1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Toyota Prius, throwing VSC code 34

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MatthewD1215, May 30, 2014.

1. MatthewD1215

MatthewD1215 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello All!,

I am new to this forum but have read many articles posted here. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! So, I have a 2004 Toyota Prius. I recently rotated my own tires, which seems to be where all of my troubles originated from.... After rotating my tires, my car started to make this grinding noise when I would make tight left hand turns. The VSC light also came on. Around this same time, my 12v battery died (this is what initially caused some lights to come on and then left me with only the VSC light remaining). There is a neat trick where you attach a jumper to the 4th and 5th pin (well 1st row, 4th pin and 2nd row, 5th pin) of the 12 pin connector where you would attach a scan gauge. This trick puts the care into a sort of diagnostic mode that will cause the warning lights to flash out the code that triggered your warning lights to illuminate. My care flashed code 34 for the VSC light. On another forum, I saw that this related to the yaw rate sensor. I pretty much made it to that point and got discouraged..... until, I figured I would make sure nothing was rubbing and check the brakes/rotors. I thought it was was the left side so I only checked the left front tire. My girlfriend mentioned that it sounded as though it was coming from the right front tire. After taking that wheel off, FOR SOME REASON?? THE GRINDING STOPPED! I found no problems and nothing seemed to have fallen off, but the grinding stopped! I put the car back into diagnostic mode and the VSC NO LONGER flashed any codes. I reset the light (tapping the brake 8 times in diagnostic mode) and to my relief, the light stayed off..... for a little bit. It came back on the next day with code 34 again. I have no idea what seems to be the problem, everything runs perfectly fine, still get great gas mileage, no unusual sounds. I read somewhere that detaching the battery for 15 minutes may help. I'll try that today and see what happens. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for me? I just can't see spending $80 for a Toyota tech to plug it in, fix something dumb in 5 minutes and charge me $500 (exaggeration)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need a proper code reader to read the codes on the Prius. A miniVCI from Amazon will do the trick, it runs off 32bit windows operating system. You can also go to Autozone or Advanced Auto to have them read the codes for you.

There has been a few threads about front wheel bearing causing the noises you are describing. You might want to read up on some of those threads.

3. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you waited too long to rotate those tires and the tread or circumference is different. Remember your VSC is real sensitive about how your tires track. I had a problem with a set of tires I got from Americas tire Perrelli they balanced the back one wrong and it scalloped the tread. Then when I moved it to the front VSC!
    Goodyear Integrity fixed it, 3 mpg better too!

iPhone ?

4. MatthewD1215

MatthewD1215 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the feedback, that was the first thing I did upon seeing the warning light. When I went to advanced, they stated their gauges cannot read vsc codes, only codes from the check engine light. How to reset Check engine and VSC warning lights - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums is the forum where I found out how to view the codes without a reader. Would the minivci do more than just allow me to read the codes (I already know it is code 34, or the yaw rate sensor) and clear the codes? I have been looking into the scan gauge II but I'll check the minivci as well.

#4 MatthewD1215, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  5. MatthewD1215

MatthewD1215 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That actually sounds like a very feasible response! The light seemed to trip right after I drove away prior to rotating the tires. They weren't horrible but certainly not in the best of shape. I never thought the vsc system would be so sensitive! How did they fix your problem? New tires or balancing the old? Did you happen to see what code your vehicle was throwing for it to trip the vsc light?

6. MatthewD1215

MatthewD1215 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, I initially thought it was a wheel bearing but then the grinding stopped (once I removed and reattached the front right tire) and the car drives like the day I bought it. Could there still be a problem with a wheel bearing even if it makes no sound and does does impact driving performance?

7. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replaced tires with Goodyear Integrity series

iPhone ?

MatthewD1215 likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could there still be a problem with a wheel bearing even if it makes no sound and does does impact driving performance?

That statement would sound like there's nothing wrong with it. Don't fix what's not broken.........

MatthewD1215 likes this.