1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius - Faded Spoiler Paint/Finish

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by thegoldenhand, Aug 25, 2014.

1. thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi! New to the forum with a 2004 Prius package #9 with 149,500 miles. I got a pretty good deal on it considering the recent work the previous owner put in it along with the new hybrid battery that Toyota put in. I had an 07 Camry Hybrid prior to this and was lucky to sell it at a profit. In my search for a replacement commuter car I ended up with this Prius. It's gonna be my daily beater along with my sort of toy/project car. Already had it tinted and detailed over the weekend.

THE FADED SPOILER

One of the things that I am itching to work on is the faded spoiler. It seems the previous owner didn't have a garage to park this at. So now the paint has pretty much faded on the spoiler. What I am debating is whether to repaint that spoiler with the original Tidelands Pearl color OR just spray paint it black which is pretty much how the newer Priuses look like.

Any thoughts?

THE Rude person's BRACE

Oh and I did order the last Rude person's stiffening brace on ebay for like $63 shipped. Hopefully it helps in improving the handling of this car.

THAT CENTER OF ATTENTION CONSOLE COVER

In mine, the console fabric is getting exposed on the long ends. I am wondering if it's an easy fix to just cover that up with new fabric like a piece of leather. I notice the console has a little play as well. I'd lean on it and it kind of wobbles. I already tightened the 2 screws but it's still moving a bit. Hmmmm...

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you rear window is tinted really dark, then you can get away with a black spoiler. If not, I would get a can of duplicolor spray paint and respray and clearcoat the spoiler.

The armrest cover can be reglued using spray adhesive. Take it off and spray on the adhesive......glued back in 15 minutes.

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    a few folks have wrapped the spoiler with black or carbon fiber 3m wrap. looks pretty cool.

the fabric is easy to re-glue, there are 6 screws I think that hold the lid together, you can use weatherstrip adhesive or super glue, and some clothes pins to hold it till it dries. I did wrap the wife's lid with garment leather, that was a pita cause the leather was a bit too thick. but I just re-glued the cloth on my '04 and that was easy. so if you go for leather, make sure its very thin, and you got to stretch it good to keep it from wrinkling at the front and back.

4. thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for your reply. I did 28% tint on the back which is dark. I just don't know it that is dark enough to camouflage the black spoiler. The fronts are 40% which blends a little better with the 28%.

As for the armrest. The fabric is really rough after 10 yrs. I am hoping to improve that by getting leather. I wonder if I can just take the fabric off, put new foam in it and cover it with leather.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the center brace will help some with the wind blowing the car around at high speed. Not much effect on cornering. For that you will need the heaver rear anti-roll bar from a Matrix.

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    yes its not too hard if you get very thin leather. what I used was upholstery weight, you'd want garment leather.