1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Gen II Prius died while driving, Red Triangle, trac Control and CEL all came on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chavezone, Apr 13, 2014.

1. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So my daughter has a 2006 120,000 miles Gen II Prius, she called to tell me she started driving today and although it still shows 2 bars left worth of gas while driving she said it seemed to lack power which leads me to believe that it might be fuel related, she drove a few more blocks and as soon as the battery was all used up the check engine light, traction control light the large red triangle came on then soon after the car shut down and now is unresponsive.

Can any of you pros help point me in the right direction and help me figure out what is possibly wrong with it, the car is about 2 hours away so I have no way of checking the codes or is there a way to check the CEL codes from inside the car

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably ran out of gas. The gas meter is not all that accurate. Put in some gas and try again. You might have to dis connect the battery to reset the lights

SM-N900P ?

3. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah , told her to try that, she put in 1 gallon of gas and she said the car ran for a minute then stalled again so I dont think that is the problem

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Takes more than one gallon of gas, add at least three more gallons in one session. In other words, don't add just two and think it will be okay. Has to have a minimum of three gallons added in one session before the Prius will again register the fuel and start pumping fuel again. Then unhook the battery and try again.

If that doesn't work, the codes will have to be pulled. Might be the big battery too, but hope it is just out of gas.

Ron (dorunron)

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Also could be the 12 V battery going dead.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Add some fuel.
    2. If the amount of fuel added is less than 3-4 gallons at one time, then disconnect the 12V battery negative cable where it bolts to the body. Need a 10 mm wrench for this purpose.
    3. Wait two minutes, then reconnect the battery negative cable. The purpose of this is to force the Prius to read the new fuel level and to clear existing DTC.
    4. Try to make the Prius READY. If it becomes READY, go to the nearest gasoline station and fill the tank.
    5. Resolve not to allow the fuel level to drop down to the level previously reached when the car had a problem. Therefore, refuel no later than when the fuel gauge shows 3 bars.
    6. If the Prius will not become READY after adding fuel and disconnecting/reconnecting the 12V battery, then the car must be towed for professional assistance.
    7. If the car can be made READY, after the car returns home, put a battery charger on the 12V battery overnight and see how long it takes before the charger thinks the 12V battery is fully-charged.

The point of the above is to take care of the fuel level and assess the 12V battery condition, which are two of the likely reasons why the Prius may experience a driveability problem.

cwerdna likes this.
  7. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok I had her go to the diagnostic screen and it said it only had 6.7 volts, I bought the car 2 years ago so I dont know if the battery id original, do I need to replace the battery or should I have her get a jump start and then check the battery voltage again after driving it, I didnt knmow these batteries were so damn expensive, .

Anyone have alternatives to Auto Zones $260 battery

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, your daughter can get a jumpstart but she must be absolutely sure not to reverse battery polarity or else run the risk of damaging the inverter. She will need to get a new 12V battery, regardless of whether she gets a jumpstart or not.

Another purpose of getting the jumpstart now is to confirm whether the car can be driven, or whether some other issue exists.

Your daughter can see what the local Toyota dealer parts dept price is on the 12V battery, tomorrow. If she is lucky it will be <$200 not counting installation labor.

9. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome !!! Thanks for all your guy's help, I am having her get a jump now, will let you know

10. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So she got a jump and the battery charged to 13v she tried to start it , everything came on except the dash console where the mileage is the center console is unaffected , no red triangle but the car will only go into Neutral, she said the gas engine is not kicking on at all like it usually does when you first start the car.

She didnt reset the battery by disconnecting the negative to reset to CEL, could that be it?

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes try to disconnect the battery for 10 seconds, reconnect and start it, if it doesn't start, then jump it.

12. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You disconnect the positive , correct?

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I prefer negative

SM-N900P ?

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The reason to disconnect the negative side first is that in the event the wrench contacts the body metal, there is no problem. If this happens when the positive cable is being unbolted (while the negative cable is still connected) then this will result in an electrical short which can be very dangerous if the 12V battery is in good condition.

15. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ok I am pretty sure it is the battery, she put in 2 more gallons of gas and reset the system by removing the negative terminal then got another jump, it started right up gas engine and all then it ran for a minute then everything died all except the check engine light and the car is completely unresponsive again and now the gas guage said 3 bars so i am pretty sure it wasn't a fuel problem. I am going to call the toyota dealer in her town tomorrow morning to get an estimate.

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your daughter can take a slightly more complex instruction: have her disconnect the 12V battery as before. Then jumpstart the Prius without the failed 12V battery connected, and see if the car will remain running.

It is possible that the engine is spinning via MG1, without actually powering up. See if the RPM will increase when the accelerator pedal is pressed. If not then you will know the engine is not actually working.

17. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry you lost me at MG1, is that the equivalent of the alternator

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MG1 is one of the motor generators within the transaxle. One of its functions is to act as a starter motor when the gasoline engine needs to be started.

Another function is that it will help the gasoline engine to spin at appropriate speeds given accelerator pedal input from the driver and vehicle speed, based upon input from the hybrid vehicle ECU to the inverter.

A third function is that it will develop high voltage three-phase AC electrical power which is routed through the inverter to charge the traction battery.

The DC/DC converter within the inverter plays the role of the alternator as it converts high voltage DC from the traction battery to ~13.8VDC supplying the low voltage electrical accessories on the 12V bus.

If the car can be made READY with the 12V battery disconnected and the car jumpstarted, then disconnect the jumpstart cables and the car can be driven home or wherever. Obviously, once the car is powered down it cannot be powered back up without a good 12V battery or another jumpstart. But at least you will know whether the 12V battery is the only remaining issue or not.

It is possible that the root cause of your daughter's car's problem is low fuel which caused the engine to stop, placing stress on the electrical system when your daughter continued to drive the car, and resulted in the 12V battery failure. An alternative explanation is that the 12V battery just decided to have a shorted cell or two while your daughter was driving which unduly loaded the DC/DC converter and caused the car to stall as voltage to the ECUs dropped below the minimum acceptable level for them to continue their operation.

SFO likes this.
  19. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am sure she can do it, she is pretty good at following directions.
    So I will have her disconnect the battery and jump start it from the wires directly, then once the car is on leave them unhooked it should stay on then have her hit the gas pedal and the engine should rev up.

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct. The jumpstart cables would be connected as follows: the positive cable connects to the Prius battery cable with the red plastic terminal protector; while the negative cable connects to the Prius body metal, someplace which is unpainted and exposed. One good possibility would be the unpainted metal bracket of the brake power supply (the large black rectangular box) which is adjacent to the 12V battery.

Once the Prius is READY, disconnect the jumpstart cables and see if the engine will actually rev up when the accelerator pedal is depressed. If yes, then hopefully the car can be driven. Your daughter should leave the Prius READY until she has reached her final destination for the evening.