1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 prius developed a severe engine vibration (only when engine is running). thoughts? comments?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Denis77, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Denis77

Denis77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 prius developed a severe vibration, but only when the engine is running (even in park). I'm thinking motor mounts, but could there be another cause?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I know your a newbie but you'll get better results posting this in the Gen II Forum under repair. Newbie forum is usually for a howdie do not to post an issue. But Welcome aboard!! :)

And I think your right about the mounts. I seem to remember a TSB possibly for the mounts. You'll get a quick answer in the Gen II.

3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Are you getting a check engine light or any codes for a misfire, a bad plug or one of the 4 coil packs could be going that will cause vibration too.

4. Denis77

Denis77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

5. Denis77

Denis77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'll post on that forum, and no, I don't have a check engine light. The engine does not appear to be missing or running poorly, just the bad vibration. It tends to get better on acceleration, and goes away completely when the engine cuts off.

6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sometimes the check engine light will not show up on a misfire if its intermittent, or goes away. I have seen many a car have this symptom. I had a Snap-on solus pro and could put something near or on each coil pack on the gas trucks and it would give me a reading on how strong the coil packs were, Sometimes I would find a weak coil pack and replace it, other times It would be a plug starting to slightly foul. also clean out your intake manifold of the oil that lays in there start simple and move from there. If you know someone who has something similar to the snap-on that I had, I would go there and also check the mounts too as stated above by a previous poster.

good luck

7. Gus21

Gus21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

8. Gus21

Gus21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi there. I have the same year Prius 2005 and this started happening the other day did you figure out what the problem was. Please let me know thanks.