days to decide.

19. MarkInCT

MarkInCT New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Went back to the dealer and asked if there was anything they could do to help, they didn't offer any help. I also called the corporate Toyota number, and they did not offer anything either. The breakdown of the costs of the replacement from them was $2600 for the battery, and six hours to install at $600. It seems like I will be going the Dorman replacement route.

Someone my wife works with suggested to try the replacement of the cells route, buying a pair from ebay, saying he has done it before with his Prius. From the research I've done here, it sounds like that's pretty iffy. I guess what I am thinking right now is, for $50 or $100, I could try it, not much to risk there. I'm not mechanical, so if people say it takes three hours, it would take me six easily. What do you guys think about giving this a try? Is there a particular set of instructions that are regarded here as the best?

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What we always say is best practice is new battery if you can swing it. The rebuild options are shorter term solutions, but many are going that way to save costs. You will find many thread to DIY cells and you can purchase cell balancer in the Shop. Or find someone to do it.

Maybe Toyota realizes a Gen2 permanently fixed today means one less Gen4 sale tomorrow. Some of the battery fixers on PriusChat offer nice price on new batt, but they live in TX!