1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius weird noises just purchased

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by abuzar1, Jul 2, 2014.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My uncle just bought this used 2004 Prius for me (with my money) and I'm having some issues.

The car makes some weird noises and I've made a video. Honestly better if you guys just watch the video rather than me try to explain it in writing. Also I think the battery is dying because sometimes the speedo doesn't display and I have to disconnect the battery to get it to come back. The Brake vsc and some other indicator lights also came on. I reset them but they came back in week or so.

Oh and the AC has a leak. When we got it the AC didnt work so I put in some freon it started working but it only lasted a week. This car is full of headaches.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe you should have your uncle buy it......LOL

How many miles on the car? How much did you pay?

1. The odometer not turning on is your combination meter going bad, the warranty is only for 9 years, which you are out of warranty.
    2. The sound from under the hood sounds like the actuator pump, defective/broken.
    3. If the AC is leaking, it's already a bad sign. And even worse, you just added regular Freon to the car to contaminate the system.

I would suggest you get all the DTC codes read so you can figure out what's wrong with the car. Honestly, if you can return it, return it.

3. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is your ABS pump running. It is normal for it to run occasionally especially after applying the brakes. Yours is running way too much and you will need to replace it. This is quite expensive at the dealer. If you find a used pump and install it you can save some coin.

4. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's got 128k miles. I added r134a. I've heard a bad battery can also cause the combination meter to not turn on? I took the battery out to get charged. Autozone scanner (after charging it) said the battery was bad and needed replacement. I have yet to replace it.

I can't return it unfortunately. Got it off craigslist. Is there a problem letting the ABS pump run? Will it eventually cause other issues?

6. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is running because it is losing pressure. There is probably an internal leak in the accumulator. It will get worse and become unsafe unfortunately.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If being able to brake is important to you, then it would be a problem by letting the ABS pump run.

The 12v battery can cause many problems, replace that first and go from there.

8. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is also probably draining your 12v because it runs constantly. I believe it stops after a while if a door or hood is not opened.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay let me replace the bad battery and look up a used pump. I could probably replace it myself, I'll just find a service manual. No point in trying to diagnose different things when the battery is bad I guess.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys the car has been sitting I finally got a new 12V battery. It's stopped making the ABS noise now after shutdown. The combination meter still going out. Red Triangle light came up along with (!) check engine and VSC. Pulled the codes I got these.

P3000 P0a80 P3021 B2799

I mean clearly it seems the battery cells are bad. I'll pull the battery and test the individual cells. I'll replace whichever one is bad. Does that seem like a good plan? Also on the combination meter, if I buy a used one off eBay and replace it will it need to be programmed?

#10 abuzar1, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good plan on the cells, but be prepared to do it every so often.

12. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It will not need to be programmed but it will display the mileage of the donor car. You could also send your old one to Steve at Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana to have it repaired and your mileage would be correct. If you buy a used one it need to come from a 2004-05. Newer ones will work but you will have a TPMs tire light on that wont go away.