1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006--multiple warning lights, won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GreenMeanie, Feb 4, 2014.

1. GreenMeanie

GreenMeanie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I most recently drove my 2006 Prius around on Saturday Feb. 1, with no problems at all. I went out of town for a couple of days, and returned this afternoon to a car that will not start. I stepped on the brake, pushed Power, and things lit up, the "Ready" light flashed a few times but then went off. Power button light stayed orange. Several warning lights on dash stayed on (!)/ABS/VSC/traction control, and a message came on the screen saying something about a problem with "P" parking, and that it should be parked level and the parking brake applied. It is sitting level with the parking brake applied already. Also, the door ajar warning light and beep start as soon as you open the car door to get in.

I called local dealer and they refused to give me a diagnosis over the phone, but said it could be a "uh uh uh uh uh, a switch!" (seriously, that many "uh's"). They insist that I bring it in for $110 in diagnostics, and who knows how much after that.

I've tried starting it several times but it seems to get weaker each time (now the screen doesn't come on at all). I live in San Diego, and the weather has gotten cool for us (40s at night), but I don't think that's the problem. I'm thinking from what I've read that my 12v battery has died/is dying. Any suggestions on how not to get taken advantage of and have this fixed? Would the battery still be under warranty? I'm the original owner, bought car in March 2006, and it has just under 61,000 miles on it. On top of all that, I let my AAA expire years ago because I had so much faith in Toyota, so now I'll have to pay to have it towed to get repaired.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? is it the original 12 volt? that could be the problem. no warranty, you can take it anywhere. prices with install should range from $200. to $300. pays to shop around. all the best!(y)

3. GreenMeanie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, original 12v, 61k miles. Are you thinking $200-$300 is what a dealer would charge? And I thought I read that the 12v warranty is good for 10 years...or is that not the case?

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sounds like the 12 volt battery is weak and needs to be replaced. If it the original battery, it is over due for replacement.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can change the battery yourself. You can expect to pay $150 to $200 or slightly more for the correct battery depending on source and brand of battery you purchase. The choice is slim due to the post configuration of the battery and the fact that it is a AGM type battery.

I recommend the OEM Toyota battery which can be purchased from Toyota. Others here will recommend the "Yellow Top" and the "Exide" Brand Battery. If you pay someone to install your battery, you could expect to pay an additional $50 to $150 for the labor.

It takes about an hour to swap the battery and very few tools are needed. Refer to this link Procedure for 12V battery replacement. | PriusChat and download the PDF file posted there that details how to do it. There are also instructions in the second link in my signature. Read post #8 in the string for the details. There is also a video on that string that shows the swap.

I suggest you not try to jump start the Prius, but rather go ahead and install a new battery at this point. There are a lot of horror stories here on Prius Chat about folks jump starting and then facing large repair bills due to incorrect jumping.

Best of luck to you, and I hope this info helps you.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are confusing the traction battery warranty with the 12 volt. The 12 volt is usually covered 3 years/36 thousand miles. You will have to pay for the new battery plus the labor unless you do the work yourself.

6. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know of an AGM battery from chain auto parts stores that would make an emergency fit?

7. GreenMeanie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Dorunron--Ohhh...thank you for clarifying the battery warranty issue, and thank you very much for your info on the battery switch-out. I will probably not do it myself. I took Auto Shop in 12th grade, but, as with my high school Spanish, I've forgotten nearly everything due to non-use (I also don't have a socket wrench). I just hope I can find a reliable place to do the work for that price. Again, thank you.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, some carry the optima direct replacement for prius. make sure it's fully charged before leaving.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the dealer will be at the top end of the price range, around $300.

10. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let me clarify: besides the Optima is there another option? Would a small riding lawn mower style battery work in an emergency?

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I understand, I would suggest you use a local mechanic you know and trust rather than the dealer. The dealer will not simply install a new battery for you. They will want to do diagnostics first before making the actual repair.

Whereas if you were to use a independent and said I want you to swap the battery they will do the work for you and probably be cheaper.

Whatever you do, make sure you get the correct AGM type battery that has the vent hole and the small reversed JIS posts. As I said earlier, there are only three or four batteries out there that are considered a true "drop in" battery.

Best of luck to you!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exide is another replacement. just about anything will work in an emergency, but the battery posts come in different sizes, so hooking up a non prius spec could be difficult. if you just need to start it to get it to a repairshop, pick up one of those starter charger units and connect it to the jump post under the hood.

13. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm considering going to Walmart w/ a tape measure and finding the cheapest lead-acid I can find that's 8"x10"x5" and rigging those posts up with duct tape and cable ties if that's what it takes.

Like I said it's an emergency and I don't have $300 to blow. I have $50 tops.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you tried charging your battery? A group 51 battery might work, but you would need an adapter for the posts. This really is not a good idea, you should invest in a sealed unit.

SM-N900P ?

15. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You could nurse the thing along with one of those $50 jump packs, but I'd still recommend getting at least the Optima. You can occasionally find them at Advance Auto or streetsideauto.com for well under $200.

If you choose the jump pack, make sure you understand how to jump the car, don't reverse polarity and understand the risks you're taking with other electrical components.

16. GreenMeanie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, OP here...I had arranged for a tow, went out this morning and the car started right up! Like normal. WTH?

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is typical of a weak and dying battery. Sometimes they will set and regain enough charge to go again. Sometimes not. I still suggest you get a new battery. It would not surprise me if the warm weather had a play in this also. I see it is in the 60's there in Cali at the moment.

18. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Labor $50-$150? Lol. Who's going to pay that. When you can it yourself. 10-15 min max
    Why? Cause I've done it my self. Yellow top battery

19. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that $150 labor to change a 12v battery in a Gen II Prius would be high.
    No one would take a full hour to change the 12v.

But I am also certain that it will take more than 10 minutes to change it.
    Toyota did not make things exactly easy back there.

20. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, it took me about 90 minutes. Of course, I went slow and "scared." If I had to do it again, maybe 35 minutes?

My local Toyota DEALERS (multiple) wanted between $250-$280 to supply replacement 84-month battery and install it.