1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 prius engine high revs stopped at stoplight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by martinsw, Jan 7, 2011.

1. martinsw

martinsw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday, when I stopped at a stoplight, level terrain, with battery fully charged (SOC=all green bars) foot off gas and on the brake - the ICE reved fairly high (maybe 2500 to 3000 rpm- lack of meaningful 'gauges' is a favorite pet peeve of mine on this vehicle) for three or four seconds. I was in the process of putting my left foot on the brake in order to tap the gas pedal with my right foot to see what would happen, when the light turned green and I continued on. No SES lights or anything (still dont have OBDII code reader to check for codes but planning to pick one up).

I have had the recall for floormat/gas pedal issue - and am pretty darn sure nothing was pushing the gas pedal when this happened.

I have had similar occurrances to this over the past few/several months, but the revs didnt go as high (maybe 1500 rpm). In fact I took it to the dealer a few weeks back with concern on the hybrid batt pack (goes from purple low bars to all green in a couple of miles driving on level ground) and also told them about the engine reving at stop lights. The dealer said no codes were found and the voltages from the 19 banks were good (listed in printout), so they 'washed' both the car, and their hands of the problem until codes get thrown.

I have ~ 138,000 miles on this, do my own maint (plugs, brakes, coolants, engine oil n filter, tranny fluid, etc.).

Anyone else experience this type of thing or have ideas on what might be causing it. The higher revs this time has me a bit more concerned something is going amiss in the ECU or other electronics. Searched and didnt find anything else like this...

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. svllee

svllee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi there. I have a Gen 2 2004 with 75k miles. I have had a couple of instances last year with the engine revving on its own but unlike your case, I was lifted off and cruising down a small gradient at high speed, around 75-80 mph on the motorway.

As I blipped the pedal the over revving eased and I can just continue driving it as normal. I think it's a normal case of engine braking at speed, but I can't say it's the same in your case since you are stopped.

Steven

4. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was your engine adequately warmed up when this happened?

I have 2005 Model. I have had this happen four or five times so far. RPM was around 2200 on most other occasions. Only once it was 3000+. Engine was warm on all occasions (170 F and above). It would not go off despite getting foot off. Once I was in parking lot when this happened. Only powering the car off stopped the engine. However other than engine revving up, car was always perfectly within control. Even with foot off of brake it would roll as usual.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...9887-ice-ran-high-rpm-no-apparent-reason.html

Would it be that with battery fully charged ( thus no electrical load on engine) and not much load on engine, it will just rev up to use whatever fuel is supplied in frictional load? Something like what would happen when you would press gas pedal in a conventional car while in Neutral or in Parking gear.

To me engine should have been turned off or fuel supply cut off which generally does happen. But like john1701a suggested in other thread it may be some house keeping event.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You state that the SOC was all green bars. My guess is that the ICE was spun up to bleed off the excess energy to protect the battery. This is normal.

1 person likes this.
  6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ICE revving while stopped is not uncommon when you have full 8 green bar SOC. It's just dumping excess charge.

Getting full SOC on level ground is a little unusual though. So forget the revving that's normal, just concentrate on the SOC thing, that's the root cause.

1 person likes this.
  7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is most likely the correct answer. The engine does not actually run in this situation. It is spun as a load for MG1 - works as a big air pump - to burn off excess charge in the HV battery. You typically see this after a lot of regenerative braking, such as coming down a hill.

Tom

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never seen anything like this in 6 years driving an 04 and 08.:confused: had 8 green bars plenty of times.

9. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You were probably just under the trigger point where the ICE will spin up.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It takes more than 8 green bars. That's why it throws away energy, to stay at only 8 green bars.

I've seen it routinely on climbing trips out west. In Michigan we don't have enough vertical drop to get it, except under very special circumstances.

Tom

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got a big hill with traffic lights at the bottom near here and if I start the descent with 6 or more bars SOC then it's usually 8 bars at the bottom and if I get the red light then the extra regeneration from stopping throws it into "spin out" mode every time. Funnily enough it often doesn't start doing it until after I've been stopped at the light s for a few seconds and then it starts dumping charge (spinning).

Lately if been deliberately trying to make it run in EV mode prior to when I get to this hill to knock a little bit off the SOC before I start the descent. Seems to be working pretty well as I haven't seen over 7 bars there for a while.

12. martinsw

martinsw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the inputs so far.

My 12 volt batt is original, but reads between 12.3 and 12.8 volts when off, good charge voltage of ~ 14 when engine running. I'd rather not replace that unitl it actually goes bad vice 'just in case'.

I wouldn't have thought the ICE would run to bleed off excess charge - do they not fire the spark plugs to do that? It is good to hear others have this type of problem ( I also see the high revs going down a long hill - but usually in brake mode and just thought the CVT just went into lower gear...).

I do think my SOC is the bigger concern (although the dealer doesn't think so). I have owned this since new and earlier in its life the SOC didn't go from low to full so fast, as it now does. I will keep and eye on it, be nice if the battery pack goes bad before my warrenty expires at 150,000 miles - but I bet toyota is hoping the opposite...

13. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will watch GPH and SOC on my scanguage next time it happens. At least once when it happened I had gotten down a 100 ft hill and then parked at bottom of hill. The problem happened when I started again.

I have had this happen when I was rolling down hills and when I saw SOC was full. That I fully understand, I would say car is using something equivalent of 'B' Mode.

But to get rid of excess charge, the motor would have to turn in opposite direction thus revving up engine further. Does Prius do that? GPH in this situation must be not consistent with RPM.

14. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you SOC was ALL eight green bars, you may have over-charged your battery. What happens is, in the Prius, when your battery gets to it's full limit, your engine will turn on and actually burn off electricity. (Prius like for battery charge to be between 20%-80%). So naturally, if your SOC goes over it's comfortable limit, the engine will burn off access electricity.

15. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oops, wrong thread....

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep that's right, MG1 just spins the engine like it was a great big air pump and that's how it dumps any excess battery power.

Seriously it's not a problem. It really is normal behavior that is totally well known and well understood. Not everyone has personally experienced it because not everyone drives on the sort of terrain that's prone to giving 8 green bars SOC (and then some).

Yep definitely that's the thing to watch. As I said before that is the root cause, the engine revving is merely a consequence.

BTW. While it's rare to get full SOC on level ground (as it usually happens on large descents) I think it would be possible with fairly aggressive driving. I know that with lots of repeated acceleration and braking I can crank up the SOC. Normally when I'm driving on relatively flat terrain my SOC sits at 5 to 6 blue bars. But sometimes when I accelerate hard from a traffic light only to have to brake hard for the next set of lights and that gets repeated a few times then I get 7 bars. Has your driving style changed at all recently?