1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Transaxle Oil Analysis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jan 5, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Recently I was sent the oil analysis of a 2004 Prius with 110,000 service miles upon its first change. Fortunately, Jeffrey Denenbery shared an even more interesting set of data. First the data:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    0 PdMA @120k total 60k service PdMA @61k PdMA ref element
    1 97 206 1 Fe
    2 20 21 0 Cu
    3 1 3 0 Sn
    4 1 1 0 Pb
    5 1 2 0 Cr
    6 3 7 0 Ni
    7 53 56 1 Al
    8 106 115 109 Ca (additive)
    9 2 5 0 Mn
    10 6 8 0 Zn
    11 264 227 245 P
    12 3 20 0 Ba
    13 64 153 2 Si
    14 0 0 0 Na
    15 59 27 59 B
    16 22.3 21.3 24.6 cTs @40C
    17 4.9 4.7 5.5 cTs @100C
    18 150 144 171 Viscosity Index
    * PdMA is now known as R&G Labs. PdMA results.

OPINION

Obviously the first oil change has significantly improved the outcome of the second 60k miles. Every wear material metric is improved. Best of all, there is no sodium, the signature of a coolant leak.

"Machinery Lubrication" has many articles about the risks of water getting into a lubricated system. Coolants carry a detectable amount of sodium and as long as the transaxle oil test remains free, it will remain in good shape.

One other aspect of water in lubricants is the loss of dielectric strength. There have been a number of NHW11 transaxle failures that involved internal shorts that failed MG2 stator. Sad to say, we've never gotten an oil sample to test. For more details, I would recommend using the search function at:I would like to thank all who have sent oil samples for analysis. But I can not afford sample testing ... now that we have a pool of knowledge. I don't mind sharing what little I've learned but at $20+shipping, it gets a little pricy to also pay the testing fee.

I can not over emphasize the importance of getting an early, transaxle oil change. My 5k change of our 2010 Prius (ZVW30) came back with a high Si and Fe levels. The straight-line viscosity loss suggests a 15k life of the original oil. I suspect we will find the Type WS has a similar if not slightly higher than 60k service interval after the first change.

Bob Wilson

1. Oil and Glycol Don't Mix

2 people like this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. From the above it seems evident that an owner who waits for 100K miles before changing the transaxle fluid is taking unnecessary risk.

I change transaxle fluid at 30K mile intervals, because of the viscosity reduction at that point and because it is easy and relatively inexpensive to do.

It is quite reasonable that an owner who cares about this topic should pay for his/her own oil testing and not expect you to fund that expense.

1 person likes this.
  3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That is my plan too. I have another 6k to go before the next change.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Pat and DogF,

I've been doing changes at 60k intervals (That was my 61k and virgin ATF report in Bob's table - at my cost since Bob shouldn't have to fund us). My 120k ATF report was noticeably better than the first (See attached pdf and notice the reduction in iron content!) so 180k will be next (I'm at 166k now so in about 5 months - report to follow).

I think that after the first 30k ATF change (not a bad choice), extending the interval to 60k would be reasonable.

JeffD

Attached Files:

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Folks,

My apologies for the major rewrite of the original posting. As is my practice and a common courtesy, I sent an e-mail link of the original post to both the original user and their lab. That way if I've gotten something wrong, we can easily correct it. But the follow-up e-mails made it clear my understanding of 'fair use' and intellectual property rights may not match one party's understanding. I'm here for the Prius technology, not splitting legal hares (I meant 'hares' as I'm running away from such folks.) Fortunately, there are other sources who share our technical interest.

All possibly, remotely, copyrighted material has been edited out of my first posting and none of the follow-up postings are at risk. I am securely deleting the original e-mail and data from my personal computer.

Bob Wilson

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm....I wonder if it occurs to the lab(s) that if the info is shared between owners then other owners are probably more likely to use the same lab to see how their results compare. If I can't discuss or share with others, then the usefulness of the analysis is questionable and probably not worth the effort or $.

7. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 full agreement there.

But back OT, I'm assuming the replacement trans oil everyone is talking about comes from Toyota? Any better options out there? I wouldn't mind changing mine extra early especially if it was an "upgrade" in quality.

- D

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Is everyone else getting the "$20+shipping" charge? I was charged $30 + shipping recently for the transaxle oil test ("Basic + viscosity index"). :(

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Personally I won't risk damaging the windings of the motor/generators by not using Toyota specified fluids.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So far, I've looked at several alternatives, Redline(?) Blue Velvet(?), but each one had higher, 40C viscosity than the Type WS. The only oils I've found that even come close are some aircraft turbine oils ... it is that good. There may be a better oil out there but so far, I've not seen it in the oil specifications.

My one test with Amsoil AFT for Type T-IV, NHW11 2001-03 Prius, was not a good experience as the copper rates went too high for my tastes. I suspect there is a materials issue and there was one report that Amsoil is not good for 'yellow metal.' My oil testing supports this claim.

Oil suppliers provide different additives to reduce foaming, expand the viscosity range, reduce friction and improve the oil quality. However, a good design team that knows the materials in the transaxle knows to avoid some additives. For example, molybdenum is found in engine oils but not a trace in the Type WS or Type T-IV oils. I suspect it is hostile to some of the materials in our transaxles ... possibly forming a conductive surface or interacting with magnets. Regardless, I can not recommend any transmission oil that uses it.

Bob Wilson

11. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Amsoil has a new ATF that is supposed to be Dextron VI & WS compatible; I saw it on the shelf at the local auto parts place that stocks Amsoil products. However, I am planning to stick with WS and just change on a 30k interval. I may take another sample and have it evaluated to see how it comes out. I took a sample at 20k, but its still sitting in my garage; I can't justify spending the money while on unemployment.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found it: AMSOIL - Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL)

The 40C/100C viscosity is more than I want for Type WS but it may work with our older, NHW11 transaxles:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    0 40C cTs 100C cTs Transaxle oil
    1 35.3 7.4 Type T-IV
    2 29.8 6.0 Amsoil efficient ATF (*)
    3 24.6 5.5 Type WS

* - includes a copper corrosion metric

I'm still running Type WS in my NHW11 and that experiment has at least one more year.
    You've got your priorities right. I wish I could help but Huntsville AL is a bit of a stretch.

Bob Wilson

13. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cool, thanks for the confirmation. I may just have to plan on doing transaxle at the same time I do my next engine oil change.

- D